NFL Regular Season

Mexal

What's funny is that I don't really know what we're fighting about. I've already said that Brady is the best ever...now we're just quibbling about if he's the best or bestest best? I've already said the Pats were dominant last year. Heck, I've even said the Pats are really dominant this year.

Apparently Rock won't be happy until everyone acknowledges that Brady is the temporal master of the universe and has the power to heal the blind and turn straight men gay.

Finally got to look at the FO report for the wild card in 2009...and it's pretty interesting. I had forgotten the comparison between Warner and Brady or how Warner had that absurd game that week against GB.

But yeah, FO likes that game Brady had even less than traditional stats. His second worst game ever?

Is there anyone out there who actually feels good about their team right now? Everything looks sloppy as hell for the Ravens, and the offensive line is close to total disaster territory. One of the projected starters has been nicknamed "Turnstile" by one of the columnists.

I feel great about the Bears going into the season. Why? Because I have zero expectation about a team I think can do no better than 8-8, and that's provided they neuter Mike Martz and balance the offense the way they did in the second half of last season before Jay Cutler is killed. And since I don't think they've done that to him and Jay'll end up concussed or with a leg injury before the end of the third game, I have no expectations and so I don't feel apprehensive about them at all.

What's funny is that I don't really know what we're fighting about.

Fair point. MY only quibble, really, is that Brady is, apparently, in decline even though he just had one of the ten best seasons by a QB in NFL history. And the rationale appears to be that its because he did not have THE best season (and he would have to surpass ... himself). I really won't even get into the warped logic it would take to explain to me that Brady's 2009 season was better than his 2010 season (you know- the one where he passed for 3900 yards, 36 TDs and 4 INTs and was the unanimous MVP winner?). I guess there are some things I am not meant to understand. That's my overriding issue - its horrible, horrible logic. And its uncanny because THIS season, unless Brady passes for 51 TDs, kal will say "See- in decline." Infuriating.

I've already said that Brady is the best ever...now we're just quibbling about if he's the best or bestest best?

Bestest best. I brook no compromise on this point.

Apparently Rock won't be happy until everyone acknowledges that Brady is the temporal master of the universe and has the power to heal the blind and turn straight men gay.

He ... he has the power to turn straight men gay. Just ... just go with me on this one...

I feel great about the Bears going into the season. Why? Because I have zero expectation about a team I think can do no better than 8-8, and that's provided they neuter Mike Martz and balance the offense the way they did in the second half of last season before Jay Cutler is killed. And since I don't think they've done that to him and Jay'll end up concussed or with a leg injury before the end of the third game, I have no expectations and so I don't feel apprehensive about them at all.

I'm not really sure that feeling like your team can do no better than 8-8 qualifies as "feeling great" about them. This is what I might instead refer to as resignation. I would know about this sad acceptance of mediocrity-at-best, because that's life as an Orioles fan.

I'm not really sure that feeling like your team can do no better than 8-8 qualifies as "feeling great" about them. This is what I might instead refer to as resignation. I would know about this sad acceptance of mediocrity-at-best, because that's life as an Orioles fan.

It's different.

The Bears were great. The 49ers were great. The Ravens never were, though they've had a Championship and many threatening seasons in the meantime.

And since you mention the Orioles, the Giants are the winning-est team in baseball and are currently the World Champions, while the Sox have recently been there as well. The Cubs... well, let's not talk about the Cubs.

It's not the same at all. We, for better or for worse, no matter how stupid, expect victory. It's refreshing to finally not.

Really, guys? Can't we just all find something to agree on, like picking on Jaxom and his love of all things that rhyme with Sex Dosecan?

Bah. The Sex Cannon will never be the equal if of Neckbeard...

Resignation? Nah. Knowing the team will blow, I'm comfortable with that. So I feel great. No need to overthink things gives me all kinds of warm feelings...

Resignation? Nah. Knowing the team will blow, I'm comfortable with that. So I feel great. No need to overthink things gives me all kinds of warm feelings...

I find this a little sad. Even for a bad team you should be able to amp yourself up and talk yourself into your chances on any given game. Maybe today the ball will bounce your way and something crazy will happen. Otherwise what's the point of being a fan? I guess I won't understand this supposed post-greatness vibe for a long time, if ever.

I really won't even get into the warped logic it would take to explain to me that Brady's 2009 season was better than his 2010 season
Well, it's really simple logic, actually. According to DYAR - you know, what you used earlier - 2009 was a better season than 2010. This is almost certainly because 2009 the Pats faced a murderer's row of pass defenses in their prime - the Jets twice (and they were better that year than 2010), the Ravens, the Steelers, and a host of other folks. It was a brutal schedule by comparison to 2010, and as a result the adjusted quality of Brady's performance rose.

In absolute numbers? Sure, 36/4 is better than whatever it was in 2009. Factor in the defenses? Becomes another story.

That's my overriding issue - its horrible, horrible logic. And its uncanny because THIS season, unless Brady passes for 51 TDs, kal will say "See- in decline." Infuriating.
Again, hard to say that 'by DYAR, 2010 was worse than 2009'. That's very simple logic. Now, you might disagree with DYAR or DVOA or FO's system (and there is plenty of room to improve there) but I figured since you used the stats to show how great he did before that you were okay with using them in general. So...in 2009, he had a DYAR of 2170. In 2010, it was 2137. It's not a huge drop, but it's not higher.

And Rock, I told you how easy it would be to disprove me. If Brady has a better DYAR than last year, there ya go! If he doesn't, that makes three consecutive seasons that his DYAR has decreased.

My wife made a good middle statement. She thinks that Brady is not in decline - decline is too strong of a word, she says - but she does think that since the injury he's lost a step. which means her theory is that he's not as good as he was in 2007 (and will never come close to that) but won't continually keep getting worse and worse, just plateaus at where he is now. That's probably a more accurate statement and is borne out better by the stats, given that 2009 and 2010 were so similar in DYAR. The corrolary to this is that if he's being more cautious with his body chances are he'll have a longer career and be more successful for longer.

I find this a little sad. Even for a bad team you should be able to amp yourself up and talk yourself into your chances on any given game. Maybe today the ball will bounce your way and something crazy will happen. Otherwise what's the point of being a fan? I guess I won't understand this supposed post-greatness vibe for a long time, if ever.
It's the difference between being a realistic fan and a fanatic one. I'll always hope that the Bears do great and will love it when they do - but this year at least I won't be expecting them to. By comparison, it's gotten to the point where I fully expect the Ducks to be awesome for a while now. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but in general I find people are happiest when they have lowered expectations and then the results exceed them.

It's not the same at all. We, for better or for worse, no matter how stupid, expect victory. It's refreshing to finally not.

As a fellow 49ers fan, I know logically that I should feel this way. The thing is, come Sunday, logic flies out the window and I'm reduced to a raving, slavering mess of an idiot who expects nothing less than a victory. The 49ers are my personal Gamma Ray. MANHOLE SMASH!

My wife made a good middle statement. She thinks that Brady is not in decline - decline is too strong of a word, she says - but she does think that since the injury he's lost a step. which means her theory is that he's not as good as he was in 2007 (and will never come close to that) but won't continually keep getting worse and worse, just plateaus at where he is now. That's probably a more accurate statement and is borne out better by the stats, given that 2009 and 2010 were so similar in DYAR. The corrolary to this is that if he's being more cautious with his body chances are he'll have a longer career and be more successful for longer.

While I do not even agree that he has lost a step, I think your wife's posture is sound. We should submit all of our disputes to her. She'll be our NFL Thread Hague.

Ah. That might happen! It might even make things brighter. And of course I want my team to win, so when they do it's all gravy. But since I have very little faith in the direction this season, I'm not going to get myself worked up over it. I've chosen to take the high road this season. Expect nothing and I can't be disappointed. I can still root for Cutler to survive and Peppers and the defense to do great. I just have this sense that the coaching will let too many people down. I choose to not be one that's let down. So consequently I can enjoy the football for the game it's meant to be and not get all worked up when Roy Williams drops another ball...

Archived