MLB: Offseason Sweepstakes Edition

Myshkin

Zambrano to the Marlins for Volstadd...Cubs to pick up about 15 million of the contract.

Pretty decent trade if Volstadd can put it together. Cubs had to pay Zambrano anyway and maybe Ozzie can calm that fire...or maybe he'll make it worse...

ESPN's reported that thus far six groups have gotten initial clearance from MLB to bid on the Dodgers (including one with Torre as a member); that fucker McCourt is gonna end up with an awful lot of money out of all this.

In on-the-field news, I've heard that right now the Nationals are the front-runner to get Prince Fielder. I guess they finally think they're ready to take the leap. I dunno if they are but so long as they keep those $5 tix they're gonna be awfully fun team to watch in person. They already are when Strasburg's on the mound.

Fuck Theo Epstein and Jed hoyer. They better make something happen and do it right now. Fucking volstad is more likely to be non tendered than significant contribute we are paying a decent pitcher to pitch elsewhere.

We aren't the fucking royals. We can outspend our division by 25prc there is no reason we should ever start sprin training without a legit shot at the division.

Fuck these dickheads. Do something you baby face fucks. You little dork fucks.

So base running is th new on base percentage. Great. Gimme more Ian Stewart. Can't wait for the bad weak hitting corner outfielder chapter in money ball two.

The red sox had like 4 hall of famers. They won with big sticks an acestarters. Go get prince fielder ugh now you shitheads.

They aren't assembling undervalued parts by penetrating market inefficiencies the are getting guys who suck slashing payroll and tanking a season. That's unacceptable. The premier market bg spender in a weak division should never field cellar squad on purpose.

The goal isn't to win a world series it's to compete for your division very year. Make the postseason as many times as you can. Hope that yo click at the righ time and get the world series. This is a winnable division and hoyer Epstein are pussin out to stick some 5 year plan bullshit fuck them.

Respect to big Z for a great cub career. Respect to aramis as well. Don't shit on my franchise you baby face douche fucks. I'd be cool with them losing some of these guys who have had great 10 year runs as a cub if it was in the name of building a Good team. They are building a pile of dogshit. This isn't about you hoyer Epstein rickets. It's not about your legacy. Big z has a far greater legacy than any of pur fucks will even if you win 5 world series as team execs. Respect to the guys who get it done on the field. Dont dump a great cub to make the dumbass fans happy because they are racist. Ian Stewart sucks ass. David dejesus is at best serviceable. I doubt any of the onc promising and now failed TUP guys they are collecting ever do anything.

I'm going to bed somebody wake me up when garza gets traded for 3 guys who suck.

So typical.

Have a little faith. But then, you didn't like the Theo hire, did you? Compete right away in a weakened division? Sure that would be perfect, but to saddle a team with a number of anchor contracts for guys that might or might not panout longer term? Been there, done that. Jim Hendry effed this team royally in "going for it". I don't fault him for trying, but the method was obviously severly flawed.

I love Soriano, but I'm not going to be sorry to see him out of left field when that day comes. He's still servicable, but he's so very way over paid.

I was a Zambrano partisian for a long while because I kept expecting the lightbulb to come on and he'd suddenly have that season that he should have been having on a regular basis but that ran out last year. He still might have the potential to have a couple good seasons, but it wasn't going to happen here. Cheers to him. But that the Cubs got anything close to a actual player who's played in the majors and saved a few of the bucks in the process is a good move.

Ramirez, well, it would have been nice if he'd have stayed for a couple more years at a lower salary. Hope it works out for him up I94, but I suspect he'll pull a similar script as the last couple seasons with a really slow start that lasts until mid to late June. If, and I stress if, Theo pulls off a move to land Prince, I'll take that trade in production.

You gotta get your head outta the past, Cal. It's a new day and a new regime. If I'm faced with another year similar to the last couple, I'm not worse off than I was before and if that means that suddenly 2013 and 2014 the tables are turned, well let's be honest, you'd be the first one here going, "FUCK YEAH, THEO! YEAHHHHHH!"...

I dont think Hendry was smart, but the push they made in the offseason before 2007 was a success. Soriano of course was overpaid but his hand was forced to go out and sign a big name. A big market high payroll team can handle a really bad contract and still remain consistently successful. 2008 was the best Cubs team of my lifetime (I was not alive in 1984). The major mistake was giving Bradley the deal and not Ibanez and then dealing Derosa (not a bad deal because we essentually got Garza out of it) and expecting Fontenot's limited situatianal matchup success to translate into everyday success.

We were still good in 2009. In 2010, they panicked on Bradley and saddled us with Carlos Silva, Lee declined, Aramis had his one bad season, and the bullpen was absolutely horrendous. Quite frankly that team wasnt a disaster on paper, it was just that you big free agent deal from the previous year flopped, your two best hitters had abysmal years and your bullpen couldnt get outs. Couple that with the idiodic handling of Big Z (that I think is really the reason we have to pay him to play fort Miami).

So in short I reject the idea that spending between 2006 and 2007 is why we are in a mess and glorious boy genius has to dig us out and be patient for two pathetic seasons because boy genius has to shovel away all the crap before he can build a beautiful cloud house for silver spoon man because it takes two full seasons for boy genius to shovel away all of the poopoo.

Hendry had begun the process of cutting salary, and other than Soriano and to a lesser extent Big Z, we dont have any bad contracts on the books (Dempster is more or less reasonable). Other than those 3 deals, Marmol and Byrd are the only in place contracts that theo was handed. Thats about as clean a start as a new GM is gonna get from a fired GM in a big market.

I was excited to get babyfaces because I thought they would come in and make linear moves cogent to winning baseball games and they havent made a single move that improves the team. Its January now and P&C report in 5 weeks.

If they go to mesa with a team that baseball prospectus projects to win 70 games, its simply unnacceptable for a big spender, divisional big market.

I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and I actually feel really good about the Cubs. Not because of the changes in regime and personnel that is going on.

But because I finally have come to grips with the fact that we will never win a World Series. It's never going to happen. The Cubs will continue to underachieve and even good years will see them fail miserably in the playoffs.

Other fans need learn to understand and live with this simple fact, and just enjoy watching the Cubs play. And hey, if one day they actually do manage to remove their heads from their anuses long enough to actually win something? All the better.

But really, once you convince yourself that no, next year is not the year and neither is the year after, or the year after that, or the year after that, or the year after that or the decade after that, well, it just becomes easier.

Ive always realized that anything goes in the playoffs. All ive ever asked is that they are in position to possibly make the playoffs on September 15th. Make it interesting for all 6 months. I dont require world series wins. I just require a compentent team. I want to be a Braves fan.

You Cub fans, always bringing the ha ha funny.

Apparently not all of us... :P

I'm a lifelong Cubs fan and I actually feel really good about the Cubs. Not because of the changes in regime and personnel that is going on.

But because I finally have come to grips with the fact that we will never win a World Series. It's never going to happen. The Cubs will continue to underachieve and even good years will see them fail miserably in the playoffs.

Other fans need learn to understand and live with this simple fact, and just enjoy watching the Cubs play. And hey, if one day they actually do manage to remove their heads from their anuses long enough to actually win something? All the better.

But really, once you convince yourself that no, next year is not the year and neither is the year after, or the year after that, or the year after that, or the year after that or the decade after that, well, it just becomes easier.

See, I find it easier to take the realistic long view as each season starts and rate it on it's potential merits coming out of Spring Training. Couching my expectations in March and April, I can't be let down in August and September when the season has imploded in June and July.

I refuse to bow to the stereotype expected from the culture that has been cultivated over the last 100 years.

This is why I feel good about the Cubs. Tom Ricketts truly does want to change the culture of what it means to be a Cubs fan. I admit I was starting to get a little skeptical, but this offseason has brought me around and I believe in what he's done. Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer will change the culture of Cubdom. I do not know if it means there will be a World Series in the end, but I do know it will be more enjoyable to watch as the team builds to that goal.

You're wrong about the culture. It has nothing to do with "loveable loser" and everything to do with becoming a culture based on accountability.

He can spend all he wants, but like I tell my clients, "I want to spend your money, but I want to spend it wisely." No more throwing money at the wall and hoping it sticks.

Ok. Why not? We cleared like 40mil off the books and are in need of a 1rst baseman. Why not be in on Prince? I loved cashner but he didnt have the durability to be an MLB starter and to get a #1 prospect at 1rst Base for him is a pretty great haul. Rizzo was kinda the centerpiece for Adrian Gonzalez.

Archived