MLB: Offseason Sweepstakes Edition

Myshkin

Maybe V Mart can play 3rd? Its been 4 years and 60 pounds since Miggy played third. No way he can field that position competently and I no way he can make this transistion and not affect his bat. This is just stupid.

Plus these fat guys better age well. They are adding weight in their mid 20s whats gonna happen in the the early 30s when they are making $55mln between them with Cabrera ripping tubes and hammering back maddog and prince is funnelling hummus in the clubhouse and Verlander is making $300 over 12 years with the Yankees.

And also. How the hell does Boras keep on performing these miracles. Basically everything I followed was saying 6-7 year range was the max length realistically that prince could get given the reasonable assumption of body mass driven decline and the lack of interested parties.

I dont get it. The Cubs pulled themselves out by getting an MLB ready top prospect at 1rst, the rangers posted 50 and signed darvish for another 60, the yankess have claimed they are getting out of the lux tax by 2015, and the angels got pujols.

Other teams with that kind of money like boston, philly, are set at 1rst base or are in bankrupcy like LAD and NYM.

This is ridiculous who was bidding against Dombrowski? How did he get that kind of money for tha long a deal, its absurd. The market for him was abnormally small this year.

This is ridiculous who was bidding against Dombrowski? How did he get that kind of money for tha long a deal, its absurd. The market for him was abnormally small this year.

Caliban, that is right on. I mean, there was nothing even in the media about an 8 year deal by other teams, and like you said, so many of the big-money teams were not even really in the race. The Tigers may well have beaten the next highest by something like 2 years and $50 million. Maybe more if it turns out other teams were topping out at 6 years. It's totally nuts.

Illitch is like 400 years old and wants to make a WS push soon, before he's not around to watch. Y'all are right, though, objectively, it's a fuckin' stupid deal

• 3 weeks later...

The Gary Carter who played for the Mets was but a shadow of the great player for the Expos.

True, but I think if people were polled about him, more would answer Game 6, 1986 than Montreal - or any of the other accomplishments he had.

Whatever the uniform, there have been very few that played the game the way he did - as a game, with the passion an adult can have and the enjoyment a kid can have. Puckett seemed to be another, though I didn't see nearly as much of him.

Ah...glorious day. Pitchers and Catchers report...

And, Cal, what were you going to do with a returned Fukudome? I wanted great things from the guy, but for some reason his skill set just never translated to the Major Leagues in the way it should have...you're still stuck with Soriano in left, Byrd's playing center and DeJesus in right. Reed Johnson as your 4 and Campana as your 5 is acceptable in this scheme of things. There was no point in bringing him back.

Hyperpissed about the sox getting fukudome for nothing. Megapissed all my front office seems to give a shit about is cubans 4 years away from the bigs. Jumbopissed at having nothing to look forward to.

Eh, I'm less than lukewarm about it. I mean if he does great, awesome. But I don't think you lost much, nor do I think that we gained much. Here's hoping I'm wrong and you are right.

Also, sayonara Wakefield. Shame.

ESPN Insiders has a futures power ranking for the coming season. The top five:

1. Texas

2. New York Yankees

3. Tampa Bay

4. St. Louis

5. Boston

A surprising #6...anyone want to guess?

I think the future power ranking was actually for the next five seasons.

A completely unsurprising #30. Ah, Orioles, why do I love you so?

The Astros gutted their inept management and have some good people in there. Orioles haven't. Their problem is that their owner won't let management have autonomy from him and his chronies, which is why they had such a hard time finding a new GM this offseason.

I grew up an Expos fan. Was very sad when he was traded. Him, Dawson, Raines, Wallach, Rogers, Reardon. A lot of talent there.

RIP.

Being from Montreal, that's a big part of my childhood right there. Summers spent out under the umbrella listening to the game in the afternoons or on the veranda in the evenings with my grandparents.

Gary Carter was the same age my father was when he died, 11 years ago. Just way too young.

How the fuck can you have a 5 year projection on power rankings?

Age of current roster, farm system prospects, future draft picks, success of front office in trades/free agents....

My god I hope the Red Sox PR team can come up with something because I am so tired of hearing about how they need to fess to screwing up last year and then having the players come out and make lame comments about it. Get a party line, memorize it, say it and then move on to 2012.

Archived