MLB: Offseason Sweepstakes Edition

Myshkin

Oh it's an awesome deal for the Cubs if Rizzo puts it all together. Even if Cashner goes on to be a middle of the rotation guy for the Padres, if Rizzo's playing first base for 10 years, it was beyond worth it...

And I don't think it's a matter of not wanting Prince, but it goes back to what I said earlier about spending money wisely, not just throwing it at a problem...the number of years along with the cash he wants, it'd be detrimental in the long run when you're trying to become a perennial playoff team. It'd've been nice, but I'm okay with passing on him...as long as he's far from the NL Central for a couple years until his knees start giving him trouble and he slows down...

I think my Padres got robbed blind.

Josh Brynes already said hes coming out of the pen. Even though I believe Cashner could become a great power closer this deal does not make sense for SDP.

The other player acquired Zach cates, appears to be a prospect as well, icing.

So Pineda and Kuroda added and Montero gone. I am not sure how I feel about this. Pineda was a beast for half a season, but I have been waiting years for Montero to crack the lineup.

I think I will like this a lot though when I get over my disappointment of losing Montero. Maybe they did this to get Prince (although Cashman has said he is not going to add crazy salary).

So Pineda and Kuroda added and Montero gone. I am not sure how I feel about this. Pineda was a beast for half a season, but I have been waiting years for Montero to crack the lineup.

I think I will like this a lot though when I get over my disappointment of losing Montero. Maybe they did this to get Prince (although Cashman has said he is not going to add crazy salary).

I don't think they're going for Fielder.

I'm like you. Pineda is a beast but I was really really looking forward to seeing what Montero's bat could do. In the end, it's probably a great deal for us as our rotation wasn't very strong but with CC, Pineda, Kuroda then Nova/Hughes/Burnett/Garcia...we should be pretty solid. Still sad about Montero though...

I am kicking back watching a Maverick game tonight, and they cut away from the action to do a celebrity interview with Texas Ranger's pitcher Derek Holland. In addition to the stache, he has grown out what looks to be an incredible Jew fro that has my Hebrewness in raging fits of jealousy. He also mentioned the words "getting ready for the mullet."

I just wanted to say that he is going to give Brian Wilson a run for his money on the coolest guy in baseball next year.

They need a DH and it's only money :)

I know but with so many old people on their roster, you'd think they'd want to give them a rest during the season.

I did read that they have some plan to try to drop below luxury tax payroll by 2014 so I can't see them getting Fielder if that's the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard that the Prince is signing with Detroit, which could be problematic for my Sox. I haven't read any confirmation though, so I guess I'll wait and see. But it's a move that makes sense for him if it is true.

9 years, $214 million. Holy shit.

Altough I'm kind of dissapointed the Mariners didn't get Fielder, I'm just glad he didn't go to Texas. Its bad enough that the Angels have Pujols, but considering he's getting on in age, and its likely he will start breaking down a few seasons down the road, I was less upset than I would have been had the Rangers aquired Fielder.

That said, I think Montero will be great, people say that Safeco is where hitters go to die, but thats mostly for righties, We've seen in the small sample size that Montero can hit homers to left very well, desipite the fact he is a right handed batter. Yeah, I was sad to lose Pinada, but we got Noesi, who apparently is a fairly good pitcher, not to mention the massive amount of great pitching depth we have.

Prediction: 27 of Fielder's 52 home runs this year are hit at The Cell.

No way, I'm taking the under on this.

26 - MAX!

: /

Sucks when all your baseball friends send you condolence messages because your team is out of the hunt for forseeable future.

But hey, we've got Robin Ventura, that's enough - right? right?

Ahhh but really, this doesn't guarantee Detroit anything of course - baseball is a prickly mistress. However, I do see it making it really effing tough on my team because of the aforementioned crushing of our pitchers/owning of our field. Lame.

Detroit has 3 DHs and tons of fat guys now. This signing is retarded and the best thing for division rivals. No way they can afford Verlander when his deal is up in a year or two right?

Moving boozehound back to 3rd? No way this works as planned.

Agree.

This could hamstring the hands of Detroit financially. Unless, of course, they have some amazing Detroit Tigers Network in the offing to funnel a billion dollars into the franchise.

Archived