Gendry?

The_Maltese_Wolf

I would hope Gendry's time in the narrative isn't over. The cliche in me still wants him to hook up with Edric and Mya and embark on some new task central to the plot. Considering the "R + L = J" theory, something tells me that Gendry is going to take Jon's place as the redeemed bastard of this story...with Edric and Mya in tow. However, I think for any of this to happen, something (bad) would need to go down with Stannis and his fam. Or not. But most likely so.

I'm trying to think of situations which would call for a Baratheon Reunion.

I would hope Gendry's time in the narrative isn't over. The cliche in me still wants him to hook up with Edric and Mya and embark on some new task central to the plot. Considering the "R + L = J" theory, something tells me that Gendry is going to take Jon's place as the redeemed bastard of this story...with Edric and Mya in tow. However, I think for any of this to happen, something (bad) would need to go down with Stannis and his fam. Or not. But most likely so.

I'm trying to think of situations which would call for a Baratheon Reunion.

I hope Gendry has another part in the story and maybe he will because he's now interacted with at least three Starks (or former Stark in the case of UndeadCatelyn), but I sincerely doubt the known bastard children of Robert Baratheon are going to get together.

They all served a purpose in the story: Gendry and the prostitute's baby girl to prove the falsity of Joeff, Myrcella and Tommen's parentage and the strength of Baratheon "seed"; Mya is the evidence of Robert's character early in the story as a man who slept around and made promises he didn't keep (and the source of gossip that Lyanna hears) and the sorry situation for bastard-born children of nobles who are not acknowledged by their fathers; Edric to give the readers a perspective on R'hollor's blood magic and the moral relativism of Stannis and Melisandre and the religion they practice, as well as a glimpse at the character of Davos who saved Edric.

Gendry is still playing a part as one of the BWB and maybe Jaime's throw-away thought that Sansa should forget she was ever a Stark, marry a blacksmith and have a bunch of kids will happen. It would be ironic that Sansa actually did marry a son of Robert Baratheon, just not the one she thought.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gendry end up with Sansa...mostly because I just can't get behind the movement that wants Sansa to make pups with the Hound. I still think Mya and Edric have a place in the narrative, though. With Mya, it's because Sansa is now in her midst...I'm sure she'll play a larger role in the next novel. With Edric, he just made such a big impression on me in his short time.

I just love Gendry and hope he has a big role to play in the next two books. But I can't see him pairing up with anyone else but Arya.

He and Arya are like a replay of Robert and Lyanna, only this time maybe they will get it right.

Gendry is physically like his father but in character he is the complete opposite. He isn't a womanizing, carousing, good ole'boy like his dad. He takes his time before deciding how to act. He doesn't sleep with every woman who throws herself at him. He doesn't need to be king of the castle and follows Arya when she tells him they have to get out of Harrenhall. He is protective of Arya but not smothering.

I loved the fact that he decided to join Dondarrion's group because they tried their captives and work within a frame of the king's justice. He is a descendant of that King. That means he has a moral code so sadly missing in most of the rest of Westeros.

His being a smith so obviously calls for him to play a part in forging Lightbringer. But it is also a wonderful play on Robert's war hammer. Robert's hammer was only for killing, Gendry's hammer is for making things as well. And for fixing things. He fixes dented armor, nicked swords and the like. Is this a foreshadowing that he will help fix Westeros?

He obviously feels something strong for Arya and I can see it blossoming if they meet again when she is older. He could be the one to allow her to recall her more vulnerable emotions and help her off the path of vengeance. All Arya has is vengeance because she has no friends, no family, no pack. At some point, she will return to Westeros. Gendry is now a knight and by then will be leading a group of nights and other supporters, you can bet on it. If offers his help and support to her, she might be able to let her guard down and become more human and less of a ninja revenge goddess.

Arya is compared to Lyanna throughout the books. Lyanna's rash action in running away with Rhaegar precipitated all the rebellion. Somehow, a well considered action by Arya and Gendry together will provide the flip side of that that story, I hope.

He obviously feels something strong for Arya
Not strong enough for him not to decide to leave her and stay with Beric, mind. I don't think the strength of that supposed bond is that obvious.

(and, again, the idea of a teenager meeting a 10 year old girl for some months, falling in love with her and devoting one's life to her: ewwwwwww)

Not strong enough for him not to decide to leave her and stay with Beric, mind. I don't think the strength of that supposed bond is that obvious.

(and, again, the idea of a teenager meeting a 10 year old girl for some months, falling in love with her and devoting one's life to her: ewwwwwww)

I think we are shown that once Gendry finds out who Arya really is, he feels that he is too lowly born for her to ever consider him as more than a chance companion. And he pointedly does NOT devote his life to her. He chooses to stay with Beric.

That's what I like about Gendry. He considers his options and does not go for glory. Earlier, he was willing to stay and be a smith for whoever would employ him, not interested in the game of thrones. He does not tell Beric he will stay with him on condition of being knighted. I don't think he expected knighthood when he offered to stay. He just wants to be part of a group that is helping people and meting out justice.

And Gendry does not leave Arya. Arya leaves Gendry without a backward glance while he is trying to explain his decision to her.

And he pointedly does NOT devote his life to her. He chooses to stay with Beric.
Yes, that was my point. Glad you agree that the strength of that bond is not obvious.

Gendry knew Arya was going to be ransomed at Riverrun.

Yes, that was my point. Glad you agree that the strength of that bond is not obvious.

Gendry knew Arya was going to be ransomed at Riverrun.

Sorry, but to me, the fact that Gendry did not try to accompany Arya to Riverrun doesn't make his attraction to her not obvious.

He is a bastard and baseborn (he thinks), she is a highborn lady and about to be ransomed and rejoin the upper class. Once she gets to Riverrun his inability to have any relationship ( lame word, but there it is) with her will be even more obvious than when they were travelling together as fugitives. Arya might think that Gendry could make swords for Robb, but Gendry knows that would only cement his lowly status. Where before he was happy to stay in the forge and not worry about who was in charge, he now wants to join a band of do-gooders rather than join the forge at Riverrun.

This is, of course, how I read it. And that's the pleasure of the books and this board- we can all have different opinions and the pleasure of discussing them.

The fact that Gendry knows that Arya is alive (or at least was alive after everyone thought her dead) may be the important point for the future involvement of his character.

There are several other characters arouond Westeros - Lady Stoneheart, Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, Jon for starters - whose choices may be influenced by knowing that Arya did not die in King's Landing around the ime of her father's death.

Alternatively, Gendry's path may cross that of Faceless Arya herlsef in the future and he recognizes her.

The fact that Gendry knows that Arya is alive (or at least was alive after everyone thought her dead) may be the important point for the future involvement of his character.

There are several other characters arouond Westeros - Lady Stoneheart, Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, Jon for starters - whose choices may be influenced by knowing that Arya did not die in King's Landing around the ime of her father's death.

Alternatively, Gendry's path may cross that of Faceless Arya herlsef in the future and he recognizes her.

That would be great - that she wears her own face and not creepy skins of other people. She is going as an apprentice to somebody called Izembaro, but was anything said about where this gentleman lives? He could be somebody in Westeros - or somebody in Braavos who will go to Westeros.

I think that people most probably able to recognize Arya even glamoured are her siblings, thanks to that weird direwolf connection. And any able skinchanger should be able to tell that she is one too no matter the face. I really hope that there is at least one skinchanger among wildlings that arrived to Braavos.

Small correction whole BWB knows Arya was alive shortly before RW, Stoneheart knows she was alive, Brienne knows she was alive even after RW. And Bran most probably by now know she is alive and I have small hopes for Jon out of body experience, he may find out.

They all think she most probably died at Saltpans, though. Doesn't make much of a difference from those who think she most probably died in Flea Bottom.

Also, unless Gendry has supernatural powers, he won't recognize Arya wearing another face. What a poor cliché that would be: Because that guy met her for a few months years ago, he's now able to see through a disguise perfected by the most perfect assassin in the world for millenias, said disguise being said to be able to fool the keenest eye and the strongest will. Heck, if GRRM is consistent Gendry would not even recognize Arya after the physical changes she underwent during the years they were apart. How would he recognize her anyway? The power of love, or something even more cheesy?

They actually know, not guess, that Ramsay's bride is not Arya. I don't know if that's significant in any way.
That's why there are two sort of people in Westeros: hose who think she died (in KL or Saltpans, whatever), and those who think she married Ramsay Bolton. The former tend to be the heroes and prominent actors of the story, the latter are the followers and other supporting lords, who don't matter that much for the story direction (but they're still important for story inertia, if you see what I mean)

I think that if it becomes significant, it will be more about the Northern lords rebellion, and little about Arya or the BwB and the Riverlands.

Arya chews on her lip ... bingo
A lot of people do.

Also, generally, when you don't want people to recognize you you don't stay near them long enough to chew your lip. If you want people to recognize you, you tell them.

For reference, you know who else didn't recognize Arya (probably failed to notice the lip-chewing, heh?): Harwin. The guy who saw her grow for nine years, gave her a nickname, and had only not seen her for 6 months or so.

Archived