What would you do if you got dropped into the 7 kingdoms?

Defengar

I think modern person will have a lot to offer in the field of entertainment - lot's of strange stories, plots ,songs, games. We also have basic knowledge of mathematics, which should help. As well as technical mind - a way of thinking that allows us to think up of patents and gizmos, which make life easier - just as simple things as using a lever or a pulley. And most important - a modern man is a quick study, he has an open mind and is familiar with logic and scientific way of thought.

This all, will be invaluable, as long as somebody will have enough time to survive the first phase of adaptation and learning of local customs.

So my first thing to do would be to hide all the modern stuff, go to nearest village, ask for mercy and help, making some story about being a shipwrecked or from some foreign land - claiming I don't remember about my past.

If lucky, especially considering my highborn appearance, I will be given some help and shelter in exchange for some work. In time, after I will learn local customs I could try my luck in some big town.

You are ON! lol, but however shall I pay you, good sir? With the dead phone battery or half-melted chocolates?

LOL, it'd be hilarious if all these odd "lost" people suddenly started popping up near King's Landing. We can all be THE NEXT GREAT SIGN like teh comet... Mel would say its a sign of needing more fires, Ironborn will insist its new slaves to row their boats...

'sellsword', heh - you're planning on selling Chise as a slave in Volantis aren't you? Well I suppose slave trading is a better way than most of surviving in Westeros, so long as you can avoid the likes of The Ned.

If m'lday continued to pay me sufficient melted chocolates then no, i would not sell her.

If m'lday continued to pay me sufficient melted chocolates then no, i would not sell her.

Awesome!! This Seven Kingdoms adventure is sounding better and better

and if my payments are in chocolates, that means I can't eat them and won't get fat. Everybody wins

You sound like that guy who wrote a response to "The Lorax" for the California logging industry that tried to make the tree`s sound like the bad guys...

Look at the 7 kingdoms for a minute. The most advanced things they have are architecture (giant ass castles that could only be rivaled in size IRL by a couple in Japan), and metallurgy (steel). Everything else about their culture seems to be at the point europe was when it was exiting the dark ages and emerging into the Medieval era. Which means no merchant class, religion is still somewhat slow in its rise to power etc...

The reason for this is because of WINTER. Winter in westeros acts like a big reset button and halts, or even reverses much of the progress (If any is made during the summer). The reason metallurgy and architecture has advanced ahead of everything else is because you have to have giant ass buildings to survive in a winter where the snow can get over 50 feet deep (eventually people also realized having walls high enough to keep 50 feet of snow at bay was also a good way of keeping asshats like the iron islanders out to). Thus it was a matter of survival that architecture got so advanced.

Then with metallurgy you have the fact blacksmiths are shut up in their shops for up to over a decade during some winters, and since there is nothing else to do, they likely started experimenting with different ores, blacksmithing techniques, and with tempering methods etc... until someone (or likely multiple people) created steel.

Everything else is slow to advance because it either isnt a matter of survival during winter, or because it would be difficult/not likely to be innovated during winter where there nothing to do but sit around.

You mean the trees weren't villains in "The Lorax"? :cool4:

I just realised something.

It's mentioned that even Aegon The Conqueror had portrait of him.

but the first English king didn't have his portrait painted until the Wilton Diptych in 1395, over 300 years after 1066 (the date of the Norman conquest)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilton_Diptych

but since Aegon and Maegor where the subjects of portraits, then it seems that atleast portrait painting has advanced in Westeros, which fits into your point that arts that can be done when locked up in a Castle (like blacksmithing) for a 10 year winter, have advanced much faster than in our Middle Ages.

and portrait painting is one of those arts that can be done inside a castle, with nothing else to do.

Well if it happened to be today then I would be quite lucky- I'm taking off a week early to go to a medieval reenactment festival. First thing I'd do is ditch my modern clothing and change into my gear- I have a full set of armour; helm, mail hauberk, shield, sword- I'd be quite prepared. I would join the nearest tourney, and thanks to my seven years of sword training, I'd probably earn a handsome sum of good, Westeros cash. I'd probably wander around the Stormlands for a few months, make myself a person of at least some little importance, then catch the next boat to Essos. I would find my way to Daenerys, and probably attempt to help resolve the situation in Slaver's Bay. The Wall is too... problematic for the moment and Southern Westeros is too dull for me. Might try to become a 'Head of the Dragon' :leer: Why not? I've got just as much a chance as most of the other guys there. If all else fails, I could become a Maester. Hence the username

I'll admit, this has crossed my mind far too many times to ignore this thread.... so here it goes:

I'm a huge dork and I'll admit I've studied and researched and discussed in depth several apocalypse scenarios, from zombies, super volcanoes, nukes, economy, planet of the apes... etc. But my favorite is the "back in time" scenario.

I'm studying to be a photovoltaic (solar) engineer, so I'm fairly confident in my ability to be able to succeed....

Best case scenario: I'm dropped off sometime around aGoT, I quietly woo people with my knowledge and technology/engineering, build weaponry like cannons, guns, etc.... and prepare to rally the troops for the side of my choosing!

I considered for a moment and realized that it is actually impossible for me to capitalize all my knowledge over the current affair and hidden secrets in the 7 Kingdoms without getting my throat slit. By the events in A Dance With Dragons, all the kind and generous people are dead and I will invite nothing but a stab in my back by revealing my god like knowledge of the intricate works, secrets, and betrayals in the 7 kingdoms.

What knowledge I CAN use is that:

1. I can "invent" chocolate. I will be a fucking billionaire in no time if I can find a coca plant

2. I can "invent" cigar. I will be a fucking billionaire in no time if I can find a tobacco plant

3. I can "invent" pencils. Jesus, would that be a best seller

4. I can "invent" gunpowder. If sun shines on me, I will be a fucking king in no time if I can find sulfur, charcoal and potassium nitrate before I am stabbed

5. I can "invent" condom. That's my plan "A".

I considered for a moment and realized that it is actually impossible for me to capitalize all my knowledge over the current affair and hidden secrets in the 7 Kingdoms without getting my throat slit. By the events in A Dance With Dragons, all the kind and generous people are dead and I will invite nothing but a stab in my back by revealing my god like knowledge of the intricate works, secrets, and betrayals in the 7 kingdoms.

What knowledge I CAN use is that:

1. I can "invent" chocolate. I will be a fucking billionaire in no time if I can find a coca plant

2. I can "invent" cigar. I will be a fucking billionaire in no time if I can find a tobacco plant

3. I can "invent" pencils. Jesus, would that be a best seller

4. I can "invent" gunpowder. If sun shines on me, I will be a fucking king in no time if I can find sulfur, charcoal and potassium nitrate before I am stabbed

5. I can "invent" condom. That's my plan "A".

Then you will need to invent navigational equipment, and ways of storing water and food so that a boat can reach "Nuosos" across the Sunset Sea

I would teach the folks how to smoke weeds,nobody fucking smokes anything in that continent

Well they have opium (milk of the poppy) I am sure the Ghiscari, Qartheen, and Jhogos Nhai do pot.

Clearly we all need to remember that grade-school science class and invent.... A MAGNETIC COMPASS! Seriously, fortune in navigation right there

does Westeros even have magnets and properly aligned magnetic poles?

First thing I would do is swear...in multiple languages. Then turn off my smart phone until I needed it (ie: take notes or what not of my surroundings, people's names *I'd have a difficult time remembering EVERYONES name)

Secondly I would most likely head to the nearest city which would be KL. I have the outward physical characteristics of a Lannister (green eyes, golden blonde hair) but I do have scars on my face due to a birth defect.

I think the fact that I'm highly literate and have a good bit of knowledge about medieval/dark age England and the novels would help. At least later on, initially it would mean squat.

I have decent wilderness survival skills and basic first aid, I did fencing for little while as a child and am not afriad to get dirty, I also have a stomach of steel and am not very squeamish. Being a septa or a lady's maid would be my best bet, I could deal with being a prossy if it came to that but I would at least hope it was a expensive brothel.

but back to the "present" After I turned my phone off and headed to KL I would most likely use the chocolate as a bribe or food (last resort) My money would be useless as it's paper not coin (unless I have some change, which I might possibly be able to sell for coppers.)

I would then buy/steal a cheap gown and sell my cloths *minus bra and undies (possibly even stockings) to a rag women and the leather of my wallet. I would keep my boots, rubber bands and bag (I never go anywhere without my canvas bag so I'm assuming unless I was in my bed when I was rudely dragged from my comfortable existence, I would have it)

After all that I would attempt to procure a job as a tavern wench or what not and attempt to survive....anywhozal

I would have a vague panic attack. After that I suppose I'll find a job. I'll need the money to buy a house and whatnot, attract a female and all that. Plus, the financial peace of mind will mean I can relax now and then when I'm not working, I could learn to play the harp...that seems to be the only instrument around in Westeros....

Besides like the Great Terry Pratchett says-"Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages".

Then you will need to invent navigational equipment, and ways of storing water and food so that a boat can reach "Nuosos" across the Sunset Sea

Why would I need to invent navigational equipment? Because I can't. Can't a horse with a cart do the job? I'll sell my smartphone's playlist to some rich bard to get some starting capital as I can buy rubber and invent condoms. O.o

I want to caution all you people who want to be minstrels or bards -- that seems like the most hazardous profession in Westeros. Consider the minstrels we've met: Marillion -- tortured and left in a sky cell until he walked into the sky; the Blue Bard -- tortured until insane; Shae's guy (can't remember his name) -- served up in a bowl of brown; another one of Margaery's minstrels -- dead. Holy cow!

I think the way to succeed in any market is to identify a missing product, then supply it. And IMO, Westeros needs two things very badly: pizza and distilled spirits. I mean there's Oldtown, a college town without a single pizza parlor! I can make the crust, and wood-burning ovens are perfect for baking pizza. The biggest problem I see is finding a tomato substitute for sauce or pizza Margherita, but other toppings are available. I love a pesto pizza myself. Mozzarella cheeze isn't that hard to make, either. Anyhoo, I think students from the Citadel would be standing in line to get in, especially if the waitresses offer a little something else on the side, as they seem to do at most Westerosi taverns.

And after I've made some money from my pizza empire, I'd start working on a still, and distilling brandy from wine. Maybe I can get Gendry to lay off the weapons of individual destruction for a while and make me a copper pot still. And if that works, I'd try to make a neutral white spirit, although that's a lot more complicated, but c'mon – who wouldn't want to introduce the North to vodka? (Bonuses: (1) use up surplus neeps, (2) with additional distillation, get a disinfectant much better than boiled wine.)

Why would I need to invent navigational equipment? Because I can't. Can't a horse with a cart do the job? I'll sell my smartphone's playlist to some rich bard to get some starting capital as I can buy rubber and invent condoms. O.o

I dont think condoms would be a big hit

1.the population is very small so no need of controlling it

2.giving birth to a unwanted child is not a problem,there are already so many bastards

3.they dont care much about some viruses

4.dont try to convince them that they will get more pleasure using condoms

though in 7 kingdoms there are some characters who will create great wits about condoms that I would love to hear

Archived