The Martells

Knepah

Okay here goes...

How about for Doran...Placido Domingo?

YES THE OPERA SINGER BUT HEAR ME OUT

He has the right look (in my opinion).

It would be possible for him to act much frailer.

He has done acting in the past so we know it's at least a minor interest to him.

How about it?

(Also Antonio Banderas WOULD of course be the perfect Oberyn. I can hear his voice now: "You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children! I will hear you say her name" It would be awesome).

Interestingly enough, Salma Hayek -- my image of Arianne Martell (look at her in <em>Ask the Dust</em> and shave some years [no shaving away from that gorgeous figure, OTOH; Hayek actually put on a bit of weight for the role, and all to the good]) -- was brought up by George in discussing a completely different character (I won't say which, but I'd bet no one would guess it).

When i look at Salma Hayek, I think of Ashara Dayne..i don't know why. If Ashara would have been alive, she'd look like her (accept for the purple eyes)

As for the Martells..

to me they look mediterranean or north african.. and not Indian as many people here seem to think...

Martin confirmed in an interview with a Spanish magazine that Dorne was a cross between Spain and Wales, which makes sense since there are fair Dornishmen as in Spain, and Doran, Elia and Oberyns Uncle was Prince Llywelyn, a historical name for the last Prince of an independent Wales from the twelth century.

His full name was: Prince Llywelyn ap Gruffydd

The Martells probably intermarried alot with alot of different ethnicities since they didn't marry themselves like the Targaryens.

Initially, Dorans Mother was going to marry Elia and Oberyn to Jaimie and Cersei, so their own looks will probably reflect that.

Arianne also has a Norvossi Mother.

Wow I didn't know that Wales was an influence.

I'm Welsh so that's pretty awesome.

Spain is definitely an influence.

I don't see Salma as Arianne at all :/

I'm ashamed I didn't see it at first with Elias Uncle named "Prince Llywelyn." :dunce:

I had actually thought it was a hybrid of Spanish/French with Martell being a French name.

And yes, Welsh culture, or Cymry is very interesting and unique amongst the Celtic cultures, and that unique aspect is also like Dorne. :)

I'm ashamed I didn't see it at first with Elias Uncle named "Prince Llywelyn." :dunce:

I had actually thought it was a hybrid of Spanish/French with Martell being a French name.

And yes, Welsh culture, or Cymry is very interesting and unique amongst the Celtic cultures, and that unique aspect is also like Dorne. :)

Prince Lyewelyn? I thought it was Prince Lewyn.

Prince Lyewelyn? I thought it was Prince Lewyn.

It is Prince Lewyn, a very Welsh sounding name and similar to Llewellyn. There are lots of Welsh sounding names in the series so I didn't pick up on Wales as a possible Dornish influence at first (God knows the climate is totally different).

Also note that here Lewyn is given a Welsh spelling, instead of Luwin (Maester Luwin) which sounds pretty much identical.

Back to casting.

For Arianne for some reason my head is saying Astrid Berges Frisbey (but more tanned as she lives in a hot climate!)? Although she'd also make a good Lyanna.

When i look at Salma Hayek, I think of Ashara Dayne..i don't know why. If Ashara would have been alive, she'd look like her (accept for the purple eyes)

I think Liv Tyler back in the day would have made a good Ashara.

For Arianne for some reason my head is saying Astrid Berges Frisbey (but more tanned as she lives in a hot climate!)? Although she'd also make a good Lyanna.

Astrid couldn't be further from how I imagine Arianne to be, she's just so white

• 3 weeks later...

Archived