Why do people like Stannis.. I don't get it?

RandomWanderer

hes a good honest man andhe doesn't really want ot be king. He knows hes the rightful heir to rob right now though so he has no choice but to pursue it.

Knowing his disadvantage hes thought of doing some questionable things a man like him is against.. luckily he has the honest council of Davos.

I like him because he's a believable Achilles---a person defined by almost inhuman attributes (his iron will and sense of justice), but one with an actual personality, history and set of relationships that define him.

That and the incredibly dry sense of humor. And I think any man who earns Davos Seaworth's respect is worthy. If we judge a man by his closest friend, then Stannis is perhaps one of the greatest men in Westeros.

I like Stannis and his cut-the-bullshit-or-get-out type attitude, but I stopped supporting his cause for the Throne after I learned Aegon was alive.

The funny thing about Stannis is that once he learns about Aegon (if Aegon really is Aegon), he probably will drop his quest for the throne and fight for Aegon.

It should be very hard support someone, who did'nt respect his own older brother;who spat in his face, mocked him and his own niece.

It should be very hard support someone, who is traitor to the "king" - his own "nephew", sitting on Iron Throne; who is dissloyal to his liege lord - I mean head of House Baratheon.

It should be very easy support someone, who was rightful heir to Iron Throne; who offered his younger brother Iron Throne after his death and place in Small Council;

It should be easier support someone, who was'nt never liar, it was known;

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Its hard to support someone who murdered his own brother with dark magic. Fratricide is a pretty serious thing to overlook.

I'm pretty sure Mel never told him what she was intending. And even then, Renly himself was more than ready to kill his brother Stannis in battle, while usurping his throne.

The funny thing about Stannis is that once he learns about Aegon (if Aegon really is Aegon), he probably will drop his quest for the throne and fight for Aegon.

Maybe, I don't know what Stannis' position on the Targaryens was though. I know that he captured Dragonstone, but I think he was only doing his duty to his brother.

Maybe, I don't know what Stannis' position on the Targaryens was though. I know that he captured Dragonstone, but I think he was only doing his duty to his brother.

Stannis said that it was a really tough choice for him to support his brother instead of his king.

Stannis went to the Wall when no one else would and as a poster said above, he has the loyalty and respect of Davos Seaworthy who is probably the most morally good man in the entire series.

These eventually are the two reasons that Stannis finally won me over.

His trip to the Wall was nothing short of heroic. Loved it. And anybody who Davos loves is okay in my book.

Though seriously, Stannis? Quit burning people. Not nice, bro.

Stannis said that it was a really tough choice for him to support his brother instead of his king.

Good, then perhaps he will deliver the North to Aegon so Sansa and the forces she can rally at the Vale when she marries Harold Hardying can go to destroying any other resistance, or the Tyrells, if they don't join Aegon upon the strife Varys caused by murdering Kevan. Dorne will undoubtedly support Aegon though, Dany is hardly needed. I can see it all so perfectly....so that means it won't happen. :(

I dunno if others set things straight (don't want to red 13 pages), but it's not just that Stannis is repulsed by Selyse (though this could definitely be the case). It's stated that he just isn't comfortable around women. He bones Melisandre to bring about the assassins. Stannis isn't one to go philandering for no reason, and it's not like a devout, attractive priestess is going to go about boning a craggy, balding guy because he has a claim to the throne or whatever. Also, Selyse is a bitch. She could want some love, but what she wants is to be quee, definitely because of the Highgarden snubbing.

I don't get the "he doesn't want to be king" thing. Aemon didn't want to be King and he didn't become King. Whereas Stannis says he doesn't want to be King yet seems to be trying his hardest to become King.

So true. It's not like someone put a gun to his head and forced him to make a claim. He should just be honest and own up to the fact that he wants to be a King.

I don't get the "he doesn't want to be king" thing. Aemon didn't want to be King and he didn't become King. Whereas Stannis says he doesn't want to be King yet seems to be trying his hardest to become King.

You're completely discounting Stannis' opinion of the alternatives, whereas Aemon thought Egg would make a good king.

Alternatives of Stannis are:

1/ Khaleesi. No one knows about her and she does'nt want sail to Westeros. Yet. Or... never?

2/ Tommen. Little boy. No chance for good Hand or faithful, un-corrupted Council. Or wise mother. Or being real son of Robert.

3/ Euron Greyjoy. Pirate.

Robb Stark did'nt want Iron Throne.

Renly would bankrupt again Seven Kingdoms for King's new clothes, Queen's new clothes, Knight of Flowers new armours, funny feasts and tourneys, tones of pretty baby clothes, small boots etc. etc. for little Prince with black hair and sweet chocolate eyes.

I think you have to take into account their relative personalities. Stannis is someone with a very black and white view on these sort of matters, it doesn't matter what he wants, what matters is his duty to the realm. Aemon had a more open view on these sort of things and turned down an offer to become king rather than fighting against anyone that might be considered an "abomination of incest" or usurper.

Archived