Least Fav POV?

TyrionsFlagon

I have to stifle a groan every time I come to a Damphair chapter. I'd just skip them altogether if I wasn't so anal, but it would drive me mad and I wouldn't be able to concentrate, knowing I'd skipped an entire chapter, so I just force myself to plow through his POVs. I do have a quirk, though, where I look ahead and count how many pages his chapters are, so that I know exactly how many pages I have to get through before I'm done ("That's two pages down and four to go...now three...").

Pate's chapter in AFFC was a long hard slog for me, too, even though I knew that Important And Significant Stuff always goes down in prologue POVs. But, meh, it still bored me to tears.

I quite liked the Damphair's chapters as I'm a fan of the Iron Born. I'm also intrigued to know more about the background of Euron/Victarion/Aeron which we'll hopefully learn about through the Damphair's chapters.

I also liked Areo Hotah's POV as it gave us a close insight into Dorne and particularly Doran Martell, who I find one of the most interesting leaders in the series.

There aren't many POVs that I didn't like, but I suppose Catelyn's chapters in the early books dragged a bit. Her constant pleading to the Seven got tiresome very quickly.

Gosh, Dany has been boring me to desperation since, as everyone else said, after the mindblowing ending of AGOT. I love the intrigue and whispers in King's Landing, and even the Dornish court, but Dany hardening her buttocks on the stone thrones of Meereen are just...BLEH. Plus I never liked her personality as much as, say, Tyrion, Arya, Bran, and such.

Yeah, Pate's prologue was kind of hard to sludge through. Come to think of it, only the POVs in Dance really bored me. It's somehow my least favorite book so far. :( Jon started getting all Order of the Phoenix-era-Harry on us (plus the tension of being a double agent among the wildlings was gone, Sam was gone, impending crisis is gone, Other interaction is gone, etc.)

Even Tyrion didn't seem to be going anywhere. He was just kind of wandering nowhere, really, and spouting out "where do whores go" at every other sentence to keep us awake. And Jaime doing post-war negotiations was interesting but not...really. I'd rather have Feast, where you had these super-involved Cersei/Sansa chapters interspersed with groan-inducing Damphair, Hotah, other annoyingly solemn celibate men chapters...

So I guess everyone loves Jaime chapters? :D

I don't know that I have a 'dislike' of any particular POV, though I did dread Brienne's chapters in my first read, second time through wasn't so bad for me, dunno why. Dany and Arya seem to have so much potential if they would just get on with it, Bran moving slow I could understand he's crippled, on foot, and going somewhere he doesn't know where it is. Areo's POV I love, simply because it shows us what Doran Martell is really like, though Arys' and Arienne's POV are only good for the intrigue to the overall Dorne situation.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Quentyn yet, his story was kinda dull, and his lack of character even moreso, plus we didn't even have a particularly witty companion to keep things rolling.

Damphair's POV was a trial for me, but I read it because I wanted to know what the hell was happening on the Iron Isles.

By far Damphair's. I read as much as I could stand and just skip him. I just thought that his was either irrelevant or just too boring to care about.

A close 2nd is Brienne. All she did was look for Sansa whom I knew she wasn't going to find. Her travels were bleak to say the least, up until she met Gendry and BwB.

A special place that deserves my anger is Cat. She was soooooooooo boring. Only good thing she ever did was when she talked with Robb and Jeyne, and sometimes she didn't even do that right.

Areo Hotah, although I like Dorne. Everything that happened there could be told by Arianne, thus giving her more place for development too, instead of having an unimportant bodyguard POV.

And Vicarion, because he is really boring.

For Boringness - Doran and Iron Bourne ( exception for Asha and Theon)

For being outright Scum - Frey's ( Most), All Lannisters ( exceptions for Mycella and Tommen, Tyrion sits on a razor edge) and Boltens

Most of them aren't POVs though. Doran isn't (his daughter and guard are), none of the Freys are, Myrcella and Tommen aren't and neither of the Boltons are.

Most of them aren't POVs though. Doran isn't (his daughter and guard are), none of the Freys are, Myrcella and Tommen aren't and neither of the Boltons are.

Yup your right I missed POV.

So for Scum Cersei, Jamie ( I don't believe his whole arc) and Tyrion still on the edge ( but I love is wise cracks)

Boring- victorian, Arya ( once she hit Bravous) and Danny.

This should work.

Sam. I don't hate most of his chapters, but when I see his name on the next page, I inwardly groan the most. Also, it's with his chapters that I usually take a long break when I'm doing a reread.

I actually didn't mind Dany in Mereen, but I would put her 2nd just because her story is the most separate from everything else that is going on. Also, her POV doesn't feature as many interesting characters or villains for the most part--Barristan and Jorah are exceptions, and for the most part I hate the one dimensional Meereneese and Astapori slavers.

'

Here's my question, what was the point of Arys Oakheart's POV? Wouldn't you think GRRM would only choose a POV that had something to offer the overall story development? Someone who had access to a piece of knowledge that is important to the main storylines. He had 2 or 3 chapters and died... what was the point? Couldn't those all have been Arienne chapters or Areo chapters?

While I love Brienne's character, I hated her POVs. They were as drab as the lands she was riding through. That said, she did battle the Brave Companions, survived being hanged by Lady Stoneheart and we get the awesome Septon Meribald speeches about war and the Hound. So its hard to say they're all bad.

Damphair's first chapter was awful and set a poor tone for AFFC. But the rest of it is pretty solid. The Kingsmoot is badass and I enjoy the innuendo that Euron abused Aeron as a child. It gave some real depth to that story line.

Finally, Sam Tarly was tough to get through as well. I love Sam, but he somehow managed to make Braavos boring. And there aren't any real highlights to save his chapters. He flees from the Others, Mormont dies, Aemon dies, Gilly exists, he runs into both Bran and Arya and doesn't know who they are nor does he find out. You know what, I change my mind. SAM, you are the worst POV.

Okay and honorable mention to Dany in ADWD. Not the worst POV ever, not even close... but in terms of biggest let down based on expectations... huge let down.

Archived