Dragonsteel is not Valaryan Steel.

Sam kills an Other with a dragonglass dagger, with witnesses, hence earning the name 'Sam the Slayer'. The only other full on appearance they make is in the GoT prologue, if I recall correctly.

If dragonglass and obsidian are synonymous, I don't see why dragonsteel and Valyrian steel wouldn't be. The making of Valyrian steel is a lost art, after all. I expect Jon will find out when he sees how Longclaw fares against them.

edit: there are notes of how cold it gets when an Other appears. I think that's the easiest way to tell if it's an Other or a wight.

Really? I was under the impression those were just wights also.

The description is night-and-day different. Wights are just moving human corpses with blue eyes (or they can be animal corpses, if we're also calling those wights). Others are described as frosty with magical frosty armor and crystalline swords and voices that sound like cracking ice. We also saw an Other from Sam's POV in one book (was it Storm of Swords?) when he earned the nickname Sam the Slayer.

Maybe Dragonsteel is steel that's been magic'd up from Dragon's fire? That would kind of make sense that The breath of the creatures of fire (Dragons) can kill creatures of Ice (Others). And as we know there was dragons in Valyria so they could easy get a dragon to magic up their swords.

I remember getting the impression that blood was used when forging valyrian steel- I don't know if it was tyrion, or someone else, who says that all valyrian magic is rooted in fire AND blood, presumably that includes the swords too. Maybe valyrian steel is a special kind of valyrian steel forged using dragon blood?

It would seem to me, that anything will melt and/or burn given the right temperature. Any regard the temperatures needed to melt dragon bone would be so intense a human couldn't get close enough to fetch the slag from the forge or whatever. I'm sure anything hot enough to melt dragonbone would also cook a Targ. Magic of course unconsidered.

The question I ask, is it call Dragonsteel because of it's origin or becuase of it's properties. Dragonglass being obsidian named so because it's origins are of extreme heat? One could relate volcanic heat to dragons if dragons were down the street and volcanos were not... In the minds of imature society. There are other materials that are formed from volcanos... I'm sure something could be used for weapondry. We aren't given the qualities of Dragonsteel, maybe it was pulled from a volcano and had trace obsidian and by extension used to make Valyrian steel. OR, if all you have is a dragon to get your heat for lack of volcanos...

Talking in circles... I know. :dunce: Can't wait to find out.

I didn't have time to read all three pages so this theory might have been posted before by someone else, but I always felt like Dragonsteel might be a form of steel forged with dragon fire rather than a typical pit of hot coals. Dragonfire is some nasty stuff and it might impart certain properties into metal forged with it.

Of course it could just as easily be called that because the smith that developed the forging process was a Targarian, and he called his new creation dragonsteel.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure what dragonsteel is but I do agree that it's different from Valyrian steel. Sam and Jon think they're the same but they're mostly just guessing.

I think it is different bc it seems to be electric blue and havee different powers.

Marie

I was always under the impression that the dragons were discovered by the Valyrians in their mines, therefore that puts dragons existence back 5000 years? which puts a hamper on Valyrian swords or swords forged by dragon fire being used during the long night (8000?)......I would like more discussion on this point, I hope martin hasn't said that valyrians swords or dragonsteel swords have been used before the discovery of dragons. here is my source on the discovery of dragons....http://awoiaf.wester...lyrian_Freehold

I was always under the impression that the dragons were discovered by the Valyrians in their mines, therefore that puts dragons existence back 5000 years? which puts a hamper on Valyrian swords or swords forged by dragon fire being used during the long night (8000?)......I would like more discussion on this point, I hope martin hasn't said that valyrians swords or dragonsteel swords have been used before the discovery of dragons. here is my source on the discovery of dragons....http://awoiaf.wester...lyrian_Freehold

I don't think the very first dragons in the world were discovered in the Valyrian mines, I think those were just the first dragons that Valyrians discovered on their land (I'm basing this on this SSM where George says there were dragons all over once).

Personally, I feel that if Others existed, then Dragons existed because they're both magical creatures.

While the Valyrians might have ultimately mastered the larger-scale taming/breeding of dragons, they might not have been the first dragon lords. There might have been a scattered pocket of people who knew how to tame/use dragons that later united to form the Valyrian Freehold.

Maybe Valyrian Steel is iron, and obsidian tempered by a dragon's fire? 8000 years ago they may have just calledf it Dragonsteel.

Over time things get lost in translation.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually think that Dragonsteel is a weapon forged from the bones of a dragon. Because I remember in Tyrion's second POV in Game of Thrones, he is reading a book about dragons, saying that their bones have very high iron content and weapons made from them were extremely durable and flexable. So what if the magic in dragons could also be infused in the bones. That is what can kill the Others, a sword forged from Dragon bones.

Having taken a blacksmithing course, the amount of knowledge about how metal works is staggering, i agree, it could be possible (as this is fantasy) to forge melee weapons from the same material as bows, the technique would be different for the final product (hence dragon bone bow, and dragon steel sword) possibly magic is involved as it is for Valyrian steel. Daenerys does mention that dragons are flesh born of fire (i think 5th book) so the possibility that dragon steel is made from the bones of dragons, or some other part of them.

Do we know how long the Valyrian Freehold reigned anyway? We know when it ended, but is it possible it existed during that time period? We know from Tyrion that they never went to Westeros beyond Dragonstone, so their influence in the form of only the odd scattered sword is still possible.

Consider the scenario I laid out in my post, the possibility that the Valyrians were not the first to create spellforged steel. We have stories from Asshai regarding Azor Ahai (with his sword, Lightbringer) and they have a lot in common with the Last Hero, who is said to have used dragonsteel to fight the Others.

There are stories of Asshai being the origin of dragons, and the home of powerful sorcerers. It is entirely possible that the people of Asshai could have created dragonsteel before Valyrian civilization became a force in Essos.

I'm not saying you're wrong, cause it maybe entirely possible, but if dragonsteel weapons where used in the battle of dawn (and that was in Westeros) then where are all those swords now? Did they simply dissappear? Is there any mention of Valyrian steel swords before the rise of Valyria in Westeros?

• 5 months later...

Archived