Big Bang Theory 4.0

Sis Who Swears

Spoiler alert, damnit! :bang: That would've been genuinely funny.

Apologies. As it's been platered on Facebook and a couple other sources so far, it didn't feel like they were trying to make it a "surprise".

I dunno her lesbian lovefest for Penny is getting a little overdone for me.

Agreed. I think to work successfully as a long-running gag, it needs to be a bit subtler. The way it is, I feel like they have to do something with it.

Agreed. I think to work successfully as a long-running gag, it needs to be a bit subtler. The way it is, I feel like they have to do something with it.

I feel the same way, I keep expecting her to dump Sheldon because she has feelings for Penny or some shit like that. It was funny at first but now... not so much.

I only flipped thru it during the commercials of 30 Rock (eh) but from what i gatherd is that Howard has to sign a pre-nup. WTF! This just furthers my "Big Bank Theory" which is that the finances of this show is out of wack. If you need your husband to sign a prenup that means you got money, and if you have money you would'nt be working at a fucking cheesecake factory! Also Leonard lives there because Sheldon cant pay rent by himself (even thou he is a professer), but Penny lives in the same building! The only way that both of these things could be true is if the Cheesecake Factory pays 6 figures! [snip]

While Howard, an engineer, is probably making the most out of the four guys (despite all of Sheldon's sneers at his education from his ivory tower), and probably has the lowest living expenses because he lives with his Mom, Penny and (pre-graduate) Bernadette are a couple of hot, buxom servers in an upscale town in an expensive state. They make far more money than any academic, especially researchers who have to beg for grant money just to function (which is what Sheldon is, by the way - just try to picture that guy teaching a class), ever will. I have no trouble at all suspending disbelief on Sheldon and Leonard having to split a place equivalent to the one Penny can afford herself.

lolwut

Don't they live in Pasadena?

Yeah; they work at Caltech. It's a cultural center in southern California. Things are not cheap there, even if the place is considered shitty locally. Their waitresses make bank.

BW, please expand on this, preferably with ballpark estimates.

(Being an acedemic myself, I’d be curious about switching to waitressing.)

If Sheldon is as good as the show makes us believe, he should be associate professor at Caltech. According to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Institute_of_Technology that should pay around $112,400.

Yeah; they work at Caltech. It's a cultural center in southern California. Things are not cheap there, even if the place is considered shitty locally. Their waitresses make bank.

Tell me more about this... this "California" and it's center of culture Pasadena...

BW, please expand on this, preferably with ballpark estimates.

(Being an acedemic myself, I’d be curious about switching to waitressing.)

How are your breasts? The service industry varies widely...

If Sheldon is as good as the show makes us believe, he should be associate professor at Caltech. According to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Institute_of_Technology that should pay around $112,400.

Does the show make you believe that Sheldon is as good as Sheldon believes he is? It didn't do that to me.

Tell me more about this... this "California" and it's center of culture Pasadena...

Yes, I don't live there. It's famous for science and the arts, however, and anything in SoCal is (generally speaking) more expensive than the same stuff in most other places. People are used to throwing down more for a meal there than they are, say for example, here, and the waitresses that I know here make way more than the academics that I know here.

I feel the same way, I keep expecting her to dump Sheldon because she has feelings for Penny or some shit like that. It was funny at first but now... not so much.

While occasionally over the top in some respects...the painting for instance...I disagree that it's too much. Sometimes it's only a line in an epsiode. It doesn't feel like a constant pressure to add in, so much as a more subtle approach to it. At least, I don't walk away from an episode feeling that they're over doing it. It's there and I know it, so the one liners are that much funnier when they come.

The painting wasn't even about Amy wanting to get into Penny's pants so much as it was about how much Amy appreciated Penny for helping her develop as a person. It's funnier because, despite how far she may have come, Amy still is a neophyte in terms of proper interpersonal relationships...

Does the show make you believe that Sheldon is as good as Sheldon believes he is? It didn't do that to me.

I've never gotten the impression that Sheldon or any of them were actually working as lecturing professors...the one episode when Sheldon did give a lecture he was mocked mercilessly on Twitter during the lecture. Something I don't think would have been as novel if he was teaching a regular class or two.

Of course, I don't exactly understand how teching at a university or simply being a researcher works...

I have no trouble at all suspending disbelief on Sheldon and Leonard having to split a place equivalent to the one Penny can afford herself.

Does Penny also have a two-bedroom apartment like Sheldon? I was under the impression that she had a one-bedroom, which would be non-equivalent.

Old Pasadena has a tiny bit of charm to it, regular Pasadena isn't all that awesome. I'm not really sure why Penny lives there, to be honest, but I assume it's because it is much cheaper than somewhere in LA-proper.

And while Sheldon may make or may not make a lot of money, I get the impression that he's the type to just hoard it under the bed and not deal with it.

Does Penny also have a two-bedroom apartment like Sheldon? I was under the impression that she had a one-bedroom, which would be non-equivalent.

True; conceded.

And while Sheldon may make or may not make a lot of money, I get the impression that he's the type to just hoard it under the bed and not deal with it.

Yeah, he doesn't cash the checks until he has to (which should probably be more often than the show implies, considering that he eats out or gets delivery food at least twice a day).

I've never gotten the impression that Sheldon or any of them were actually working as lecturing professors...the one episode when Sheldon did give a lecture he was mocked mercilessly on Twitter during the lecture. Something I don't think would have been as novel if he was teaching a regular class or two.

Of course, I don't exactly understand how teching at a university or simply being a researcher works...

In that episode didn't Leonard say that he and Sheldon occasionally had to teach courses to keep their grants or affiliation with the college or something like that?

There was also an episode where Sheldon had female groupies but I can't remember if they became aware of him as his students or by reading his research papers or both.

And Bernadette does not work at the Cheesecake Factory anymore she's a research microbiologist and making more money than even a busty waitress can pull in.

And Raj has the lowest living expenses because he gets all his money from his parents who as we learned recently aren't just "India Rich" but "Rich Rich".

There was also an episode where Sheldon had female groupies but I can't remember if they became aware of him as his students or by reading his research papers or both.

I think he caught their eye while giving a presentation trying to draw students into the university's graduate level physics program.

I'm not sure if they regularly teach or not; I'm only familiar with liberal arts academics, who would take a semester long research sabbatical every two or three years. Honestly I imagine they make decent pay...associate professors at the relatively small school in my area can make up to eighty grand a year, which isn't anything to shake a stick at, and substantially more than the waitresses and bartenders in the area, no matter how gigantic their racks are. I don't understand why the hell they have to share an apartment. I can't believe Pasadena is that expensive.

And I thought I was the only one who ever contemplated the cost of rent in the show and if Penny can really afford to live in the same place as Sheldon and vice-versa. I told my boyfriend my thoughts on that and he said, "You must be the only person on the planet that thinks about stuff like that." Hah! I will show him this.

Oh, and if Leonard and Sheldon were real geeks they would have been way more excited about Longclaw IMO.

Archived