Best and Worst POV

The Swaggering Bravo

Best:

Male - Jaime (I always look forward to these :))

Female - Catelyn (because I find her interesting and very symphatic)

Worst:

Male - Samwell (because he won't just shut up with his constant complaining)

Female - Cersei (because it feels like those POV:s really assassinated that character :()

Personally I thought Cersei was one of AFFC's saving graces. It was so bogged down with boring POV's. For me it's:

Best: Tyrion - he's just really witty and complex, and his chapters just take you everywhere. Was perhaps not as good in ADWD but still amongst my favourites.

Worst: Brienne - Her character is just boring from inside her head and her chapters were all pretty much pointless. To my recollection there are 8 Brienne chapters in AFFC, when it could easily have been cut in half. All that stuff with shagwell, nimble dick, the whispers etc could have been taken out as it was completely pointless. It would have been much better if she'd just gone from Maiden Pool straight to the Quiet Isle and then got caught by the bwb.

Areo was pretty boring as well, mainly because his character was boring and didn't do anything. But at least we get some cool political intrigue with him, and at least he's only had like three chapters.

Best overall: Tyrion. Not only the best character in the series, in my opinion, but also the most amusing to read. I also remember being very excited when I found that Jaime had become a POV character - I was dying to read his perspective, and I was not disappointed.

Worst overall: Bran. I'm just not as interested in his perspective, I guess. Posssibly because he's so young and, unlike Arya, he doesn't have a super-strong personality. It gets better in ADwD and all, but I can't help the feeling that the Bran chapters would be much more interesting if he was a few years older.

Best POV for me is usually a Lanister (used to be Tyrion but I wasn't thrilled with him in ADwD). I really enjoy the Jaime POVs and Cersei's aren't bad either.

Worst for me is a tie: Dany or Arya. In GoT I loved them both... then it just became travelogues and repetitive crap imo. I'm sure I've missed some important things cuz I basically just skim their chapters. Just too boring/painful for me to sit through. Hopefully, the next book will change that, and I'll be able to get back on the Dany/Arya bandwagons.

Best - Tyrion or Dany. It's always a delight to get inside Tyrion's head, I love how he often says something to someone and then we get what he'd really like to say in his thoughts right after. Dany... mostly because of the dragons.

Worst - Catelyn. I don't really dislike the character... her chapters just seem slower and less "active, if you will" than the others.

Best in general: Tyrion and Arya. And Jon.

A Game of Thrones

Best- Eddard and Daenerys

Worst- Sansa

A Clash of Kings

Best- Tyrion and Arya

Worst-Bran

A Storm of Swords

Best- Jaime, Arya and Tyrion. And Daenerys.

Worst-hard to choose... maybe Samwell?

A feast for crows

Best-Jaime

Worst-Brienne

A Dance with Dragons

Best- Reek/Theon

Worst- Daenerys.

Best - Tyrion or Dany. It's always a delight to get inside Tyrion's head, I love how he often says something to someone and then we get what he'd really like to say in his thoughts right after. Dany... mostly because of the dragons.

Worst - Catelyn. I don't really dislike the character... her chapters just seem slower and less "active, if you will" than the others.

Darnit, I shoulda thought of Catelyn!! Ugh...I hated her chapters...

You know, I find, on a re-read, that I find some redeeming aspects to characters I don't really like...the exception to that is Catelyn. Even on re-reads, the only good part (imo), is seeing Robb, the northmen, etc. Just my .02 but I've never been able to relate to her. She really is blach to me.

Best: Sansa, I always enjoyed her chapters, but I found myself especially looking forward to them in aSoS and aFfC. Also, Jaime, Tyrion and Theon are usually interesting reads.

Worst: Daenerys, I just never connected with her character... I also used to dread Davos' chapters, but now they're some of my favorites.

Brienne's chapters were some of my favorite to read. I thought they were written beautifully, and had a near perfect combination of emotional and physical action of suspense and drama. So many dark/light moments of human nature, war, serenity, and forgiveness were displayed in her chapters. It was a real joy for me to read her chapters. I understand that some may find them boring or pointless, but if you look deeper into what goes on in her chapters....I find it is really a representation of the held back individual fighting against their suppression in society. Her chapters are the ones that stuck with me after reading the book, her chapters are the ones I pondered on to find a real world parallel, and her chapters are the ones that tugged at my heart.

Cercei's chapters were hard for me, as they felt like work to read. She is a woman who never stops PMSing, and i just wanted to "bash my head in the wall" everytime I came across another of her chapters in AfFc. It was not until the end of the book that I began to enjoy her chapters. She just doesn't do a thing for me. If it wasn't for the important background information given in her chapters, I would find them....even more mundane.

I have throughly enjoyed chapters from these characters in the series: Tyrion, Jaime, Bran, Brienne, and Ned.

These chapters were a at times very enjoyable, and at other times a bit of a chore: Jon, Catelyn, Arya, Sansa, Davos, Samwell, Dorne chapters and Dany.

These I didn't look forward to much at all: Cercei, and some of the ironborn chapters.

Personally I thought Cersei was one of AFFC's saving graces. It was so bogged down with boring POV's. For me it's:

Really? Well I'm happy some good came from those chapters. It was good to see good 'ol Cersei get some more spotlight but she were so far from my own view of her that I was in a small state of chock and so I wasn't really able to enjoy them. :(

Best: Ned, Tyrion (pre-ADWD), Davos, Sansa (post GoT)

Worst: Jon (pre-ADWD), Dany, and to a lesser degree Arya. Jon and Dany are just split so far off from the rest of the story that seeing their name is a momentum killer. Arya is sort of the same except that the Riverlands stuff is really fantastic and I find the Braavos stuff to be really fun. I guess I basically enjoy all of these POVs but it's just annoying to have to so completely switch tracks when you see their names. Edit: I forgot Bran, who presents the same issue as Jon/Dany/Arya. Also Aeron Damphair who I just can't stand.

Archived