Your favorite Villain in the Series? SPOILERS

AngrySoviet

I don't really see Gregor Clegane, Qyburn and Ramsay Snow as villains in the sense of, the main villain a la Alan Rickman in Die Hard. They're more henchmen, evil henchmen, which serve as cannon fodder for the Bruce Willis' of this world.

Here'd be my list:

- Varys, a ruthless murmur, was profound in starting the civil war raging accross Westeros, had a part in the Stark demise, killed at least two people (probably many more that we don't know about), keeps "little birds" (aparently mute children) around and probably kills them off from time to time (and he probably makes them mute as well by removing their tongues), all for the purpose of his unknown agenda (presumable to put a Blackfyre on the throne)

- Lord Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish, a ruthless opportunist whome nobody but Tyrion Lannister (remarkably) takes serious, he is left to his own mechanations for self engrandisement and is willing to go over corpses to get to his goal, was povital in the downfall of the Starks, did his best to help start the civil war in Westeros, has an unhealthy obsession for Sansa which is threatening to turn sexual which makes him a pedo bear, killed at least one person (his own wife) and he owns several brothels, recruiting staff members probably isn't always on a voluntairly basis (see Jeyne Poole)

- Her Grace Cercei Lannister, another ruthless character who can feel no emotions when performing inherently evil acts, she is extremely selfish and hot tempered, perceives anything she doesn't like as a slight and starts the hating, is a poor judgement of character, protect Joffrey even though everyone else knows he's a spoiled little mischievious imp, Joffrey who was conceived by her own twin brother and she passed her children off as her husban's, killed at least one person (her best friend) for some stupid profacy and has sentenced/ordered the deaths of untold number of others

- Euron Greyjoy, most likely killed his brother Balon and ruthlessly assumed the throne, has killed probably dozens of people and probably molested his brother Aeron, caused Victarion to kill his own wife, is apparently a skinchanger or a greenseeer but other than that, we've seen little screentime of him yet, it is unknown what his ultimate goal really is

Those were my favourites. Walder Frey and Roose Bolton don't make it because they're not in charge, they basically commited treason born out of opportunity and as a purpose nothing else other than gratify themselves with Tywin Lannister.

Ramsay Bolton is of course, hands down, the most psychologically fucked up villain in the series, so he gets my vote.

I absolutely hate and despise the character, there is nothing he does to redeem himself just a little bit. I can't wait for him to die, preferably by his dogs. Or gettin' flayed.

I pretty much agree with the OP. Tywin Lannister, closely followed by Roose Bolton. The best villains are not the Gregors and Vargos, but the ones who actually have the cunning to succeed in evil. The "Late" Lord Frey is also a good example.

PS: Between Tywin and Roose, I think the only reason I prefer Tywin is because he's a more layered and complex character.

Varys, I'd have to say. Appears soft and harmless, speaks calmly and keeps it cool, walking around in his silent slippers, ever so humble. He's just everything bloodthirsty beasts like Gregor Clegane and Ramsay are not, yet he's so much more dangerous. My kind of villain there.

Cersei and Melisandre are my favorite characters but I consider neither of them villains (despite how often they get labeled as such); so, with that mind, I think I'll go with one Petyr Baelish, who is the best written of the bunch.

Definitely Ramsay is the worst of them all

The guy is the enemy of every one and every thing apart from his bitches even the whites wouldn't treat people like how he did with Theon

Here we go: 

Obviously my absolutely favorite villain is the man in my avatar: The Mountain that Rides, Ser Gregor Clegane. Gregor was always twisted but I think that in his early childhood, he fought his impulses. One day, or during some sort of stress he lowered his mental wall. He gave in for an instant and in that instant, the monster was born, unchained! I love his representation of a pure animal who lived only for the pleasure of rape and murder and violence. I like that he's nearly unstoppable, invincible even. I like how his height gives him  terrifying presence. He can terrify a room full of people by simply walking through the door, I can imagine that was possible before he became a knight. Some people are just born big, bad and terrifying. He's a natural monster. I've been a fan ever since I read about his murder of Elia and her children.

My second favorite is the Leech Lord, Lord of the Dreadfort and Warden of the North. That's right Roose Bolton. This guy.... Where Gregor's disposition and ambience is sheerly terrifying, Roose's is sinister. I love that he wears a pink polka-dotted cloak trimmed with fur and really wish they would have included this in the show. I love his pale, nearly white eyes. I'm not even sure he has any real motivations. According to Barbrey he doesn't feel anything. No fear, rage, sorrow, he doesn't mourn loss. It's as if he plays the game simply because he has nothing better to do until he dies. I love it. He's the meaning of the "banality of evil".

Honorable Mentions

Mance Rayder- because he somehow defeated the Weeper, Tormund Giantsbane, Horma Dogshead, the Magnar of Thenn and many other wildling leaders for a cloak. Though he can blame him, the cloak sounds pretty.

Varys- no matter if Lord Stark had been successful and gotten Stannis on the throne or not, Varys would have incited war and dissent. And there's still so little known about him and his motivations. Sure he's allied with Aegon VI. But why?

I love (or at least love to hate) many of the villains in this series, but my top two have to be Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton. They are very similar in many ways, but I enjoy any chapters that include either of them. I also like Littlefinger quite a bit, and although he is a fairly simplistic character, the Mountain That Rides is the epitome of that type of villain.

Archived