View New Posts and unread posts are out of sync between computers

naz

I use View New Posts, My Content and "Go to first unread post" almost exclusively to read the board, and I can't seem to get my home and work browsers to sync with respect to the board knowing what threads/posts I've read and what I haven't.

Work setup: Windows 7 and Chrome (latest version).

Home setup: MacOS X Snow Leopard and Chrome (latest version).

My browsers are synced using Chrome's built-in syncing utility via my google account, not through any special extension or add-on, so my browser settings, bookmarks, etc. are synced. In the last few years, I've surfed the board using the same laptop (MacBook Air) at work and home, so it hasn't been an issue. But ever since I started this new job and surfing the board on the work computer, the board never remembers threads/posts I've already read on either computer.

My Chrome settings aren't deleting cookies or anything like that, so shouldn't the board recognize threads/posts I've read across two browsers/computers? I don't seem to remember this happening 3+ years ago when I previously browsed at home and at work.

PS: I also don't leave browsers open on either computer. Both computers usually Sleep (no shutdown except for weekends, but all programs/apps get closed out when I put either computer to Sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

Do we have any updated information on this? I've noticed the same thing and it's pretty annoying trying to read from home and work.

Is it storing the post read/unread status on something local on each computer rather than associating it with the board account? Seems like that would account to the differences.

I am quite sure that this is related to the server being overloaded, as it has been happening as long as we have been having SQL errors. Until that gets fixed (no ETA on that, unfortunately), it'll keep happening.

I can't be sure since we've had SQL problems for so long, but I thought it pre-dated that. I think the board just stores that information locally, unless you know for a fact that it isn't true?

I never had problems with the board storing that kind of information until the SQL errors started happening. If I marked a subforum as "read" a couple of years ago, that would be reflected on both my work and my home computer. Now, that doesn't happen, and the board constantly loses my "place" in long threads, no matter which computer I'm using. But I don't know the details on how the board software works and it's beyond the purview of my job here in any case. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's sorta working for me, too... It remembers the posts I've read from threads that I've visited since the upgrade, but not from threads that I haven't visited from before the upgrade. Which makes sense, in a way.

But hey, it's working again... and that's good.

• 4 weeks later...

Stopped again shortly after I celebrated :P

Actually I don't know if it's not syncing between computers, or it's just being reset regularly so even on the same computer clicking on newest unread post just takes me to the first.

I turned off the relevant feature right now as it's database-intensive and we get a lot of traffic on Sunday, Monday, and (to some degree) Tuesday. We'll turn it back on when the traffic quiets down.

Archived