Would You Be An Atheist in Westeros?

Fearsome Fred

Religion is magic, at least in most part of the Know World of the series... I would probably stick with R'hlloism or Old Gods, mainly because the magic attached to these two.

"Old Gods"... weird name to name gods... are they old or cause they came before the Seven?

How were they named before the Andals and the faith of the Seven showed up in Westeros? :huh:

Anyway, I think I would prefer them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an agnostic in RL.

I think I would go for the Old Gods too, but I doubt I would be very religious or pray a lot. I would find the concept of a god (or gods) that require to be worshiped with prayers and rituals as repulsive as I find it now. But Old Gods seem most "true" to me. The concept of the Seven doesn't seem very interesting to me, and septons remind me of corrupted priests in this world. I don't really know what to think of Rhllor just yet.

• 6 months later...

I'm an agnostic in real life because I see no convincing reason to believe in a God or gods.

But in Westeros, it seems abundantly clear that the gods - or at least magicians - do have demonstrable impact on the world. For that reason, I'd go with the Old Gods of the Starks (direwolves, greensight, etc.)

Or I'd follow the Lord of Light because, terrifying though she may be, Melisandre certainly seems to have some supernatural powers... and she's sexy.

• 2 weeks later...

As an atheist I would have a problem picking just one god, so for me it would be the many-faced god, so that I could pick and choose who I wanted in my corner - so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...
As many of us, I'm atheist in real life. I do think, if God be true, there wouldn't have all those fights, and men killing other people, diseases making thousand of deaths. Well, it's only my opinion.

But it would be the same in Westeros, doesn't it? Anyway, I would turn for Old Gods, the Sevens. The Old Gods are symbolizing the old beliefs, respect... And the Sevens are a part in every person in Westeros. So this is what I would pick.

I mean I'm almost at the end of the book, Sandor Clegane's talk with Sansa Stark about gods pretty much had me convinced that atleast agnostic people do exist in Westeros.

I'd be somewhat of a agnostic, which all that famine like situation in King's landing, I think it's hard to keep faith, but probably a closeted one; who knows what they do to atheists in Westeros. Stannis is pretty harsh on those who don't accept his Lord of Light; I know that.

I'd be somewhat of a agnostic, which all that famine like situation in King's landing, I think it's hard to keep faith,

Well, I think faith, in those hard times, helps you to get better, to believe in something who may probably help you even if it's not true. Humans need to be "controlled" by something bigger than them. So faith is really important in Westeros.

Well, I think faith, in those hard times, helps you to get better, to believe in something who may probably help you even if it's not true. Humans need to be "controlled" by something bigger than them. So faith is really important in Westeros.

I know faith is an integral part of Westeros, but I think the right mix of agnostic/atheistic thought is evidently present in that world. And I think the question was if I'd be, i think i would be a atheist/agnostic person in Westeros.

Archived