A Thread for Small Questions XV

Angalin

What does "sounded his age" mean in this sentence? His voice is hinting that he's old?

“My lady, I fear he speaks the truth,” Ser Rodrik said wearily. The old knight had been wounded in the fight, a deep gash in his left arm and a spear thrust that grazed his neck, and he sounded his age. “If we linger here, they will be on us again for a certainty, and we may not live through a second attack.”

What does "sounded his age" mean in this sentence? His voice is hinting that he's old?

Yes, suggesting that Ser Rodrik is hurt and tired and, yes, old. Implying that when he is not tired and hurt he still is a pretty good fighter and a strong man, but at this moment he feels defeated and hurt and he does not have the will or the energy to look and sound like a young, strong man.

The Glovers and Tallharts would still be nobles. They just aren't paramount houses with authority over the entire region (i.e. the Starks are a paramount noble house with authority over the entire north). The Glovers and Tallharts and Boltons and so on have their own land, but they would pay taxes toward the Starks, send men and supplies if the Starks asked, etc. They have that land at the Starks' pleasure. Occasionally you'll see a smaller house sworn to one of these (like the Haighs are sworn to the Freys, who are sworn to the Tullys).

Thanks for the answer but why are their titles "Master of Deepwood Motte"instead of "Lord of Deepwood Motte", as is the case for the Boltons, Manderlys, Umbers?...

Thanks for the answer but why are their titles "Master of Deepwood Motte"instead of "Lord of Deepwood Motte", as is the case for the Boltons, Manderlys, Umbers?...

That I don't know. I'm not even sure there's a difference; it might just be a preference or style.

Does anybody ever actually call Daenerys "Dany?" She thinks of herself (or Martin refers to her) as "Dany," but have we seen anybody else call her this?

Doesn't Viserys call her Dany at least once or twice?

Doesn't Viserys call her Dany at least once or twice?

Yes, he surely calls her that just before he gets his crown.

Do we know if any past generations of Starks had direwolf companions?

Not that we know of, except the stone direwolves in the crypts.

Stannis lost at the Blackwater, can someone explain why he had still enough forces to shatter the wildling host at the Wall?

Does anybody ever actually call Daenerys "Dany?" She thinks of herself (or Martin refers to her) as "Dany," but have we seen anybody else call her this?

Same with Ned. Only a few people call him Ned, the rest just refers to him as 'Eddard' or more likely 'Lord Stark'

Stannis lost at the Blackwater, can someone explain why he had still enough forces to shatter the wildling host at the Wall?

Same with Ned. Only a few people call him Ned, the rest just refers to him as 'Eddard' or more likely 'Lord Stark'

Stannis pretty much retreated when the Lannister/Tyrell host arrived at Blackwater.As well as that Stannis was heavily outnumbered at the wall but won because the Wildlings were taken by surprise and disorganized.

Also Mance dived into the center of the fighting and was captured,essentially causing a mass retreat.

Stannis pretty much retreated when the Lannister/Tyrell host arrived at Blackwater.As well as that Stannis was heavily outnumbered at the wall but won because the Wildlings were taken by surprise and disorganized.

Also Mance dived into the center of the fighting and was captured,essentially causing a mass retreat.

Stannis also had trained knights on horseback in full armor who tore through the wildling ranks before they even knew what hit them.

Both appearances by the Others in the books were in the presence of "sentinel" trees.

Personally,I think it's probably an irrelevance,but then does George say things without a reason?

I can't think of any other mentions of sentinel trees.

Both appearances by the Others in the books were in the presence of "sentinel" trees.

Personally,I think it's probably an irrelevance,but then does George say things without a reason?

Never "without reason", but a lot of what he writes is just creating a world for us to go to. I believe he said something to that effect in a relatively recent interview.

Not everything is a plot device, sometimes it's purely color, this might be one of those times.

If all of Doran's children die without leaving heirs of their own, does Sunspear go to the oldest Sand Snake?

I ask this because I assumed it was important for them to keep the Martell last name - not for internal purposes, but to keep the respect of the rest of Westeros. Sand is hardly a family name to go with, and if they got married, wouldn't Sunspear be considered to have gone to another family, after a couple of generations?

If all of Doran's children die without leaving heirs of their own, does Sunspear go to the oldest Sand Snake?

I ask this because I assumed it was important for them to keep the Martell last name - not for internal purposes, but to keep the respect of the rest of Westeros. Sand is hardly a family name to go with, and if they got married, wouldn't Sunspear be considered to have gone to another family, after a couple of generations?

I would imagine that if a Sand Snake did inherit she would simply adopt the Martell name and if/when she married her husband would also become a Martell. A very nice king or queen might even legitimize her.

I would imagine that if a Sand Snake did inherit she would simply adopt the Martell name and if/when she married her husband would also become a Martell. A very nice king or queen might even legitimize her.

But that's the point; wouldn't she need to be legitimized to adopt the Martell name in the first place?

But that's the point; wouldn't she need to be legitimized to adopt the Martell name in the first place?

I would think that it is more important that she would probably have to be legitimized to inherit. Whoever inherits (whether it is a Sand Snake or other) would then "automatically" be allowed to be a Martell.

I'm pretty sure sentinel pines were part of the description of the forests through which Brienne and Pod were traveling.

I thought it was just some lush description, with the added bonus of having the connotations of the trees being guards or watching them. But you never know.

Archived