Website Currently Unreachable = SQL error

Greywolf2375

Since this update yesterday I haven't seen the SQL error screen, but instead have been seeing "Website Currently Unreachable". Is this the same error, just different messaging or is this new and we should try to get details whenever possible to the admins?

I suspect it is the next level up on the scale of severity of things.

Here's one I haven't seen before.

This page

http://asoiaf.wester...eneral-chatter/

is currently offline. However, because the site uses CloudFlare's Always Onlineâ„¢ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Alternatively, you can

retry the live version

The "Website Currently Unreachable" error appears when the connection to the website is slow. This may have been routing issues, so nothing directly to do with the server, though it could have to do with there being a lot of visitors as well.

The Apache test page gets shown when we take down the forum entirely to let the server catch up a bit. Hopefully that won't be needed now that we have the upgrade done, but the SQL errors and the slowness can still occur when the load is high.

I think they've been working on things and occasionally need stop access to the site, even though the web server is still running. While up until yesterday, when all the SQL errors appeared, it seemed to relate to times of day where site usage would be high, today, it seems sporadic. I'm guessing they're working on the site.

EDIT: I guess the feature that shows when new posts have occurred while preparing one, isn't always working. :blushing:

Sundays and Mondays will very likely be having issues during the time the show airs. We've managed to get it running smoother than last year, but some outages will happen.

I could see the forum earlier today, but I couldn't post to it, when I tried, I got the error message. I don't think this website likes my Google Chrome browser.

It has nothing to do with Chrome, just too much traffic. I had a whole long post lost last week because when I hit 'post' I got the SQL error.

Harden your heart to it, my friend, it's only going to get worse heading up to the season finale.

It has nothing to do with Chrome, just too much traffic. I had a whole long post lost last week because when I hit 'post' I got the SQL error.

Harden your heart to it, my friend, it's only going to get worse heading up to the season finale.

With the current problems related to such heavy traffic, I now just routinely copy and paste to a word document before I push the "Post" button. Quite maddening, but I'm just so grateful for this forum and this site, it's quite OK in the long run.

We're working on things to improve the situation, and I think for the most part we've managed quite a bit. Unfortunately, these last two days we discovered that we're besties with a badly-coded msnbot spider which was sending 200 requests a second and completely tying up the forum and wiki. We've taken steps to try and avoid that from happening in the future. If we're lucky, it'll make a significant difference in the long run, if it turns out that the load from bad bots have been a big factor in outtages at peak hours.

We're working on things to improve the situation, and I think for the most part we've managed quite a bit. Unfortunately, these last two days we discovered that we're besties with a badly-coded msnbot spider which was sending 200 requests a second and completely tying up the forum and wiki. .

NOOooooooo! The Board was under attack! The Board must defend itself from evil robots!

I'll be honest, I feel that those down times are not just an annoyance, but a huge problem, yesterday I couldnt log in for the most part. I am very glad to see you guys working on this, I hope this has fixed and/or improved the situation.

See the annoncement we've posted. Yesterday was a very particular problem.

Can I have a link or at least name of the topic? Sometimes I'm horrible at finding things :dunce: .

In last week or so I had problem to load the forum most of the time, I really hope it will improve.

Anyway, I noticed that email notifications aren't working (at least for me) is it officially one of the functions that have been turned off?

To summarize, first the site was brought down by search engine spiders hitting us very hard. Today we have had other issues, with load on the server spiralling out of control.

We have not been able to identify what is going wrong and thus we cannot give any information about when it might stop happening as we don't know what the problem is. It is possible that there are hardware issues with the server, corruption of the database or something else.

Archived