Nooo! Encounter with kid named after "ASOiAF" characters

ServantOnIce

A little cat decided to come to my house the other day for love and food, and I called her Arya. Mostly because I love the name and the character, but also because this cat was brave and bold enough to come into someone's house, especially as most city cats run away from people. She was white with pinkish ears so I could have called her Ghost, but she was meowing like crazy and I thought Arya suited her better.

Shouldn't have named her though - she never came back :frown5:

Anyway the point is, I would name a child or a pet after a character, but I prefer the name to mean something. I think Daario is a nice name, unusual for England as a whole I would expect. I like unusual names, probably because mine is so boring. Daenerys is a bit much for a child, maybe as a middle name or for a pet.

Oh yeah and if I ever get over my fear of dogs and get one, it'll be called Sandor for definite.

No strange encounters with Aryas or Hot Pies for me, but if my mare has a foal in the future and it is male, I will name it Stranger. Yep.

Also, we have a horse in the stable that's named Sander...close to Sandor. Always makes me giggle since I saw the TV show

And Daario isn't that bad a name. Better than Jaqen or Hizdahr or Euron for sure!

In the UK, our Diane Sawyer is a snarky, stuck up, presumptuous asshole called Jon Snow. I watch the channel 4 news as often as I can, hoping that someone will tell him "you know nothing, Jon Snow."

Anyway back to the original post, I would totally name my kid Jorah

:rofl: :rofl:

YES! This needs to happen!

The cultural insensitivity here in this post is kind of ridiculous.

Obviously GRRM is inspired by a lot of different cultures. One of which is the Persian/Iranian culture, which he has said himself.

As someone mentioned earlier, Daario is Persian Daario (s) with added s also works. Arya, psh well heck is a Persian name as well. Aryan, is my brothers name, and Arya and Arianne is also Persian feminized versions of Aryan. Shireen, another Persian name and word, means sweet. The list goes on. Asha, I believe is an Indian name.

Just a little research and you will find that these names are not entirely unique to ASOIF, although sometimes he puts a unique spin on them with regard to spelling.

Isn't shireen the persian Version of Irene (greek for peace) ?

this is also why I'm seriously considering the name Asha(sanskrit for hope) for one of my future daughters

Named my Bulldog Ned, reallllly suits him.

I WISH my name was Bronn!!! What a bad-ass name.

I actually think more things need to be named after ASOIAF characters.

Everyone now-a-days gives their boys such girly names, Aiden, Jaden WTF is up with that? I dare you to try and pick on little Victarion, Bronn, Sandor, or Stannis.

I know GRRM is a big football fan, so George if you are listening: Can we please get a wildling based on Rob Gronkowski (Gronk maybe)? IDK why but every time I see him I just picture him saying "Gronk Smash".

I want someone to take out LeBron James so bad, not dead but maybe an injury or something, and start calling themselves the Kingslayer. Best sports nick-name ever.

The cultural insensitivity here in this post is kind of ridiculous.

Obviously GRRM is inspired by a lot of different cultures. One of which is the Persian/Iranian culture, which he has said himself.

As someone mentioned earlier, Daario is Persian Daario (s) with added s also works. Arya, psh well heck is a Persian name as well. Aryan, is my brothers name, and Arya and Arianne is also Persian feminized versions of Aryan. Shireen, another Persian name and word, means sweet. The list goes on. Asha, I believe is an Indian name.

Just a little research and you will find that these names are not entirely unique to ASOIF, although sometimes he puts a unique spin on them with regard to spelling.

I can't speak for anyone else, and I haven't seen all the other comments, but for myself, I didn't care for the name Daario because of his person- not his name.

I wouldn't name my child Ramsey either. :stillsick:

If I could re-name my cats over, it would definitely be Robert and Cersei.

Duncan is a 25 pound Maine Coon with a head the size of a grapefruit who plays with dog toys, and has a dog carrier.

Nina is a sleek, blonde Tabby with golden eyes and is a psycho, (but I say that in love), and will kill anything that moves

Duncan annoys her on every occasion he gets, loves to eat, and if he could drink he probably would.

Nina strikes back whenever he's least expecting.

When they run, they sound like two baby elephants crashing through the house.

I meet a lot of people who have ASOIAF names, but thats really not surprising, since i am from Hungary, where Sandor and Janos are two very popular names, their English translation would be Alexander and John respectively :)

One little difference though: my language has some extra letters, and their names are written as János and Sándor :) and Sándor is pronounced as if it were Shandor, and János is pronounced as if it were written something like Yános :)

Archived