[Book Spoilers] Should the RW happen in Season 3 or Season 4?

mpbarnes

A backwards travelling, like the first shot of A Clockwork Orange... that would rock... on Robb siting on a throne with Grey's Winds face...

Or, as I would prefer to do if I was the director: just a long shot of rain and mud with the Twins in the back, nearly distinguishable behind the curtains of rain.

I think a super way to do the RW would be to film it in slow motion. I have seen some movies and TV programs use this method during really dramatic scenes, and it's very effective, works really well.

No. It would take away all the madness and all the "WTF is going on?" of the scene. If it should be used anywhere in the scene, it should go:

Bolton: "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." *Stab*

*Robb falls to the ground in slo-mo*

I think you all need to peruse this quote from Weiss on how they're approaching the adaptation:

A season of television needs to feel like a season of television. We have so many storylines to juggle, and they all need to ideally have a sense of a beginning, middle and end over the course of a season. Each character needs to feel like they're traveling a specific road in the course of a season, and coming out as a different person than they went in. It's never going to be about taking a book and ripping it in half -- 'At page 673, this is the place where [the season] ends.' It comes down to case-by-case [decisions] with each story and how best to serve each character's story going forward.

So they'll certainly include the Red Wedding in S3 -- Robb/Cat do nothing before it -- and I think this quote indicates they'll include Joff's wedding as well. Because nothing in King's Landing in ASOS can possibly have "a beginning, middle, and end" if Joff's wedding is not included -- all events there build to that.

Another thing they'll do is add many more new / changed around scenes. Look at this season, already we spent tons of time on the massacre of Robert's bastards (offscreen in the books), added the Jon/Craster, Stannis/Mel, and Marg/Renly scenes not to mention all the LF and Ros stuff. Later this year apparently Robb, Dany, and Jaime have a lot of invented / changed material. If they're trying to make the first half or two thirds of ASOS into a satisfactory season, they're gonna have to invent a lot more stuff.

I doubt that Joff's wedding will be in season 3. The beginning, middle, and end at KL will be Sansa's friendship with Margaery Tyrell, the plan to marry her to Willas Tyrell, their fallout, her wedding with Tyrion Lannister, and her reaction to the Red Wedding. The end of season 3 will show us the Lannisters in nearly complete control of Westeros, and Joffrey at the height of his power.

Robb/Cat will have enough to do in the beginning of the season to introduce the Tullys, and to reintroduce/explain the whole conflict with the Freys. The audience will have completely forgotten Lord Walder by then, so we will really need a reminder.

This will be quite a travel in my opinion. As to added stuff for season 3, I guess they will expand the whole conflict between Tyrion and his family (i.e. Tywin, Joffrey, and Cersei).

No idea what they will do on Dragonstone, though. Stannis virtually does nothing throughout ASoS until the very end. To create conflict/tension/story we'll really need Edric Storm, Ser Axell Florent, Selyse, Shireen, and Lord Alester. They could use a few Mel/Stannis or Davos/Salladhor scenes to give us some Azor Ahai background as well, but besides that I've no clue... It's impossible/would make no sense for Stannis to make for the Wall in season 3. Stannis saving the ass of the Night's Watch has to be as much a surprise in the series as it was in the book.

No. It would take away all the madness and all the "WTF is going on?" of the scene. If it should be used anywhere in the scene, it should go:

Bolton: "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." *Stab*

*Robb falls to the ground in slo-mo*

I dont like this idea... slow motion is in most case ridiculous... except if really well done... but I agree, I'd like to see some shots done at the Phantom during the show... they have the budget to shoot on Arri Alexa, so guess a Phantom would be possible too, but it is to be used very carefuly not to look cheesy and silly.

End S3 with the end of the RW. Hear everyone around the world cry and scream.

But dont forget the Axe to the neck thing with Arya- I think D&D must include that as it is quite terrifying. and with everyone else dying, people would acctualy believe that Arya is dead as well.

Don't forget we have two cliffhangers here!

But dont forget the Axe to the neck thing with Arya- I think D&D must include that as it is quite terrifying. and with everyone else dying, people would acctualy believe that Arya is dead as well.

yeah, that makes the most sense....

Did anyone actually think Arya was gonna die at that point, though? Firstly, why would the Hound want to kill her? Secondly, it was obvious that her story wasn't done yet, lest all the character building throughout her journeys would've been for naught.

Did anyone actually think Arya was gonna die at that point, though? Firstly, why would the Hound want to kill her? Secondly, it was obvious that her story wasn't done yet, lest all the character building throughout her journeys would've been for naught.

Completely agree. I didn't think for a second that Arya was actually dead, and I think ending the episode with that detracts from the impact of the actual Red Wedding massacre. The episode shoudl end with Catelyn getting her throat slit; going from that to the obvious cliffhanger of Arya getting hit by the Hound, and having that end the episode, just seems kinda cheap to me.

I never thought Arya was dead.

I think you all need to peruse this quote from Weiss on how they're approaching the adaptation:

So they'll certainly include the Red Wedding in S3 -- Robb/Cat do nothing before it -- and I think this quote indicates they'll include Joff's wedding as well. Because nothing in King's Landing in ASOS can possibly have "a beginning, middle, and end" if Joff's wedding is not included -- all events there build to that.

I REALLY hope that! It would really be a weak season for Tyrion/Sansa/Joffrey/Cersei otherwise.

Honestly, to give each character a "beginning, middle and end" in S3 they'll have to use much more than half of ASOS.

And since I really trust D&D, I'd say...RW in Ep.8 and PW in Ep.10 ;)

The REAL problem is that we live in a digital age and most fans of the show also probably read things on forums and blogs. A lot of people were spoiled with Ned's beheading in Season One and I just know that the Red Wedding will be spoiled for a lot of people. There are a lot of prickish spoiler trolls who like to drop bombs on clueless tv fans. Just look at the comments section of any GoT videos on Youtube. Chock full of spoilers like "Can't wait for Joffrey to choke to death!" or "Can't wait for Jon to find out he's a Targaryen!"

The REAL problem is that we live in a digital age and most fans of the show also probably read things on forums and blogs. A lot of people were spoiled with Ned's beheading in Season One and I just know that the Red Wedding will be spoiled for a lot of people. There are a lot of prickish spoiler trolls who like to drop bombs on clueless tv fans. Just look at the comments section of any GoT videos on Youtube. Chock full of spoilers like "Can't wait for Joffrey to choke to death!" or "Can't wait for Jon to find out he's a Targaryen!"

I don't think it's that big of an issue. There are a lot of trolls and just outright assholes that spoil stuff on youtube or imdb or whatever, but I believe the vast majority of viewers don't discuss the show on message boards or youtube. So most people aren't getting spoiled.

Archived