Your opinion of Edmure Tully?

Batman

Edmure would be a better peace-time leader but don't forget he defeated Tywin Lannister in battle!

Only because he's a bloody hot-head who's rubbish at following orders!

I get your point, it's true that Edmure doesn't have the strongest of will, so there's a chance he'd give in to temptation, but in that case I'd imagine he'd be more like Robert, letting other people rule in his place while he went drinking and wenching in taverns, rather than someone like Tywin Lannister who'd kill you for making a bad joke.

And welcome to the boards !

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not sure about Edmure turning into another Robert, I think he's too vain to descend into a drunken stupour like that. I'm Team Blackfish all the way!

Really no reason to believe he isn't a good war-time leader either. I think it would be easy for anyone to make the mistake he did in defending the fords. Here are just a few reasons he would want to keep Tywin from crossing.

A.) He had no idea of Tywin's intentions once he crossed the fords.

B.) The riverlands had already been ravaged and many of his people returned to rebuild, its not unreasonable to want to protect them.

C.) He most likely assumed Tywin was giving chase to Robb, its not unreasonable for him to want to protect his king and nephew.

Maybe he didn't see the 'big picture' or strategy but that is not his fault. He also had a few leaders there helping him plan the defense who are PROVEN military leaders and strategists and trusted by Robb/Blackfish (i.e. Jason Mallister). The 'big picture' got by all of them, it's only Robb's fault for not sharing the strategy with all of his bannermen.

Maybe he is a little vain and full of himself, but a vast majority of the Lords were also. The only ones that aren't vain probably were when they were Edmure's age. There are a few exceptions, such as Robb, but they are the exceptions and not the rule. The only Edmure is guilty of is being young.

Only because he's a bloody hot-head who's rubbish at following orders!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not sure about Edmure turning into another Robert, I think he's too vain to descend into a drunken stupour like that. I'm Team Blackfish all the way!

Robb: "Hold Riverrun for me"

Edmure: "Okay."

Tywin starts advancing on Riverrun.

Edmure goes out and halts his advance.

The only failure was Robb not telling his plans to his commanders. An often overlooked part of his "plan" was for Bolton to wait for Tywin to advance west than to pursure him...only he also didn't even tell Bolton this.

Edmure is not a great military leader, but faulting him for Robb's incompetence is just silly.

While I don't think that Edmure is the most competent Lord or ruler, I do believe that he did as well as could be expected from a man that is young, unschooled in war time, and has recently just fell into this office. I do think he is capable of becoming a competent Lord. After all is said and done, he will know how he needs to play the Game of Thrones. ;)

While I don't think that Edmure is the most competent Lord or ruler, I do believe that he did as well as could be expected from a man that is young, unschooled in war time, and has recently just fell into this office. I do think he is capable of becoming a competent Lord. After all is said and done, he will know how he needs to play the Game of Thrones. ;)

I agree

he was thrown into cold and he swam counts for me as succesfull

Robb: "Hold Riverrun for me"

Edmure: "Okay."

Tywin starts advancing on Riverrun.

Edmure goes out and halts his advance.

The only failure was Robb not telling his plans to his commanders. An often overlooked part of his "plan" was for Bolton to wait for Tywin to advance west than to pursure him...only he also didn't even tell Bolton this.

Edmure is not a great military leader, but faulting him for Robb's incompetence is just silly.

Pretty much this,

As a rule of thumb a commander should know the general intentions of the commander 2 rungs up from him

this not only allows him to step up if his commander is killed. It also means that he can tailor his own plans so that they complement rather than interfere with the grander scheme and allow him to take best advantage of unforeseen opportunities on the battlefield as they arise,

In Edmure's case had he known Rob's plan he'd have left enough soldiers in RIverun to withstand a siege and staged a demonstration at the crossings, before allowing the Lannister forces to cross at a place of his choosing and withdrawing in good order, ready to crush any forces left besieging Riverun and haras Tywins rear

Pretty much this,

As a rule of thumb a commander should know the general intentions of the commander 2 rungs up from him

this not only allows him to step up if his commander is killed. It also means that he can tailor his own plans so that they complement rather than interfere with the grander scheme and allow him to take best advantage of unforeseen opportunities on the battlefield as they arise,

In Edmure's case had he known Rob's plan he'd have left enough soldiers in RIverun to withstand a siege and staged a demonstration at the crossings, before allowing the Lannister forces to cross at a place of his choosing and withdrawing in good order, ready to crush any forces left besieging Riverun and haras Tywins rear

Thou does not understand. What's this "Commander's Intent" you keep speaking of? 'O strange man claiming to be from the future. And what's this "five paragraph op-order" you keep mentioning? Sounds like some vile sorcery. You ser, are touched in the head.

I don't think it's wholly Robb's fault for not informing Edmure. Robb has been following the advice of the Blackfish, who like Hoster and Catelyn, seem to shit on Edmure every chance given. It is more than likely the Blackfish strongly suggested to Robb not to inform Edmure thinking that Edmure is just a sheep following the wolf and Blackfish, and Robb went along with it. I'm not absolving Robb of blame, just lessening it compared to the Blackfish.

Edmure is an average leader all around. His desire to protect his people is his greatest virture, but due to the Riverland's location, also his greatest fault. He still managed to win a battle against Tywin, regardless of being out numbered two to one. If Edmure was born an Arryn, or a Stark, or pretty much anyone but a tully, he would be a much better leader.

There's my two cents anyways. Brynden Tully might be the blackfish of the family, but Edmure is the scapegoat nobody in his family respects.

To be honest, Edmure annoys me but I do have sympathy for him considering how he ended up. The things that really annoy me about his character are how full of himself he is and how easily he gets frustrated. When he couldn't shoot the arrow and stalked away like a child it was a little grating for me. Like others, I would agree that he would make an okay peacetime ruler given he has someone like the blackfish helping him.

As for the whole Tywin thing, i'd be the first one to defend Robb but we have to lay some sort of fault on him. As mad as I was when I realised that Edmure had ruined the plan I had been rooting for him the whole time to keep defeating Tywin. No one saw the big picture because Robb didn't bother to tell them.

Archived