[Book Spoilers] The Masked Lady

catstory

Cool mask, but not Quaithe's mask. Her mask needed to be a solid red lacquer mask that shows absolutely nothing of her face. And I expected the rest of her clothing to cover up her body as well, so that for all we knew you were talking to a shadow wearing a suit of clothing.

Sometimes what sounds decent on page does not translate to the visual medium. Your description of the Quaithe's appearance in the books is a prime example. I much prefer this kind of mask, it looks far better. It also allows part of the actors expression to show through. And the beautiful eyes.

I didn't care for her clothing, though.

BTW, someone on another forum noticed the similarity in jewelry between Melisandre's necklace and the Quaithe's arm bands. (and the hexagonal pattern of her mask/jewerly) She also carries a some sort of large jewel visible under her mask.

My first thought at seeing her was that all the will they/won't they go to Asshai debate is basically settled, Quaithe is a character who they could very easily not include in the TV series and the story wouldn't be altered... to this point in the books. The writers have to at least have some sense of where GRRM is going with the story, and I'd think if he wasn't going to take Dany to Asshai then they wouldn't bother including Quaithe.

That being said, sometimes the only thing that gets me through some of the drier Dany chapter is hoping against hope Quaithe will appear and give us a little mythology hint, so I'm really glad to see her on the show. Also looks-wise, yeah it's not the mask I always pictured, but she's clearly a very beautiful woman so Ashara Dayne/Shiera Seastar still on the table in my mind!

Dany is going to Asshai? News to me... but that would help clarify the point of Quaithe and her reason for existence in GRRM's world. She has quite a shroud of mystery about her in the books, and I see the TV show has treated her the same. Do we hear from her against before ADwD?

I didn't remember her speaking to Ser Jorah though? Did that happen in the books. I remember Quaithe warns Dany about the Kraken and some other stuff but that's about it.

No, you're remembering correctly, in the book she had the conversation with Dany.

Guess I'm the only one who was creeped out by her eyes :| To me they looked like they were bulging out, giving the impression she was sick or emaciated under there.

Dany is going to Asshai? News to me... but that would help clarify the point of Quaithe and her reason for existence in GRRM's world. She has quite a shroud of mystery about her in the books, and I see the TV show has treated her the same. Do we hear from her against before ADwD?

Yes, Quaithe gives Dany her traveling instructions before she leaves Qarth in Clash:

"To go north, you must go south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

Asshai, Dany thought. She would have me go to Asshai. "Will the Asshai'i give me an army?" she demanded. "Will there be gold for me in Asshai? Will there be ships? What is there in Asshai that I will not find in Qarth?"

"Truth," said the woman in the mask. And bowing, she faded back into the crowd.

I've always thought this was a very important prophecy and am really hoping to see it this season.

I thought her dress was a little bit hipster, but the mask worked for me. I pictured her totally differently - flowing robes, hood and of course the lacquer mask. I'm just glad she made an appearance, and also the House of the Undying - woot woot

Since we know how the actress looks (just find her in IMDB), I'll be keeping a lookout to see if the Quaithe will make an appearance incognito, without the mask.

I didn't remember her speaking to Ser Jorah though? Did that happen in the books. I remember Quaithe warns Dany about the Kraken and some other stuff but that's about it.

Remember all the Dany stuff in the books is from the Dany POV(*). If it was outside of her view, and Jorah didn't tell her, we would not read about it in the book. My point being that it does not contradict the book.

*So far Dany has only been observed by another POV in one scene, but that comes later.

Yes, Laura Pradelska was announced as Quaithe back in June or July of last year.

Lord! is Laura going through the whole series wearing that mask?

Granted Quaithe does not appear that much.

It was awsome to see Quaithe appear, but yes I also pictured her different. To me it would be some kind of Skyrim Nightingale robe with a hood and a mask but still glad she showed up and can't wait to see the House of the Undying :D

Yes, Quaithe gives Dany her traveling instructions before she leaves Qarth in Clash:

"To go north, you must go south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

Asshai, Dany thought. She would have me go to Asshai. "Will the Asshai'i give me an army?" she demanded. "Will there be gold for me in Asshai? Will there be ships? What is there in Asshai that I will not find in Qarth?"

I've always thought this was a very important prophecy and am really hoping to see it this season.

In fact Quaithe doesn't actually confirm that she has to visit Asshai. Passing beneath the shadow could refer to something else.

There is a very popular interpretation of the prophecy, which says Dany must travel east through the sea, around the globe of the world and reach Westeros from the west. I am almost certain that Dany will reach Westeros this route.

George R.R. Martin also pointed out in an interview, that no one has ever tried to do such a travel yet in the world of SoIaF.

There is a very popular interpretation of the prophecy, which says Dany must travel east through the sea, around the globe of the world and reach Westeros from the west. I am almost certain that Dany will reach Westeros this route.

George R.R. Martin also pointed out in an interview, that no one has ever tried to do such a travel yet in the world of SoIaF.

Hrm, I thought Euron did it? I'm probably misremembering.

Archived