Stannis humor

To be fair to D&D, Stannis didn't have his highpoint until late in ASoS, so maybe S4 will be better for him.

Even if it is, the damage is already done. It's like with Loras, no one's going to take him seriously again, they've made him into a walking gaaaaaay! joke and he won't shake it.

Like I said, I suspect many starting liking him because of his saving the NW, which obviously hasn't happened on the show yet.

Yeah but we didn't think in the books, he was religious pervert, who begs for booty. In the books we saw Stannis contemplating for a long time whether to burn Edric or not. And that last scene of Stannis of the season, really killed it. It would seem he went there because Mel told him, not Davos. I am sorry but to me they have destroyed Stannis. I don't think he is coming out of that perception. Not to mention they don't have Stannis's one-liners in the show. Most unsullied i know thinks that he is evil and is a sex toy of the red woman.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah but we didn't think in the books, he was religious pervert, who begs for booty. In the books we saw Stannis contemplating for a long time whether to burn Edric or not. And that last scene of Stannis of the season, really killed it. It would seem he went there because Mel told him, not Davos. I am sorry but to me they have destroyed Stannis. I don't think he is coming out of that perception. Not to mention they don't have Stannis's one-liners in the show. Most unsullied i know thinks that he is evil and is a sex toy of the red woman.

This is why i'm starting to dislike the show. "Good" characters get special treatment and their worse acts in the books are wiped away. Whilst guys like Stannis get their bad deeds emphasized and the good deeds washed off.

Must contribute to the thread!

Stannis after receiving news of the Red Wedding:

"Is the hand of R'hllor spotted and palsied?" asked

Stannis. "This sounds more Walder Frey's handiwork than
any god's."

"R'hllor chooses such instruments as he requires." The

ruby at melisandre's throat shone redly. "His ways are

mysterious, but no man may withstand his fiery will."

"No man may withstand him!" The queen cried.

"Be quiet, woman. You are not at a nightfire now."

To be fair to D&D, Stannis didn't have his highpoint until late in ASoS, so maybe S4 will be better for him.

Yeah but what about the S3 content?

Jaime Lannister killed Ser Cleos in season 2, but season 3 was perfect for him. The season 4 trailer gave me hope, Dany sounded batshit and Ser Jorah dispelled the idea of one side being the "bad" side, and said there is is "good" on both sides just in time to show a clip of Stannis the Mannis.

I am hoping D&D have just been trolling and re enforcing public perception, since by half way through Storm most readers still think Stan is evil.

Am I the only one who thinks of Stannis humor as being voiced by the late, great Leslie Nielsen? A consummate straight man in a comedic situation if ever there was one. There are already too many examples in this thread, but just think of them being voiced in Nielsen's complete deadpan, seemingly absolute unawareness of being funny:

"This is not King's Landing."

"In your bed, she's like to die that way."

"...I give them clear cool water, and they mutter about how queer it tastes."

"Then we should make new lords."

And some of TWOW spoilers are awesome too. I think Stannis as a comedian will peak over the next book or two.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah but what about the S3 content?

I knew this thread was getting a little too fond of Stannis not to have that sentiment trampled into the dirt a few pages later.

Before digging in, i should say that I have my issues with the portrayal of Stannis. Wish we could have gotten "2 is not 3," I do believe it would really have messed with their timeline though, but, whatever, it's one line. Overall he seems a bit more in thrall of Mel than in the books for the lesser. And the fetus jars were so effed it literally pulled me out of the scene.

I would never say you can't not like something, or that you 'don't get it man.' But I do think to say (not you personally) that Stannis has been protrayed as a villain, is to be more attached to the narrative of responses on these forums than what the show actually presents.

In S3E8 his conversation with Davos is pretty much word for word from the book. And i believe it's clear in Dillane's performance Stannis is there to hear Davos because he doesn't want to kill Gendry. And D&D's 'portrayal' extends beyond acting. Notice how Davos is shot from the outside looking in, and Stannis is shot from the inside looking out so that both men are behind bars, prisoners, as they speak. Also, in the dungeon scene he says, "I never believed. But when you see the truth, when it's right there, in front of you, as real as these iron bars how can you deny her god is real.He also seems disturbed at Mel with the leeches. And he (not in E8) admits, with a tinge of guilt, "I murdered my brother." His perfect awkwardness with Shireen.

Back in season 2, holding Storms End story, promoting a "crabber's son" to hand of the king effectively creating the only meritocracy within Westeros. Leading the front lines against the Lannisters. Him striking the word 'beloved' - it's all there.

And as to him being horny, sons and patriarchy have been one of the main subtexts of this show since the pilot. Go back and rewatch if you care to, Stannis never asks for sex, he only ever asks for a son. When he seems a little butt hurt at her leaiving dragonstone, remember that she is one of two most/only trusted advisors. And the other one is in the dungeon. He's a ship without a rudder. He was told he was the messiah and that his victory was prophesized (seen in the flames). Then he got crushed just as it seemed he was actually going to win after a devastating opening salvo. i don't care if you are Stannis the Mannis, that's going to fuck you up.

As far as showing them have sex, come on. We saw her pregnant and literally give birth. This is Martin, you can't just say 'abracadabra... MAGIC!!" It has a price. it has a cost. There are rituals that, quite frankly, we know little to nothing about.

I think whoever said upthread that D&D might just be subverting viewer expectation might be right. I'm hoping they are anyway.

I knew this thread was getting a little too fond of Stannis not to have that sentiment trampled into the dirt a few pages later.

Before digging in, i should say that I have my issues with the portrayal of Stannis. Wish we could have gotten "2 is not 3," I do believe it would really have messed with their timeline though, but, whatever, it's one line. Overall he seems a bit more in thrall of Mel than in the books for the lesser. And the fetus jars were so effed it literally pulled me out of the scene.

I would never say you can't not like something, or that you 'don't get it man.' But I do think to say (not you personally) that Stannis has been protrayed as a villain, is to be more attached to the narrative of responses on these forums than what the show actually presents.

In S3E8 his conversation with Davos is pretty much word for word from the book. And i believe it's clear in Dillane's performance Stannis is there to hear Davos because he doesn't want to kill Gendry. And D&D's 'portrayal' extends beyond acting. Notice how Davos is shot from the outside looking in, and Stannis is shot from the inside looking out so that both men are behind bars, prisoners, as they speak. Also, in the dungeon scene he says, "I never believed. But when you see the truth, when it's right there, in front of you, as real as these iron bars how can you deny her god is real.He also seems disturbed at Mel with the leeches. And he (not in E8) admits, with a tinge of guilt, "I murdered my brother." His perfect awkwardness with Shireen.

Back in season 2, holding Storms End story, promoting a "crabber's son" to hand of the king effectively creating the only meritocracy within Westeros. Leading the front lines against the Lannisters. Him striking the word 'beloved' - it's all there.

And as to him being horny, sons and patriarchy have been one of the main subtexts of this show since the pilot. Go back and rewatch if you care to, Stannis never asks for sex, he only ever asks for a son. When he seems a little butt hurt at her leaiving dragonstone, remember that she is one of two most/only trusted advisors. And the other one is in the dungeon. He's a ship without a rudder. He was told he was the messiah and that his victory was prophesized (seen in the flames). Then he got crushed just as it seemed he was actually going to win after a devastating opening salvo. i don't care if you are Stannis the Mannis, that's going to fuck you up.

As far as showing them have sex, come on. We saw her pregnant and literally give birth. This is Martin, you can't just say 'abracadabra... MAGIC!!" It has a price. it has a cost. There are rituals that, quite frankly, we know little to nothing about.

I think whoever said upthread that D&D might just be subverting viewer expectation might be right. I'm hoping they are anyway.

Where is his humor?

I don't think Stannis has been completely ruined, it's just that there are already too many characters that they need to make shine first. We're just waiting for them to die.

The problem with how Stannis is being portrayed is that, imo, DD are relying too much of how fandom who already knows the character knows about him without considering that it's his dry sense of humour what makes him likeable.

Stannis isn't shown in his best light in the show, but he's far from ruined (objectivelly looking, he might well be one of the less ruined characters among the main ones). Him begging for another shadow baby was a sorry sight, but his sterness and dry humour are still there. He can still shine, and I do believe he still will, once we start seeing more of him in season 5.

Stannis has a certain dry wit that can induce a chuckle or two, but you are waaaay overstating things calling him the funniest character in the novels. I wouldn't even put him in the top 5.

Au contraire...Stannis' deadpan one-liners are some of the funniest in the series and the only ones that I can remember that made me put down the books laughing.

Archived