Moments of Foreshadowing

Patchface12

"Ser Rodrik should teach me to use a poleaxe. If I had a poleaxe with a big long haft Hodor could be my legs. We could be a knight together."

"I Think that . . . unlikely," Maester Luwin said. "Bran, when a man fights, his arms and legs and thoughts must be as one."

From GAME.

Bran warging Hodor, and having warg powers in general.

Elephants = Fake Dragon

Elsewhere than Asia and perhaps outside Volantis, Elephants are synomym of bigger, but fake motive (a big campaign for a fake king, a big presidential election for a corrupt partidary), Elephants are big creature, however they are not dangerous, they are not the king of their habitats, they are not rude, they are easily tamed. It is like the Troy Horse, but excluding the hoaxes and its effectiveness parts.

One I noticed on re-read. When Ned is put into black cells and Jon is contemplating leaving the NW, Mormont tells him 'Things you love will destroy you!' and he also asks Jon what would his father do if he had to choose between his family and his honour. Ned chooses things that he loves and they kill him.

Same is true for almost all major dead characters. Robb died because of Jane, Jon 'died' because or Arya.

All in all GRRM is not really big on love... almost all characters loose people they really love... if there is true love, GRRM will kill it off.

"Youll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers" Arya I, GOT

I really hope this is not one of the foreshadowings :bawl:

Not compared to a Lion and a Dragon, what I'm trying to tell, is that an Elephant is a trouble, but a real dragon is a lot more

Elephants kill about 500 people a year. They ranked 4th most dangerous animal in Africa. Lion is #8.

http://goafrica.about.com/od/africasafariguide/tp/dangerousanimals.htm

God forbid any of the houses be represented by a Hippo, they would surely rule Westeros.

Damn. Really? I have to really run through my re-read faster...

Why am I not remembering that line?

Or, will the blacksmith have her hand in marriage ?LOL!

Er, eventually, like down the road, of course.

It's in Arya I, so maybe you have to go back in your reread.

As for the foreshadowing... when Pycelle tells Ned that poison is a woman's weapon. I actually thought Ser Hugh had killed Jon Arryn when GRRM stopped mentioning him... what a fool.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but rereading Arya in ACOK, in her very first chapter, Yoren is beating her in the woods. After, he explained how he was supposed to take Ned but something went queer:

"Jofffrey," Arya breathed. "Someone should kill him"

Yoren: "Someone will, but it won't be me, nor you neither"

Then I remembered when I first read this, I thought: "Interesting, must remember"

I forgot it anyway.

How do dragons rank? Do they kill more or less people a year than elephants and lions? :)

They are mythical creatures that do not exist, so they kill 0 people a year. Any houses represented by dragons says they have mythical powers, but they don't.

Jon dreams about talking to Bran as a tree,he describes him as smelling of a tree, wolf and boy. Bran also says how he likes being in the dark where he is. Considering this happens in Clash of Kings it is a pretty big bit of foreshadowing.

Brienne

I will find her, my lady, Brienne swore to Lady Catelyn's restless shade. I will never stop looking. I will give up my life if need be, give up my honor, give up all my dreams, but I will find her.

aCoK...

"As he rode, Jon peeled off his glove to air his burned fingers. Ugly things. He remembered suddenly how he used to muss Arya's hair ...It made him a little sad to think that he might never muss her hair again. He began to flex his hand, opening and closing the fingers. If he let his sword hand stiffen and grow clumsy, it well might be the end of him, he knew."

aDwD... 1st when he hears of the Boltons with Arya

"Jon flexed the fingers of his sword hand. The Night’s Watch takes no part. He closed his fist and opened it again. What you propose is nothing less than treason. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird’s nest."

and then when he is attacked...

"Jon reached for Longclaw but his fingers had grown stiff and clumsy"

aCoK...

"As he rode, Jon peeled off his glove to air his burned fingers. Ugly things. He remembered suddenly how he used to muss Arya's hair ...It made him a little sad to think that he might never muss her hair again. He began to flex his hand, opening and closing the fingers. If he let his sword hand stiffen and grow clumsy, it well might be the end of him, he knew."

aDwD... 1st when he hears of the Boltons with Arya

"Jon flexed the fingers of his sword hand. The Night’s Watch takes no part. He closed his fist and opened it again. What you propose is nothing less than treason. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird’s nest."

and then when he is attacked...

"Jon reached for Longclaw but his fingers had grown stiff and clumsy"

Wow, great catch.

Brienne

I will find her, my lady, Brienne swore to Lady Catelyn's restless shade. I will never stop looking. I will give up my life if need be, give up my honor, give up all my dreams, but I will find her.

Will she ever find Sansa? I wonder if this vow will be fullfilled or not.

I agree, but I read the games as:

Game 1: Dragon defeats elephants = Dany defeats the Voltanese fleet on it's way to attack her in Meereen right now.

Game 2: Aegon wins most of Westeros because either Jon or Dany is too far away at the moment to stop him. Jon is still at the Wall or Dany is still at sea.

Game 3: Harder to interpret this one. But I actually think it could represent a defeat of Dany. Like the Voltanese and Dothraki turn on her maybe? Or even Aegon and the Golden Company attack and defeat her? The Golden company has elephants and Aegon will probably have many Southron Knights (heavy horse) in his service by the time she gets to Westeros.

I agree with the first 100 percent cause dany will have the kahlasar and drogon to beat the volantese elephants.

But I think that all the games refer to dany, they follow her conquest. In the second I believe she clashes with aegon the mummers dragon. His dragon is far away because he is not a targ.

The third one I think is dany's fall. In the third one I believe she will be betrayed for gold. She was just betrayed for love by Mormont and the harpy dude she married ( forgot his name ). I think her targ insanity gene kicks in or something but I see her dying no matter what. Even if Jon is a half targ and they never meet. In my opinion after she is betrayed I think Euron and the iron born are the ones who put out her flames. Euron has that magic horn and I'm sure he has other knowledge about dragons since he went to old Valyria and onto the shadow lands.

So yeah it's a stretch but I think that Euron gets in on the action. Also it would be ironic since water trumps fire. We'll see though.

Archived