Moments of Foreshadowing

Patchface12

Way back in AGOT, Jon gets attacked by four NW recruits, and that attack serves as a very early foreshadowing of Jon being attacked by four NW members in ADWD.

This could also be Aegon... he did "come back from the dead" in a way. (Even if he is a Blackfyre :P)

This is also an interesting point, because readers know that Renly did not actually come back from the dead---Garlan Tyrell wore Renly's armor and pretended to be Renly. If Aegon is in fact a Blackfyre disguised as a Targaryen, then "Renly" pretending to come back from the dead would foreshadow "Aegon" also pretending to come back from the dead.

If Aegon is in fact a Blackfyre disguised as a Targaryen, then "Renly" pretending to come back from the dead would foreshadow "Aegon" also pretending to come back from the dead.

Foreshadowing of foreshadowing! I kind if like it.

Even at a distance, Ser Jaime Lannister was unmistakable. The moonlight had silvered his armor and the gold of his hair, and turned his crimson cloak to black. AGoT

I wonder if this is foreshadowing or hint on twins=Targs, or nothing...

Even at a distance, Ser Jaime Lannister was unmistakable. The moonlight had silvered his armor and the gold of his hair, and turned his crimson cloak to black. AGoT

I wonder if this is foreshadowing or hint on twins=Targs, or nothing...

Or him joining the NW. Red cloak to black....

When Mormont gave Jon Longclaw in AGoT:

“A sword’s small payment for a life,” Mormont concluded. “Take it, I’ll hear no more of it, is that understood?”

“Yes, my lord.” The soft leather gave beneath Jon’s fingers, as if the sword were molding itself to his grip already. He knew he should be honored, and he was, and yet . . .

He is not my father. The thought leapt unbidden to Jon’s mind. Lord Eddard Stark is my father. I will not forget him, no matter how many swords they give me. Yet he could scarcely tell Lord Mormont that it was another man’s sword he dreamt of . . .

Does this mean Jon will always think of himself as Ned's son even when he sits on the Iron Throne (made from lots of swords) as Rhaegar's boy? :D

I was reading Tyrion chapter from Clash when I came to this:

Littlefinger stroked his beard. “Do you truly mean to send away all your guards, Lannister?”

“No, I mean to send away all my sister’s guards.”

“The queen will never allow that.”

“Oh, I think she may. I am her brother, and when you’ve known me longer, you’ll learn that I mean everything I say.”

“Even the lies?”

Especially the lies. Lord Petyr, I sense that you are unhappy with me.”

“I love you as much as I ever have, my lord. Though I do not relish being played for a fool. If Myrcella weds Trystane Martell, she can scarcely wed Robert Arryn, can she?”

“Not without causing a great scandal,” he admitted. “I regret my little ruse, Lord Petyr, but when we spoke, I could not know the Dornishmen would accept my offer.”

Littlefinger was not appeased. “I do not like being lied to, my lord. Leave me out of your next deception.”

Only if you’ll do the same for me , Tyrion thought, glancing at the dagger sheathed at Littlefinger’s hip. “If I have given offense, I am deeply sorry. All men know how much we love you, my lord. And how much we need you.”

“Try and remember that.” With that Littlefinger left them.

Now Sansa is still married to Tyrion, but LF is planning to marry her to Harry the Heir............

"The Greatjon says that won't matter if we catch him with his breeches down, but it seems to me that a man who has fought as many battles as Tywin Lannister won't be so easily surprised"

-Robb to Catelyn

Nice!

I think Dany's repeated clashes with winesellers might be a hint that Dany will clash with House Redwyne in Westeros. In AGOT, a wineseller tried to poison her (and was dragged naked behind her horse until he died). In ADWD, several Unsullied were poisoned at a wineshop, and Dany allowed the Shavepate to torture the wineseller and his daughters. House Redwyne, of course, is heavily associated with wine, and since we know Dany and winesellers don't mix, perhaps Dany's repeated clashes with winesellers foreshadow House Redwyne screwing Dany over in Westeros.

During the original Dance of the Dragons, two members of the Kingsguard, the twin brothers Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk, fought on opposite sides and ended up killing each other. Paxter Redwyne has twin sons, Ser Horas and Ser Hobber: in AFFC, Taena makes a comment about how "both of them want to join the Kingsguard, just to be near the little queen.” I wonder if Ser Horas and Ser Hobber will end up as this generation's Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk.

In ASOS, Jon remembers Benjen telling him some bits of information about the Watch's history:

... did you know that six hundred years ago, the commanders at Snowgate and the Nightfort went to war against each other? And when the Lord Commander tried to stop them, they joined forces to murder him? The Stark in Winterfell had to take a hand ... and both their heads.

I wonder if this old story parallels the political situation at the Wall vis a vis Eastwatch and the Shadow Tower. The commanders of those two castles have certainly been metaphorically "at war" for a long time. And it's entirely possible that the commanders of those castles have now joined forces to murder their lord commander: at the time of Jon's stabbing, the commander of Eastwatch was Ser Alliser's BFF, someone with an interest in harming Jon. Ser Denys Mallister remained the commander of the Shadow Tower, but there are reasons to wonder if perhaps Ser Denys might have joined the conspirators' plot: he's a snob (so he and Selyse would get on famously, but not so much he and the wildlings), he has very strict notions about how things should be done at the Wall (the whole story of Mance's mended cloak tells us this), and though we never hear his opinion of Jon's reforms in ADWD, it would be in keeping with what we know of him for him to vehemently oppose Jon's pro-wildling plans. Let us not forget how an eagle almost ripped out Jon's eye in ASOS, and the eagle is the sigil of House Mallister.

In a more general sense, the story of the clash between Snowgate and the Nightfort that was ended by the Stark of Winterfell could foreshadow the conflict Jon Snow has with the traditions of the Night's Watch. It could presage a clash between Selyse and Jon (Snowgate is a castle which obviously evokes the name of the current Lord Commander and was renamed because a queen visited it, and the Nightfort is the original seat of the Lord Commander that "Queen" Selyse now claims to rule in place of the Lord Commander); a clash between Melisandre and Morna White Mask (Morna now holds Snowgate/Queensgate and Melisandre could logically flee to Stannis's new seat at the Nightfort, and hey, both women are witches); or even between the Others (snow) and the Watch (the night).

I think Dany's repeated clashes with winesellers might be a hint that Dany will clash with House Redwyne in Westeros. In AGOT, a wineseller tried to poison her (and was dragged naked behind her horse until he died). In ADWD, several Unsullied were poisoned at a wineshop, and Dany allowed the Shavepate to torture the wineseller and his daughters. House Redwyne, of course, is heavily associated with wine, and since we know Dany and winesellers don't mix, perhaps Dany's repeated clashes with winesellers foreshadow House Redwyne screwing Dany over in Westeros.

The Dornish are also heavily associated with wine production ... :D

I just came across what i believe is a kind of ironic foreshadowing in one of the early chapters in aGoT (in one of Ned's early POV chapters). It was at the point where he has to put Lady to death, Ned says "The Lannister woman shall never have this skin". If you think of his death later on you may think of this as sad irony. This is just my opinion, thought I'd share! ^_^

I just came across what i believe is a kind of ironic foreshadowing in one of the early chapters in aGoT (in one of Ned's early POV chapters). It was at the point where he has to put Lady to death, Ned says "The Lannister woman shall never have this skin". If you think of his death later on you may think of this as sad irony. This is just my opinion, thought I'd share! ^_^

Alternatively I think you can also view at as Cersei never having Sansa's "skin," or ownership of Sansa.

The Dornish are also heavily associated with wine production ... :D

And Quentyn et. al. were masquerading as wine merchants on their way to Meereen, another connection. On the other hand, wine is mostly what everyone drinks, so these associations could be random. It's not like we're ever seeing anyone tucking into a large chai latte at a banquet...

From Dany's first chapter in Storm of Swords:

I am still half a world from Westeros... She tried to imagine what it would feel like, when she first caught sight of the land she was born to rule. It will be as fair a shore as I have ever seen, I know it. How could it be otherwise?

WESTOROS IS DOOMED, YA'LL.

Archived