Moments of Foreshadowing

Patchface12

It is before he falls, and that's a good point and the most obvious explanation, one I didn't consider probably because of the chronology of the parallelism in the chapter, Bran remembers Old Nan's story after a mass of information regarding his climbing that foreshadows his greenseeing.

Dany says to Jorah before hatching the dragons:

“Ser Jorah Mormont,” she said, “first and greatest of my knights, I have no bride gift to give you, but I swear to you, one day you shall have from my hands a longsword like none the world has ever seen, dragon-forged and made of Valyrian steel. And I would ask for your oath as well.”

Seems to foreshadow something that hasn't happened yet.

For pure fun speculation...

“Burnt,” said Salladhor Saan, “and be glad of that, my friend. Do you know the tale of the forging of Lightbringer? I shall tell it to you. It was a time when darkness lay heavy on the world. To oppose it, the hero must have a hero’s blade, oh, like none that had ever been.

Ser Jorah Mormont is Fucking Azhor Ahai.... NO one has seen this Yet.... He is the Azhor Ahai !

And One Dragon will be sacrificed !

From ADWD p.647

" 'R'hllor', sang Melisandre, her arms upraised against the falling snow"

Possibly forshadowing Mel's attempt to save Jon by using red sorcery.

I think this could be a hint that Melisandre will end up opposed to Jon. Our only POV from Melisandre came somewhat early in ADWD, and we never saw her reaction to most of Jon's major rulership choices (letting the wildlings through without swearing to Stannis or R'hllor, for example). She's not raising her arms to the snow, or for the snow, or with the snow---she's raising her arms against the snow. And the "falling snow" could reference Jon's stabbing.

"When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king."

Foreshadowing Tyrion's brief rise to power as Joffrey's Hand? Or maybe something later that we haven't seen yet?

isn't there also a time where varys says something like this as well? a lot of people say this foreshadows tyrion becoming king but while he's grrm's favorite, i can't see how this could come about.

to go from kinslayer to king is quite a leap.

isn't there also a time where varys says something like this as well? a lot of people say this foreshadows tyrion becoming king but while he's grrm's favorite, i can't see how this could come about.

to go from kinslayer to king is quite a leap.

Well, Tyrion is Tywin's son, and Tywin as Hand was pretty much the real ruler in Aerys' time. He will not be king, but acting as one? Pretty likely IMO.

I think it's rather a connection to Mel's shadow baby, or some sort of shadow magic. Tyrion may create the most powerful one ever seen.

what are you basing that on? tyrion hasn't ever made any move toward magic nor has he been approached or influenced by it.

what are you basing that on? tyrion hasn't ever made any move toward magic nor has he been approached or influenced by it.

Well we have to wait and see. But I think Tyrion's story is only becoming darker. Every time I hear things about him casting a large shadow, I think of Stannis' shadow killing Renly. That is why it is foreshadowing, it clues into events in the future.

Ser Jorah Mormont is Fucking Azhor Ahai.... NO one has seen this Yet.... He is the Azhor Ahai !

And One Dragon will be sacrificed !

If Apple Martini's theory about the NW being Lightbringer is right, and Jon can no longer be LC for some reason, Jorah might end up in that role. His father did ask Sam to tell him to join. Of course there is no literal sword then and how Dany will "give" him the NW has so many interesting possibilities.

If it is a literal sword and a literal human sacrifice, Jorah killing Dany strikes me as the most likely and most interesting story with potential to evolve to that eventual outcome compared to any other candidates out there.

The "

longsword like none the world has ever seen, dragon-forged and made of Valyrian steel." could be Longclaw. It is Valyrian steel, which is probably dragon-forged anyway, and Jorah already wanted to have it anyway.

Tyrion at Joffrey's wedding:

Tyrion shifted his weight uncomfortably from one foot to the other. He could not stand still. Too much wine. He should have thought to relieve himself before they set out from the Red Keep. The sleepless night he'd spent with Shae was making itself felt too, but most of all he wanted to strangle his bloody royal nephew.

"I wish I had a good mean dog" Arya said wistfully. "A lion-killing dog."

Oh, you're going to get a dog soon enough, Arya. And, if his story isn't over yet, he may just kill some lions for you.

I think Bloodraven calling Jon king means that he intends for Jon to be a king. Jon isn't a king while in the NW. When BR first says it Jon thinks that the crow intends for Jeor Mormont to have a crown but the crow kept looking at him.

Anyways this was foreshadowing in ACoK:

"If I had wings...I'd just fly away, fly up past the moon and the shining stars, and see all the things in Old Nan's stories, dragons and seamonsters and the Titan of Braavos, and maybe I wouldn't ever fly back unless I wanted to."

Arya saw the Titan of Braavos in AFFC but she still has yet to encounter dragons and sea monsters (kraken/Greyjoy?).

Regarding Arya, sea monsters and dragons:

When Arya and Sandor cross the trident they use a ferry called 'the two headed water horse' (it's a wooden boat with a horse head at each end and a hut with a fire in the middle), cost of passage is three dragons and part of the way across they need to fend off an uprooted tree that Arya thinks looks like a kraken. It's just before the red wedding if anyone wants to read the chapter, and it's a very short chapter.

When Sandor describes the ferry Arya reflects that she's never heard of a horse that can run on water - an echo of Ned: 'I'll fear the Dothraki when they teach their horses to run on water'.

Incidentally, the three passengers are all representatives of Death. Sandor's horse, Stranger; Sandor, the killer/gravedigger; and Arya, the faceless assassin.

Also, when Arya boards the ferry she is mistaken for Sandor's son - faceless?

I'd be interested if amyone thinks Arya/Dany/Dothraki on a boat vs a kraken/ironborn is a possibility?

This isn't foreshadowing but when Sandor and Arya are at the inn and one of the men remarks on Sansa's beauty, Sandor says

'and pretty too, not like her bloody sister'

Nice reflection of Sansa 'courtesy is a lady's armour' vs Arya 'stick 'em wth pointy end'.

BTW I'm new, so I don't know how to quote or do anything properly...

Archived