Moments of Foreshadowing

Patchface12

And Quentyn et. al. were masquerading as wine merchants on their way to Meereen, another connection. On the other hand, wine is mostly what everyone drinks, so these associations could be random. It's not like we're ever seeing anyone tucking into a large chai latte at a banquet...

Drinks, yes. But sells? That's something else entirely. And sellers of wine have been associated with pretty huge (and negative) turning points in Dany's life: the assassination attempt that caused Drogo to switch gears and seek to invade Westeros (setting into motion the chain of events that led to his death); Dany allowing the torture of Meereenese "smallfolk", with the wineseller as the first victim she allows the Shavepate to torture; Quentyn, who pretended to be a wine merchant, will probably be the catalyst for Dany's failure to ever control Dorne. In every instance, the "wine seller" initially seems to be on Dany's side (the wineseller that tried to poison her pretended to be honoring her for being a Targaryen, Quentyn wanted to marry her, and I doubt the Unsullied would have been drinking in that particular wineseller's establishment if they didn't consider it a pro-Dany place), but then, intentionally or unintentionally, the "wine seller" always ends up catalyzing some form of harm to Dany.

I thought specifically of House Redwyne because, in Dany's very first chapter in AGOT, Viserys lists for her the nobility that he believes will support a Targaryen restoration:

Tyrell, Redwyne, Darry, Greyjoy, they have no more love for the Usurper than I do. The Dornishmen burn to avenge Elia and her children.

Before AFFC, I thought that was just a random list meant to show Viserys's ignorance---after all, why on earth would the Greyjoys of all people support the Targs? They do hate the Baratheons, but that's because they hate everybody. But given that the Greyjoys (and the Dornishmen) have now actively sought out Dany for an alliance, and both groups seem likely to screw her over (intentionally on the Dornishmen's part, unintentionally on the Greyjoys' part), I now think this list might be a very early hint as to the Westerosi that will 1) initially appear pro-Dany but 2) will end up screwing Dany over. (I mean, House Darry is basically now House Frey, since every remaining Darry is either married to, or a daughter of, a Frey, so allying with "House Darry" would be poisonous to any conquest---and House Tyrell, of course, is controlled by Mace, an idiot.)

Wine is the chief export of the Arbor, it's presumably the main source of House Redwyne's income (hence, them being glorified "winesellers"), and House Redwyne's sigil is even a cluster of grapes. Dorne exports wine, but I can't remember any specific Dornish House being associated with the sale of wine. (Does anyone else know of one?) That could simply be a hint that all of Dorne, not just a single House, will be trying to poison the shit out of Dany. Though I don't see any reason why Dany can't get screwed over by both House Redwyne and the entire nation of Dorne. :)

@tze

2) will end up screwing Dany over. (I mean, House

Darry is basically now House Frey, since every

remaining Darry is either married to, or a daughter of,

a Frey, so allying with "House Darry" would be

poisonous to any conquest

How true,and how very scary.

But,I think this is the moment where House of Undying vision of the wolf man comes to fore ;) She'll know that justice is not on the Frey's side

She is not a thinker,no. But,she still acts on intuition,raw energy,but it keeps her moving,the pyre,the moment when Quentyn came and she paused to ask about his coat of arms... She is influenced by magic,so there is hope. Especially if she remembers that wolf man was sad,with appeal in his eyes. And,we have Baristan. He'd be appalled

She is not a thinker,no. But,she still acts on intuition,raw energy,but it keeps her moving,the pyre,the moment when Quentyn came and she paused to ask about his coat of arms... She is influenced by magic,so there is hope. Especially if she remembers that wolf man was sad,with appeal in his eyes. And,we have Baristan. He'd be appalled

I'd say that if she finds out what the Freys did, she wouldn't need the House of the Undying vision to know to ditch them. It'd be superfluous. I think that vision was there more for our benefit as readers than for hers.

"She is not a thinker, no." Always with the understatements. :P

Don't have an exact quote on this one from ACOK:

When Varys sneaks Tyrion through the passage in Alayaya's (sp?) room, he comments on how it was used by a former Hand who frequented whores, but his honor forced him to keep it a secret.

I'd say that if she finds out what the Freys did, she wouldn't need the House of the Undying vision to know to ditch them. It'd be superfluous. I think that vision was there more for our benefit as readers than for hers.

She wants allies,she thinks she needs them. It is also stupid to trust sellswords...

"She is not a thinker, no." Always with the understatements. :P

This is Dany http://m.9gag.com/gag/4427960

In GoT, when Jon goes to say goodbye to a comatose Bran, he thinks to himself that Bran's hands look like claws, with fingers like bird's bones, and that he looks "half a leaf." Of course, later Bran finds his strength and taps into both birds and trees.

Jon moved to the map. Candles had been placed at its corners to keep the hide from rolling up. A finger of warm wax was puddling out across the Bay of Seals, slow as a glacier.

Could this mean something?

Also from the same chapter:

The brusque dismissal did not sit well with Justin Massey, but he had no choice but to smile and withdraw. Horpe followed him out, after giving Jon a measured look. Clayton Suggs drained his cup dry and muttered something to Harwood Fell that made the younger man laugh. Boy was part of it. Suggs was an upjumped hedge knight, as crude as he was strong. The last man to take his leave was Rattleshirt. At the door, he gave Jon a mocking bow, grinning through a mouthful of brown and broken teeth.

Now some spoilers from the Winds

[]We've already seen this to happen. After Tycho arrived Massey got the order to leave from Stannis. He had no choice and was not happy about it.

[]Horpe will be next to leave Stannis, he may change his allegiance to Jon.

[]Drining his cup dry, may mean something like eating the meal you cooked, meaning that Suggs will be burned. Boy may mean something do do with Rickon or maybe Edric Storm.

[]Stannis and Mance will probably become allies for some time, but then not surprisingly Mance will acknowledge Jon's authority over Stannis', though a mocking part may mean another betrayal.

I think this is probably the optimum outcome. :)

Quentyn's marriage proposal may even foreshadow Dany's attempted alliance with Aegon. "Sorry, I already agreed to marry this nice woman Arianne. You came too late." If the rest holds true you'll even get your Dany is not immune to fire text citation.

Dany says to Jorah before hatching the dragons:

“Ser Jorah Mormont,” she said, “first and greatest of my knights, I have no bride gift to give you, but I swear to you, one day you shall have from my hands a longsword like none the world has ever seen, dragon-forged and made of Valyrian steel. And I would ask for your oath as well.”

Seems to foreshadow something that hasn't happened yet.

For pure fun speculation...

“Burnt,” said Salladhor Saan, “and be glad of that, my friend. Do you know the tale of the forging of Lightbringer? I shall tell it to you. It was a time when darkness lay heavy on the world. To oppose it, the hero must have a hero’s blade, oh, like none that had ever been.

Just after Donel Noye tells Jon that the Wall is his, Jon thinks to himself that he wishes he had 20 trebuchets instead of two and then he thinks:

"It was a futile thought. He might as well wish for another thousand men, and maybe a dragon or three."

There's also the conversation between Mormont and Jon where Mormont asks Jon if he has a horse with wings, and says it's a pity he doesn't because they could use a horse like that. I think both instances are more about humour than foreshadowing though. There's a few instances between Mormont and Jon like this, as when Mormont asks Jon when he was thinking of running off to join the war why he thinks he's so important and does he carry a grumpkin in his pocket to magic up his sword. Obvious inferences to his parentage and the possibility he is AA.

From GOT

Old Nan told him a story about a bad little boy who climbed too high and was struck down by lightning, and how afterward the crows came to peck out his eyes

I think this is foreshadowing. It comes from Old Nan who is seemingly an impeccable source on all things and follows many passages in which Bran's greenseeing is foreshadowed by his climbing. Loosely it appears to imply Bran will overeach with his powers and suffer ill as a consequence.

Climbing too high might mean revealing his ability in front of people, like in an attempt to save Theon perhaps. Or maybe it refers to his warging of Hodor and/or more people.

What being struck down by lightning could mean is his first death as a warg, the ADWD prologue conspiculously provides much detail on this and I'd be surprised if it wasn't for some significant reason. Perhaps Bran will be shot down by Mel the same way as Varamyr, or the lightning may symbolise the Lord of the Stormlands (Stannis) or the Stormborn (Dany). House Dondarrion seems a non factor at this point.

The crows pecking out his eyes I think refers to the NW turning on Bran or what they know of the old gods. Possibly urged on by Mel, I think they're going to destroy a heart tree or trees.

As an aside, this is the same chapter Bran thinks about the story where Ned says he's not his son but a squirrel. Arya is described as a squirrel repeatedly, possibly suggesting he'll warg her, I think there's an instance where Meera is as well, but more likely the squirrel reference is foreshadowing his relationship with the COTF who the giants call the squirrel people.

There's also the conversation between Mormont and Jon where Mormont asks Jon if he has a horse with wings, and says it's a pity he doesn't because they could use a horse like that. I think both instances are more about humour than foreshadowing though. There's a few instances between Mormont and Jon like this, as when Mormont asks Jon when he was thinking of running off to join the war why he thinks he's so important and does he carry a grumpkin in his pocket to magic up his sword. Obvious inferences to his parentage and the possibility he is AA.

From GOT

I think this is foreshadowing. It comes from Old Nan who is seemingly an impeccable source on all things and follows many passages in which Bran's greenseeing is foreshadowed by his climbing. Loosely it appears to imply Bran will overeach with his powers and suffer ill as a consequence.

Climbing too high might mean revealing his ability in front of people, like in an attempt to save Theon perhaps. Or maybe it refers to his warging of Hodor and/or more people.

What being struck down by lightning could mean is his first death as a warg, the ADWD prologue conspiculously provides much detail on this and I'd be surprised if it wasn't for some significant reason. Perhaps Bran will be shot down by Mel the same way as Varamyr, or the lightning may symbolise the Lord of the Stormlands (Stannis) or the Stormborn (Dany). House Dondarrion seems a non factor at this point.

The crows pecking out his eyes I think refers to the NW turning on Bran or what they know of the old gods. Possibly urged on by Mel, I think they're going to destroy a heart tree or trees.

As an aside, this is the same chapter Bran thinks about the story where Ned says he's not his son but a squirrel. Arya is described as a squirrel repeatedly, possibly suggesting he'll warg her, I think there's an instance where Meera is as well, but more likely the squirrel reference is foreshadowing his relationship with the COTF who the giants call the squirrel people.

When does Old Nan say that? If it is before the fall, it could simply foreshadow how the fall was needed to open his third eye. Bran has dreams of falling where the three-eyed crow is saying fly or die and pecks out his eyes, then a spot on his forehead for his third eye.

Archived