Ned Stark

Brienne of Tarth

Maester Aemon

Maester Luwin

Robb Stark

Barristan Selmy

Donal Noyle

Maege Mormont

Does Ser Arthur Dayne counts? Because I don't think anybody said anything about him that wasn't complimentary, which makes me believe he also was a good guy.

Tyrion saved King's Landing from defeat, and yet everyone from KL still hates him because of his stupid sister.

That itself should be the reason why he should be in the list.

Well, it was 'crazy' Cersei's idea for wildfire, so she should share a lot of the credit for the saving.

Tyrion saved King's Landing from defeat, and yet everyone from KL still hates him because of his stupid sister.

Or maybe they hate him because the men he brought into the city have been raping and stealing without ever being punished. Or because he gave Joffrey the Antler Men to torture to keep him off his back without even bothering to give them a trial first. Just a thought.

Tywin played just as big a part in saving the city by leading the army which crushed Stannis. Was he a good man too? What about LF who arranged the alliance with the Tyrells and came up with the "Ghost of Renly" idea? Guess he should be on the list too...

None of that is evidence of Tyrion being a good person, it is only evidence that he is an effective administrator/stratergist and that his public image is not good.

I don't think of Tyrion as an evil character and I sympathise with a lot of what he goes through, but I would not consider him to be a truly good person.

Can good people do bad things or bad people do good things? Does one bad act destroy "good" forever? Does one good act redemn? Can a bad person become good? Vice-versa?

Davos may have done bad things in the past but he sure seems to a good person now. Is Catelyn a bad person for saying one thing to Jon?

Just something to think about.

Can good people do bad things or bad people do good things? Does one bad act destroy "good" forever? Does one good act redemn? Can a bad person become good? Vice-versa?

Davos may have done bad things in the past but he sure seems to a good person now. Is Catelyn a bad person for saying one thing to Jon?

Catelyn's a bad person for going around the countryside murdering people, and causing a war which devastated most of the country.

Davos may have done bad things in the past but he sure seems to a good person now.

Davos is a good person because he is humble, honest, kind and loyal. I also don't think that he was ever a bad person even in his smuggling days, Westeros doesn't have slavery so it's not like he was smuggling people, and he wasn't a pirate who was stealing from people, all he was doing was transporting cargo. And Davos does not seem like the kind of guy who would be involved in smuggling people into slavery even if it was practiced in Westeros.

I would say Brienne except she's about to get Jaime hung, when he helped her in her quest.

Well, we do not really know what she is about to do now. I would count her among the good characters.

Catelyn's a bad person for going around the countryside murdering people, and causing a war which devastated most of the country.

1. Catelyn started no war.

2. Lady Stoneheart is not the same person as Catelyn Stark.

Agree with the ones saying that children cannot be counted.

If you are not very strict there are actually a lot of them

Septon Meribald

Davos Seaworth

Eddard Stark

Penny

Brienne of Tarth

Jon Snow

Gilly

Maester Luwin

Missandei

Maester Aemon

Maester Cressen

Syrio

Qhorin Halfhand

Yoren

Jeor Mormont

Samwell Tarly

Meera Reed

Jojen Reed

Hodor

Myrcella Lannister

Tommen Lannister

Beric Dodarion

Jeyne Westerling

Bran Stark

Donal Noyle

Dolorous Edd

Podric Payne

Gendry

Edric Storm

Jeyne poole

Jaehaerys I Targaryen

Mycah

Mormont ladies

Mance Rayder

Sam's mother

Wylla Manderly

Mirri Mur Dur (I consider her actions to be good actions so she is not even a gray one for me)

Ygrite

Sansa

Edmure Tully

Catelyn Tully (before becoming Stoneheart)

Robb Stark

Quentyn Martell

Blackfish

GOT and COK Arya and perhaps even SOS Arya

GOT Tyrion Lannister

Barristan

Arhur Dayne

Arys Oakheart

Balon Swann

There are probably more too.

I think it's already a good start when "good" people don't go around telling everyone how good they are. Davos, who's one of the best people in Westeros right now, thinks of himself as having done both good and bad things. Tyrion, whose morality is much more debatable, generally seems to think of himself as a good guy who's wrongly treated by the stupid people of King's Landing. It never once occurs to him that they'd resent him because the Mountain Men have been killing and raping in the city, or because he burned their houses without really telling them why.

"Are you a good man, Davos Seaworth ?" she asked.

Would a good man be doing this ? "I am a man," he said. "I am kind to my wife, but I have known other women. I have tried to be a father to my sons, to help make them a place in this world. Aye, I've broken laws, but I never felt evil until tonight. I would say my parts are mixed, m'lady. Good and bad"

1 The Hand of The Queen, Ser Barristan The Bold, The Mystery Knight

Considered by many to be one of the greatest and most honourable knights in the realm. Forsook his love for duty, donned the armour of he Mystery Knight at the age of only ten, he then lived his life as a true knight, knighted at sixteen by Aegon V, later becoming the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. He fought valiantly slaying numerous enemies of the Crown. Considerable so honourable that the Usurper saved his life after he had killed many of his men, making him his own Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. He serves with bravery and follows the Knight's code. He will "die a knight" and the World of A Song of Ice and Fire will rue his passing.

2 The Maid of Tarth, Brienne "The Beauty" of House Tarth

After failing to save the man she loved she travels Westeros on a seemingly unending mission to protect the innocent, as her suspected ancestor Duncan the Tall did before her. The truest knight in the series, though she is a woman who faced cruelty at the hands of strangers for the majority of her life, she has an unwavering moral centre unmatched by no one in the series.

3 Maester Aemon Targaryen, Sworn Brother of The Night's Watch

Once the rightful heir to the Iron throne, he passed it over through a sense of duty and honour, forsaking his claim and offering to spend the remainder of his life at The Wall. He corresponded with Rhaegar and helped him grow into a Prince Westeros would have worshipped. Abstaining from the politics of the South he lived in silence whilst his old House crumbled away and died dreaming of dragons.

4 Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Lord Paramount of the North, and Warden of The North.

May anyone who doubts the honour of Lord Ned be struck from their horse and have Arya go to town on them. He died as he lived, with honour. Though it may have clouded his judgement and ultimately led to his downfall, the love for his family was unquestionable. He kept the last promise of his beloved sister and took it to his grave, he raised six good and honest children and held the loyalty of the North seemingly without question. Dutiful, loyal and beloved, he is the beacon of all that is honourable in the series

5 Prince Rhaegar Targaryen "The Last Dragon", Prince of Dragonstone, of House Targaryen

Had he lived to become King he "would have been better then all three [Aerys, Tywin and Robert] combined." Revered even today by his enemies, loved by the smallfolk, brave, thoughtful, Rhaegar's only downfall was a woman, he died for love.

6 Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Ser Duncan "Dunk" The Tall

The epitome of a true knight, he was instrumental in training one of the greatest Kings in the history of Westeros. Originally a nobody from Fleabottom, he had the heir to The Kingdoms named after him, 'good' doesn't even begin to describe Dunk.

7 Prince Oberyn "The Red Viper" of House Martell

Though he may be considered morally ambivalent, he ultimately redeems himself on his deathbed, serving sweet, sweet justice for the brutal raping and killing of his sister and her children. Not to mention the flood of awesome that he has produced from his loins. He loved his sister more than he loved life its-self.

8 Lord Commander of The KIngsguard, Ser Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister, Warden of The East

Has anyone in fiction gone from the most hated character in the series to one of the most revered, The Kingslayer is, like Rhaegar, the perfect knight, whose only downfall is the love for a (wrong) woman. His redemption, in story and IRL is one of the most masterful story arcs of all time.

9 Hand of the King, Lord Jon "Griff" Connington, Lord of Griffin's Roost, of House Connington

Another man led by love. His unrequited love for Rhaegar is one of the sweetest in the series. So much so that he would follow his dear deceased's son in battle, and will eventually die of an incurable disease. A tragic hero.

10 Lord Commander of The Night's Watch, Jeor "Old Bear" Mormont

I have nothing but love for The Old Bear, gave up his title for his son, served the realm with more loyalty than perhaps anyone else alive and mentored my man, Jon Snow.

Notable Mentions:

Lord Howland Reed of Greywater Watch

Ser Gendry "The Bull" of Hollow Hill

Samwell "The Slayer" Tarly, Sworn brother of The Night's Watch

Meera Reed of House Reed and Jojen Reed of House Reed (It takes a special type of metal to leave your family and go to your certain death miles from home, and these are children.)

King in the North, King of the Trident, Lord of Winterfell, Robb "The Young Wolf" Stark, of House Stark (Truly his father's son, brought down by the love of a girl.)

Theon Greyjoy, of House Greyjoy (As one of only a few Theon sympathisers out there, I propose that Theon is different from Reek, Theon was raised by the Starks and it was when Reek became Theon that he finally began to redeem himself)

First Ranger, Benjen Stark, Sworn Brother of The Night's Watch

Lord Commander of The Night's Watch, Jon Snow, The Bastard of Winterfell (and his is the Song of Ice and Fire)

Jaime is a terrible person, it's ridiculous to mention him in this thread. Crippling Bran, slaughtering Ned's men just to send a message, searching for Arya intending to kill her, the trebuchet threat on Roslyn...

He's only the perfect knight if you subscribe to the Hound's view that knights are trained killers and everything else is lies (and even this doesn't work anymore since he lost his sword hand).

5 Prince Rhaegar Targaryen "The Last Dragon", Prince of Dragonstone, of House Targaryen

Had he lived to become King he "would have been better then all three [Aerys, Tywin and Robert] combined." Revered even today by his enemies, loved by the smallfolk, brave, thoughtful, Rhaegar's only downfall was a woman, he died for love.

I think the fact that Rhaegar ran off wit Lyanna despite him being married and her being betrothed, and he didn't even attempt to explain the situation to anybody is a sign of just what kind of king he would have made.

As for being loved by his enemies, well Robert still hated him with passion after 17 years, and if Ned didn't know the truth and Rhaegar and Lyanna, it's highly liekly that he would still hate him as well in the way the Oberyn and Doran hate the Lannisters.

Rhaegar didn't "die for love", he died because of his own lack of understanding of the political reprecussions of his actions. Instead of ever attemping to explain the situation he rode off to war and tried to kill Robert.

As Barristan Selmy would say,, he has definite signs of "the taint".

Archived