Maester Cressen

Septon Meribald

The Elder Brother

The Dwarf Septon

Septa Mordane

Ned Stark

Sam Tarly

Brienne of Tarth.

I didn't include children or anybody with disabilities because under a certain age and someone with developmental problems can't really be bad. There are some children who are exceptions to this in the real life and in there series but for the most part I think it's true.

Eddard Stark

Baristan Selmy

Jon Snow

Samwell Tarly

Beric Dondarrion

Robb Stark

Bran Stark

Dacey Mormont

Brynden Tully

Maester Luwin & Aemon

Jon Arryn

Stannis Baratheon (before melisandre)

Jamie Lannister (Prior to Robert taking the throne he sounded like a true knight, branding him kingslayer made him change)

Arthur Dayne

Doran Martell

Davos Seaworth (has more honour than most knights, and more wits)

The Reeds

More than 10 but meh, could have put more if i wanted.

• 4 weeks later...

Joer Mormont

Ned Stark

Robb Stark

Jon Arryn

Davos Seaworth

Tyrion Lannister

Maester Luwin

Rodrik Cassel

Barristan Selmy

Beric Dondarrion

Name one person who shouldn't be on there. I dare you.

Tyrion I love him but in ADwD he's changed

Ramsay Bolton.

Roose Bolton.

King Joffrey Baratheon of the House Baratheon, first of his name, lord of the Andals and protecter of the Realm.

Euron Greyjoy.

Twyin Lannister.

Gregor Clegane.

Khal Drogo.

Viserys Targaryen of the House Targaryen, Protector of the Realm, Lord of the Andals and 4th of his name.

Walder Frey(Old one).

All are severly misunderstood.

Here are my candidates.

1. Beric Dondarrion

2. Edmure Tully. (Too many noblemen and -women don't give a shit about smallfolk. He did.)

3. Catelyn Stark. (For having empathy and trying to give good advice when others hungered for more battle.)

4. Ned Stark. (Good husband and father, honorable lord and a decent human being. Too bad this is Westeros we're talkin about.)

5. Davos Seaworth. (Loyalty. What more do you need to tell about him?)

6. Septon Meribald

7. Brienne. (A true knight.)

8. The Reed kids.

9. Samwell Tarly. (A good friend and courageous. Far better son than lord Tarly deserved.)

10.Maester Luwin

These are the 10 people who stand out to me as people that I would consider truly good people. In no particualr order:

Ned Stark

Davos Seaworth

Thoros of Myr

Ellaria Sand

Brienne

Maester Luwin

Maester Cressen

Edmure Tully

Dolorus Edd

Samwell Tarly

:agree: I'd only add the two Reeds.

Ramsay Bolton.

Roose Bolton.

King Joffrey Baratheon of the House Baratheon, first of his name, lord of the Andals and protecter of the Realm.

Euron Greyjoy.

Twyin Lannister.

Gregor Clegane.

Khal Drogo.

Viserys Targaryen of the House Targaryen, Protector of the Realm, Lord of the Andals and 4th of his name.

Walder Frey(Old one).

All are severly misunderstood.

You missed Victarion. He killed his wife out of affection, so that she may live eternally in the lands of the Drowned God or whatever. And Aerys Targareyn. He burned people alive to spare them the pain of human life

Other than that :thumbsup:

So there are good men and bad men among the characters, of course not in the black and white meaning, but browsing the net I keep bumping into different theories that suggest funny things. For instance there's a character who is presented as a really good man (with one mistake or a one weakness), but other characters speak highly of him and for some reason fandom just demonizes him.

Question is, which 10 characters would you declare as a good man or a good woman?

You know, there are people of whom you just say He's a good man. In this meaning. I'm just curious.

The reason your question is awesome: one of the great things about GRRM is how difficult he makes it to answer a question like this in a simple way, by creating these complex characters.

So, you have Jaime, who impulsively attempts to kill a child (child killing being one of the clearest moral lines drawn by many in the ASoIaF world. And a line you can pretty much get most people to support).

Yet Jaime, in other circumstances, makes ethical choices that are almost astonishingly beyond most other characters (I'll spare you an essay of examples here and just focus on the quality of his love).

Even Davos, whose struggle to be a good man is almost painful to watch, can't manage to be true and faithful to the wife he loves and respects. While Jaime is utterly true to his incestuous love.

Sure, Davos has sexual needs while he's at sea. But Jaime has made life choices in order to stay close to Cersei. (I love Cersei's description of Jaime's refusal to be kept away from her side during childbirth). His love for her is not small or incidental, he has made it central. Not something that can be said for many other characters

Despite the twisted nature of their brother/sister thing, Cersei's flaws, and the dark business of Kings Landing, etc...there's something sweet and noble and rare about Jaime's devotion.

Then you have characters like Ned Stark, who are hella good guys at first glance. But Ned's insistence on following a predetermined code of honor, without acknowledging that those around him do not, and his refusal to evaluate and respond to the more complex ethical imperatives in his situation...seems irresponsible and self indulgent, especially since he had children who desperately needed his protection. I find myself blaming Ned, and sometimes Catelyn, for the terrible and vulnerable situations their children find themselves in. Almost as much as I blame the "bad guys."

I think Brienne does a generally better job really doing the hard work of figuring out what's the right thing to do in each situation, while pursuing a notion of honor that's similar to Ned's. She comes closer to the spirit of honor.

Then there are the differing moral standards GRRM leads you to apply to characters. For example, I expect Tyrion to be able to suss out the moral nuances of a situation where others couldn't. When Tyrion went ahead and had sex with the prostitute in Volantis, who, even in his addled state, he could see was afraid, agitated, confused, and apparently unable to communicate...I was very troubled, because I expect more of him in this arena. Tyrion is capable of seeing that this was possibly not a consensual encounter, despite the brothel context. Whereas with another male character, say Theon--I'd never hold a Theon to those standards. He wouldn't have the perspective or insight to make that distinction.

And speaking of Theon, and the goodness and badness of characters--how powerful was his redemption when he undertook a brave act for another, after he'd been all but stripped of his humanity (and important bits of skin)? Despite all his previous despicable acts. That moment is killer moving. You know it's true.

And there's Dany. She uses what power and leadership she has to take a sweeping, astounding stand against slavery. Just because it's wrong. Nobody else is taking an active moral stance this. Nobody. That makes her pretty damn "good" in my opinion.

Of course, she doesn't have a clear plan, and it goes horribly wrong a lot (that'll happen when you try to take down the mainstay of much of the world's rich and powerful people) and innocents suffer. She gets listless and silly and distracted and unsure. She backslides, she makes poor decisions. GRRM seems to chip away at her morally awesome stand until many readers want her to give up on the slavery thing already, and just refocus on heading to Westeros with her dragons for the originally scheduled badassery.

Do I really want her to abandon her fight against slavery (which has been partially successful) to take the iron throne? Is that Dany's moral imperative?

GRRM gleefully leads me in to bad behavior, too. I totally cheer Manderly's sweet Frey pie revenge. But I'm cheering the murder of potential innocents who were further made into a meal and fed to their family. When Stannis burns those starving men for eating human corpses, soon after, it's a bit of an ethical nudge.

When it comes to any attempt to settle comfortably on a character being good or bad, GRRM bats me around like a cat with a ball, and I love it!

Your question is awesome because the answers are complex, and we've got so many layers to work with in order to make a case for, or even get into a fight about, our "good" character choices.

Here's ten (more North to South than best to worst)

Qhorin

Squire Dalbridge

Old Bear

Maester Aemon

Ned

Maester Luwin

Beric Dondarrion

Elder Brother

Septon Meribald

Pod Payne

10 good men, 7 or 8 dead. Shitty world.

I picture GRRM sitting on his porch, mournfully shaking his head: "they are able to come up with different lists of ten characters that can be called good?! I must have made some serious mistakes!"

Goes in, sits down at his keyboard and kills off some protagonists.

• 6 months later...

I picture GRRM sitting on his porch, mournfully shaking his head: "they are able to come up with different lists of ten characters that can be called good?! I must have made some serious mistakes!"

Goes in, sits down at his keyboard and kills off some protagonists.

Every time this happens he gratuitously kills a Stark.

Stannis, Kevan, Dolorious Ed, Ned, Robb, Beric, Cressen, Doran, Hodor, Moon boy

Stannis?!?

Stannis who used black magic to murder his own brother and allows human sacrifice? Stannis?

Kevan!?!

Kevan, who was the right hand of barbarism, helping to implement Tywin Lannister's despicable policies?

Archived