Patchface Prophesies

Remember that anything Patchface says/sings that DOESN'T begin with "under the sea" is far easier to tie to specific events in the books than the "under the sea" stuff. That leads me to think that "Under the sea" means far less.

Maybe Mel just missed her shot. She couldn't just show up the first day and say kill the Fool he is evil, I mean, he's been hanging out with Shireen since she was born. And then, what reason once she has ingratiated herself? I doubt she's done more than hint to the Queen, who is an obtuse piece of work that makes Cersei look normal.

maybe when patchface says "we" he's referring to the targaryen host that Dany will be leading(if it is to be believed that he's of some targaryen descent), announced by mermen with horns could easily be victarion and his crew with the crazy dragon horn, i honestly just don't see manderly being a part of one of his prophecies, but obviously as always i could be wrong...i really like this though, i hope that patchface is more than he seems...after reading the dunk and egg stories and getting more familiar with the blackfyre rebellion it made me start thinking that there could be more targaryen descendants(bastard born or not) in Essos than we've been originially led to believe.

For not having any POV chapters and very little dialogue or mentions, Patchface, to me, is the most intriguing and terrifying character that I can think of. He seems to predict (in his barely-coherent ramblings) the fates of many characters as well as major events. Especially after Melisandre says that he scares her whenever she sees him in her fires.

Mais non, mademoiselle! Pas de snark, jamais!

Honest! I meant no snarketry at all.

I very much liked your reading of Patches’ jingle. I hadn’t ever thought about the relationship between the starfish, the five-pointed star that is the human hand, and (Ser-now-)Lord Davos’s appointment as Stannis’s Hand. Hm, but now that you mention it, can’t the starfish regrow a severed limb? I wonder how that relates to Davos’s own apocopated digits. Curious question, eh?

Neither had I paid enough attention to the arms of House Borrell and how those might relate here, although those of House Manderly I had indeed noted.

I just saw this in the book and wondered if the starfish represented the 5 kings.

Wondering if "under the sea" refers to the Ironborn in any way.

Mel might distrust him because she cant really see him.

Where did the idea come from that he is a Lord?

Aerion joined the Second Sons briefly. Whereis the connection between Aerion and Steffon?

Sometimes it seems that his Under the Sea statements just refer to opposites. This wouldnt be the first reference to cryptic opposites (Quaithe for instance)

I dont trust the fools AT ALL. they know a LOT. There may be a fools network.

Thing is as far as I can tell Mel is great at seeing the images but terrible at interpretting them. Seeing everything far too literally e.g. the stone dragons must be actual carved stone dragons rather than the stone dragon eggs.

The Stone Dragons bother me because Daenerys saw the stone dragons rise in HOTU

Maybe Mel just missed her shot. She couldn't just show up the first day and say kill the Fool he is evil, I mean, he's been hanging out with Shireen since she was born. And then, what reason once she has ingratiated herself? I doubt she's done more than hint to the Queen, who is an obtuse piece of work that makes Cersei look normal.

Well she had no problem burning loyal bannermen who did nothing more than worship the gods they always have. It must be tied to her statement that she is best at seeing risk to her own person in the fires... perhaps PF is dangerous, but she senses no danger to herself from him.

Dont know if this has been said already but the starfish soup could refer to the flayed man on the bolton sigil who is spread out in a starfish-like manner.

Few interpreters of Patchface seem to jump to the sigil of the greatest religious denomination in Westeros.

It's a star.

The star is everywhere. Silent sisters banners, stained glass in Kings Landing, sigils, necklackes, medalions. It's about as common as the crucifix in our world. It's like Patchface is talking about crossfish.

Patchface is imho talking about dining on the followers of the new gods.

“Under the sea the mermen feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs,”

Mermen: creatures of the sea of bloodmagic. Which is to say: wights, Others, CotF, etc. Forces of the Old Gods.

Starfish: forces and followers of the new gods. Andals. Kingdoms of men, Southrons.

Feast: fecking murder, holocaust, genocide

Crabs: dudes in plate, warriors in armor. Knights, war, strife. They will serve up the slaughter.

Patchface is talking about the ethnic cleansing and massacre which will come when the sea rises, IE the long night comes. This one is IMHO the darkest prophecy of Patchface, and perhaps the least appreciated.

"Winter is coming, Mofo" says Patchface.

"We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh."

My interpretation of this is they will all come back as wights - an idea discussed elsewhere that makes senst to me, when he refers to sea, he is referring to death (makes sense, given what he went through), so seahorses would be undead horses, perhaps the mermaids are the Others, etc.

:agree:

Few interpreters of Patchface seem to jump to the sigil of the greatest religious denomination in Westeros.

It's a star.

The star is everywhere. Silent sisters banners, stained glass in Kings Landing, sigils, necklackes, medalions. It's about as common as the crucifix in our world. It's like Patchface is talking about crossfish.

Patchface is imho talking about dining on the followers of the new gods.

Mermen: creatures of the sea of bloodmagic. Which is to say: wights, Others, CotF, etc. Forces of the Old Gods.

Starfish: forces and followers of the new gods. Andals. Kingdoms of men, Southrons.

Feast: fecking murder, holocaust, genocide

Crabs: dudes in plate, warriors in armor. Knights, war, strife. They will serve up the slaughter.

Patchface is talking about the ethnic cleansing and massacre which will come when the sea rises, IE the long night comes. This one is IMHO the darkest prophecy of Patchface, and perhaps the least appreciated.

"Winter is coming, Mofo" says Patchface.

I also think he is saying the same thing when he says:

"The shadows come to dance my lord, dance my lord, dance my lord. The shadows come to stay my lord, stay my lord, stay my lord..."

The Shadows- The Others. They are the personification of night and darkness.

Come to dance- They come to fight. Note the prologue in AGOT, where Ser Waymar Royce challenges one of the Others to a fight by saying, "Dance with me, then!" Also, swordsmanship in the Free Cities is often referred to as dancing.

Come to stay- The long night. This is a prediction that The Long Night is coming once again, and there will be much "dancing".

I also think he is saying the same thing when he says:

"The shadows come to dance my lord, dance my lord, dance my lord. The shadows come to stay my lord, stay my lord, stay my lord..."

The Shadows- The Others. They are the personification of night and darkness.

Come to dance- They come to fight. Note the prologue in AGOT, where Ser Waymar Royce challenges one of the Others to a fight by saying, "Dance with me, then!" Also, swordsmanship in the Free Cities is often referred to as dancing.

Come to stay- The long night. This is a prediction that The Long Night is coming once again, and there will be much "dancing".

Not just stay for the long night... I think their intent is to reclaim their ancestral lands. After the dance. After the feast.

Not just stay for the long night... I think their intent is to reclaim their ancestral lands. After the dance. After the feast.

You're right.... Patchface never predicted a Dawn, did he? In fact, has any prophet, besides the R'hllor people, predicted the Dawn?

You're right.... Patchface never predicted a Dawn, did he? In fact, has any prophet, besides the R'hllor people, predicted the Dawn?

Hmmm.... good question, actually, I don't think so!

I hadn't thought of that.

Going purely by the analogy to Ragnarok, and by historical precedent, and by analogy to the seasons, I think a dawn has to come at some point.

But I sometimes wonder how far off it will be, and if the entirety of Westeros might not have been swept clean in the night, with refugees arriving in Pentos like wildings crossing the wall. Hence, why only the Essos-based R'hllor talk about the dawn.

Part of me thinks that the Iron Throne will survive, and parts of Westeros will weather the winter. But I'm not sure. It might indeed be that R'hllor is the odd one out for a reason...

• 4 weeks later...

Patchface doesnt always begin a prophecy by saying 'under the sea' but when he does i think it could mean what is he says is going to be the opposite of what will happen. In DWD he says 'under the sea crows are white' also he says 'under the sea snow falls up' (not sure if those are his exact words)

Archived