Patchface Prophesies

We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

Is this the only time he uses "we" instead of "they"? If so that is one ominous pronoun.

Aren't seashells connected to the Westerlings? I think Jeyne's mother is wearing a seashell necklace when Jaime meets Jeyne at Riverrun, and the Frey calls her son the prince/lord of seashells when Jaime tries to find out if he is still alive.

I want Patchface to be the real Aegon Targaryan but I know that doesn't really make any sense. I've just felt from the moment we met him that he is someone important or that there is something about him that will be important.

Is this the only time he uses "we" instead of "they"? If so that is one ominous pronoun.

Yes, I think it foreshadows the death of a lot of people at Castle Black. Maybe an Others attack while Jon is dead? That would certainly be a good time to do it. I think Patchface may be predicting his own death, and that of a lot of others. The mermaids blowing seashells to announce their coming....maybe the wights that are created at Castle Black will head south for White Harbor, where all the men have currently gone away to war with Lord Manderly. So only the women (mermaids) will be their to "announce" their coming.

The Others obviously control the wights somehow (attacking LC Mormont specifically for instance), and I think it would be good strategy on the Others' part to attack the North's most powerful city while it is relatively undefended.

Why is it certain that 'starfish soup' refers to Davos? And who are the 'crabs'?

I already explained this in my first post. The crab is the sigil of House Borrell — Lord Godric rules Sweetsister, and he's the one who sends Davos to White Harbor ("the serving men are crabs"). The starfish is trickier I admit, and no, it's not "certain" (unless you have a better idea that you'd like to share?), but it has five "fingers" and resembles a hand. Davos is Stannis' Hand, "served" to the mermen (Manderlys) by the crab (Lord Borrell).

I had never picked up on the White Raven's "Lord, Lord Lord!" Interesting. Here's another unique thing about Patchface... I have no clue what his angle is or what he's going to do. I like to think I have a general grasp on most characters and what they'll be doing from here on out....but for Patchface, I haven't the foggiest. Where did the prophetic flashes come from? I don't even have a theory. I'm at a total loss. The secret Targ via Aerion is intriguing and would provide some sort of an answer, but I fear he's about 50 years too young if my radio math is correct.

Nobody said Aerion was Patchface’s father, merely his ancestor.

• 2 weeks later...
"We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

This one reminds me of Cotter Pyke's letter. "Dead things in the water." We can all agree that Patchface died when he drowned, right? Perhaps "we" refers to his undead wight friends, who are able to walk through the sea. Or ride, on undead horses (or undead fish or something for that matter).

Not sure what the mermaids bit is about, unless they attack White Harbour, which seems unlikely. There is that big ol' fleet that Manderley's been building, though. I wonder how that'll come into play. But I don't think "mermaids" necessarily means the Manderleys.

So what about the Damphir (sorry if that is misspelled), and the Drowned god? It is an ironborn tradition to go out into the sea and "drown" and be resurrected. I assume that those who take it literally and drown and come back to life are then would have some sort of special powers for lack of a better word. It is like the priests and priestesses to R'hllor and the powers they posses. He could indirectly be tied into the the beliefs of the ironborn in that way and with Stannis holding both Asha and Theon it could tie into them somehow

Here are a few I've found.

"Under the sea, the crows are white as snow, I know, I know, oh, oh, oh. "

“We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

Rather than only events at the wall, think could be taken as foretelling returning Targs (Dany/Aegon +Dragons). Ironborn (Mermaids) blowing the horn (seashells) to announce their coming...?

"Under the sea, men marry fishes. They do, they do, they do."

Asha's Wedding? or another Greyjoy wedding?

"Under the sea, the birds have scales for feathers."

Definitely Dragons...

"Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black,” Patchface sang somewhere. “I know, I know, oh, oh, oh."

If "under the sea" refers to death, then that sounds like to me Pathface has died and has seen the fires of the seven hells and has come back.

If Patchface is a possible descendant of Aerion Targaryen, and Mel saw him with blood on his mouth surrounded by death... and Shireen also had a vision of being eaten by a Dragon - this could all link together to end up with Patchface eating Shireen? Possibly one of the reasons why he stays close to her... But is this a good thing or bad thing? I know Shireen is a child but Val thinks she should have been killed long ago... and i like Val... and Stannis has informed Massey in the WoW chapter that he is to put Shireen on the throne if he dies... which is just stupid...

I felt that patchface felt familiar when I read the books the first time. Also when rereading ofc, but then I think it is due to rereading.

I tried to look up books that I've read, but there are quite many. Eventually however, I came upon Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, which feautres and ending very influenced by the white ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ship

And that might be where the feeling of dejavu concerning the character of patchface comes from.

Also, in Robin Hobbs Farseer Triology, a fool is someone else in disguise.

Those two together could work to make Patchface a targaryen. But they are only connected by me here in the post. There is nothing saying that GRRM would be influensed by these (especially since both Robb and Follet published their books about the same time as GRRM).

I think there is more to it, I recall a third story with some long lost heir being returned as a halfwit fool unknowingly to everyone, and then revealed in the end. But I can't clear my memory. And if such a tale exist, it might be what influenced all of the examples above?

Sorry my english is crap .

After he predicted the RW, I thought he was still some comic relief; a fool showing far more wisdom and foresight than the great Melisandre of Asshai. So I thought he was her comic foil.

But these other prophesies make things seem much more creepy...

EDIT: About Mel's vision of Patchface, what if somehow he was responsible for the deaths of Steffon and co? I know that there was a big storm and all, but a such a witty fool could distract everyone, with fatal consequences. The blood on the lips could be from the fact that he dined on a corpse or two while out at sea. This could also explain how the hell he survived for a couple days out there.

In addition to some of the above, some more Patchface comes from the Cressen prologue:

"It is always summer under the sea." . . . "The merwives wear nennymoans in their hair and weave gowns of silver seaweed. . ."

"Under the sea, it snows up. . . and the rain is dry as bone. . ."

After Patchface and Cressen fall down together, "Under the sea you fall up. . ." and later, "Here we eat fish . . . . Under the sea, the fish eat us. . . "

"Under the sea, no one wears hats. . . "

If Patchface is a possible descendant of Aerion Targaryen, and Mel saw him with blood on his mouth surrounded by death... and Shireen also had a vision of being eaten by a Dragon - this could all link together to end up with Patchface eating Shireen? Possibly one of the reasons why he stays close to her... But is this a good thing or bad thing? I know Shireen is a child but Val thinks she should have been killed long ago... and i like Val... and Stannis has informed Massey in the WoW chapter that he is to put Shireen on the throne if he dies... which is just stupid...

You're seriously considering it would be a good thing if Patchface ate Shireen? Jezus.

You're seriously considering it would be a good thing if Patchface ate Shireen? Jezus.

Just asking the Q. Depending on how events transpire it may be he is a plant to help eventually overthrow Stannis? Brought back from death like Davos to serve some greater purpose... A bit like a gollum character. Not someone you root for but needed...

Archived