Confirmed. Reeds

houseHB

Introducing the Reeds at this point is easy enough. They basically just show up for no reason in the books, so they can show up for no reason at a slightly later point in the TV show and it'll make just as much sense. Introducing the Tullys is going to be complicated. The fact that we spent this whole season with Robb, and that neither the Tullys nor the Riverlords in general were ever mentioned, nor the idea that the Riverlands are part of Robb's claimed kingdom, means that it'll seem like they came out of nowhere. I'm sure they'll figure out a way to do it, but it seems like they've made more problems than they needed to.

I'm actually highly disappointed that they chose to cast the Reeds. I'm guessing they caved in to fan pressure, as including the Reeds now would not really contribute to the story and only waste budget and screentime. So many good characters have already been cut from the show, and they choose to include a couple whose storyline has already been sliced in half?

Bran has three seasons of travel ahead of him and just Osha and Rickon to interact with and that's IF they stay, no matter how much they cut back on Bran screentime, Osha/Bran interactions are gonna get old at some point.

Also, I think they were ready to get the axe but GRRM has them playing a key role in the upcoming books and might have mentioned keeping them around to HBO.

This is what I think too, I think GRRM reminded D&D that the Reeds play a key role in Bran's final story.

I don't understand how they are going to incorporate Edmure Tully and Blackfish at all. Are they going to pretend like the this is the first time they've been involved with the series? I don't think they have even been mentioned at all yet so far, and Riverrun/the Tully's are heavily involved in ACOK (mostly) and ASOS.

How are they going to pass this off?

It has already been mentioned that Riverrun is involved in the war, and we also know that Cat and Lysa are Tully sisters. It shouldn't be too difficult for them.

And how are Jojen and Meera going to connect up with Bran/Hodor? Random.

My guess is that they will meet them at some point along the Northern Road. Perhaps at the crowed Watchtower?

Thank God, not that I care much about them, but it will stop the "Why did they cut the Reeds?" whining which was a highly popular activity on this board for months. ;)

man you forget the Reeds are ESSENTIAL !!! not just little kids mucking around !

they basically are the children of the ONLY man ALIVE who knows WHO jon's mother is !!!! Howland reed WAS at the tower of joy and there's no way the theory R+L isn't true, it makes soo much sense at every level !! so yeah we need the reeds to explain to jon snow he really IS a Targaryen !!! ( hence the color of ghost by the way :)

http://www.yidio.com/news/game-thrones-season-3-list-new-characters-6227

Here's the list of new characters that Benioff and Weiss have decided to include (thus far):

- Mance Rayder: Now known as "The King Beyond the Wall," Mance was once a member of the Night's Watch who took up a new life as a Wildling. He's the reason Jon Snow is out beyond the Wall right now, so we might actually meet Mance before the end of this season.

- Daario Naharis: A blue-haired mercenary (that's how they roll where he's from) who fights for the Stormcrows.

- Jojen and Meera Reed: These two siblings arrive at Winterfell, and might be the key to Bran finding out more about his dreams.

- Edmure Tully: A warrior and member of the Tully family who is involved in Robb Stark's war with the Lannisters.

- Ser Brynden Tully: Also known as the Blackfish, Brynden Tully is uncle to Catelyn Stark and a loyal member of House Tully.

- Lady Selyse Florent and Shireen: Stannis Baratheon's wife and daughter, respectively. We have briefly seen Lady Selyse in the current season.

- Olenna Redwyne: Olenna is an elder member of the Tyrell family through marriage, as she is the widow of Luthor Tyrell.

- Beric Dondarrion: The leader of the Brotherhood Without Banners, a group that has been mentioned in the Harrenhal plotline this season but have not yet played as big a role as they do in the books. Looks like that's about to change.

- Thoros of Myr: A red priest and skilled fighter. His priesthood puts him in the same religion as Melisandre, who had some game-changing scenes in the current season (shadow babies!).

- Tormund Giantsbane: A large Wildling rider who meets Jon Snow.

I wonder how they will do the relationship between Meera and Bran, there is a chance for a lot of humorous scenes. A young tween having a crush on an older gal is fine as long as they keep it innocent and funny.

Bran: "Meera, baby, you're my forever girl".

I really like the Reeds and what they bring to the books so I was happy about this move.

Also, I think they were ready to get the axe but GRRM has them playing a key role in the upcoming books and might have mentioned keeping them around to HBO.

BTW, I really hope they do bring Donal Noye into the fold.

Certainly one Reed plays a key role in upcoming books - Howland Reed. Having his children in the series is a way to introduce him, his backstory with Ned, etc. I'm not surprised that one of the Reed siblings made it into the show, but I'm surprised that both did.

One character that I'm surprised did make it into the third season was Blackfish. Also a bit surprised about The Queen of Thorns because Margaery clearly doesn't need grandma's help when it comes to scheming. I guess Oleanna Tyrell is too fun a character to keep out - Sansa's dinner with Marg and Granny is going to be hilarious.

People have made complaints, but based on the first two seasons (and these casting decisions), Game of Thrones is shaping up to being the most faithful fantasy Book-to-Screen adaptation that I've seen thus far.

First post here! Greetings from Greece!

I'm really excited about 4 characters' confirmations since i've lost hope they might got cut! The Reeds, Blackfish Queen of Thorns and Shireen Baratheon!

I really hope we get an introduction to Howland Reed eventually so that the non-readers get a clue about the speculations of Jon's lineage we're talking about since the first book! If the Reeds or Shireen weren't really important, Osha would took over and Stannis would be childless!

Archived