[Book Spoilers] GoT or The Walking Dead?

teemo

But wouldn't some of the wights be shuffling around like that because of the amount of decay. Look at Othor in S1 he was walking like a living person and was fast as well, this makes sense since he was a fresh corpse. Also I noticed in the crowd of Wights some of them were walking normal so not all of them were walking like something from the walking dead. The shuffling ones probaly had missing or broken legs and were in more decay then others were. I think they did a good job with them.

edit: Also I thought the White Walkers looked pretty cool, though IMO I liked the ones in the comic the most, they most resembled what I imagined them to look like, I also missed their armor.

The WW looked good, you could really tell the power and grace that he emmits with those eyes, you can also see that WW arent just mindless dead people but actually on par with the living. BUT, the wight just didnt fit, how exactly are they going to fight, the wights i a reader envisioned were agile not slumbering messes. well see tho. it was a little much to get a full on scene showing the other horde tho as it was never described in the books nor did we get an actual full on view of them.

The WW didn't see Sam. If you watch the scene, you'll see the WW or the wights haven't passed the rock Sam's hiding behind. I think the WW merely sensed Sam behind the rock, and is basically doing what he did to Will: taunting and scaring him.

But wouldn't some of the wights be shuffling around like that because of the amount of decay.

I didn't get the expression in the series that the Wights were much decayed. Afair the bodies found during the Vow ceremony looked pretty fresh, Sam even pointed out that there was no blood as there should be. That's why they looked somewhat suspicious. Anyway, that's why I used to think the WW magics stop the process of decay. And yes, they looked somewhat corny on the screen...

The wights are zombies... they're not ALL described as decayed but some are (polar bear reference needed)... They're zombies and didn't look silly at all to me, they looked like animated corpses, which is what they are.... the scene was fine except for Sam being seen by the WW which doesn't make sense...

I didn't get the expression in the series that the Wights were much decayed. Afair the bodies found during the Vow ceremony looked pretty fresh, Sam even pointed out that there was no blood as there should be. That's why they looked somewhat suspicious. Anyway, that's why I used to think the WW magics stop the process of decay. And yes, they looked somewhat corny on the screen...

Hmm I guess that would make sense, I mean, yeah, what use would the WW have with heavily decayed corpses that can hardly move.

OP.

What do you mean 'they look like zombies'? They are reanimated dead. Undead. In our world today, that's the synonym for zombie. I do not see what the problem is here.

And how do you know they shuffling and mindless? We saw how Othor moved quickly last season. These wights weren't close enough to the other black brothers. Maybe they will spring into action when they see them. Compare this to how long it took for the little girl in the prologue in S1 and Othor to react. Nothing has changed there.

And as for the mindless part of the story: every single one of the zombies carried a weapon and/or shield. Heck, I even saw one carrying a bow! You have to have at least some brain function left to be able to wield a bow, wouldn't you say? And just look at the last ten seconds of the episode, when the camera pans out over the horde. That is definitely not how zombies move!

The WW didn't see Sam. If you watch the scene, you'll see the WW or the wights haven't passed the rock Sam's hiding behind. I think the WW merely sensed Sam behind the rock, and is basically doing what he did to Will: taunting and scaring him.

No. Before Sam see's the White Walker you clearly see a wight walking past him. Sam then peers out from the rock and see's the horse. He reacts to seeing the horse and the camera pans up to show the White Walker who turns and looks downwards, cut to Sam who is now looking upward and reacts to seeing this by having a look of utter fear on his face and then looks away. The White Walker undoubtedly saw him and he undoubtedly saw the White Walker. Even if you believe he only sensed him it does still begs the question of why didn't he do anything about it?

No. Before Sam see's the White Walker you clearly see a wight walking past him. Sam then peers out from the rock and see's the horse. He reacts to seeing the horse and the camera pans up to show the White Walker who turns and looks downwards, cut to Sam who is now looking upward and reacts to seeing this by having a look of utter fear on his face and then looks away. The White Walker undoubtedly saw him and he undoubtedly saw the White Walker. Even if you believe he only sensed him it does still begs the question of why didn't he do anything about it?

the walker recognized the slayer and wisely kept moving.

I don't get it guys. The wights (and the WW) are walking, slowly, they are not attacking anyone. Should they run each and everytime they are re-animated? They really weren't even walking like mindless zombies, they were just walking slowly. Mind you, they are dead, and stuck in snow! Just watch the scene, they are frozen corpses walking before a battle, with their weapons in hands. Until they reach the Night's Watch men, they don't have a real purpose, so why would they run ?

Sometimes I get some of the show's complaints, sometimes I don't. This time I really don't.

The WW looked like it had skin made of bark. I always imagined them as having human skin but completly white, glowing blue eyes, and that cool shimmering armor. That was the only thing I wish they had done with the WW. Give them the cool armor.

I thought the White Walkers looked good, though I missed the armor for sure. They do not have quite the elegance that I imagined.

I found the zombies urrr wights to be pretty lame. Looked like a George Romero movie, not that I dislike Romero but slow shambling zombies always seemed more funny then threatening to me. Anything you can escape from by walking at a brisk walk is not scary. Personally always figured the wights looked like the living counterparts but all pale and glowey eyed. Like the magic that reanimated them kind of made them physically whole. Made the whole thing more threatening.

Just me. Really the only real problem I have is the shambling. I understand that not everything is going to look the way I imagined it.

I liked the wights - particularly the horse - I agree with other posters who said some of the wights will be stronger/faster than others depending on level of decomposition. I think having half rotted, more "typical zombie" ones at the front of the crowd makes it more freaky for tv audience/Sam.

Thought the main ww was ok, fur-like skin was unexpected - thought it would be wearing armour with smooth "bone white" skin. Have found the glimpses earlier in show were more effective.

Also I'm a believer in the film theory that something is scarier if you can't see all of it. If you had just seen the ww's eyes through a helm or if the attack was at night so Sam's POV was more shadowy, the idea of the WWs would have been more suspenseful/terrifying. Having seen the whole shirtless, furry WW, sitting on a rotting horse in the daylight,I find some of the mystery - and fear - is lessened.

I'm glad the WW where graceful, elegants, somehow like the Xenomorph in Alien: the ultimate predator, perfect, beautiful. And I sensed this power and grace from them in the show so it worked for me.

Uhhh....I've kind of always pictured the wights as zombies. I mean, how could you not? They're re-animated corpses. What is a zombie if not a re-animated corpse???

As far as the White Walker glancing at Sam and passing right over him...the creature/demon probably saw him as such an insignificant threat that it didn't even have to raise a finger to stop him. Kind of like the Borg.

Archived