Should I read the books or watch the series first?

Harry Potter

Watch the show first so you don't turn into an irrational hater. The people who say the second season sucks are really just comparing it to the ideal adaptation in their heads and raging about where it doesn't live up to what they expected. If you don't read the books first you won't suffer from it.

Watch the show first so you don't turn into an irrational hater. The people who say the second season sucks are really just comparing it to the ideal adaptation in their heads and raging about where it doesn't live up to what they expected. If you don't read the books first you won't suffer from it.

I think that only applies to season 2. Almost all readers loved the first season.

I do agree that watching the second season before reading ACOK would give you a more objective judgement of the season. But no matter what, read the books.

i'd read the books first. less waiting. you can get what will be the first 7ish seasons done in a short amount of time.

The show is the best thing on TV, but it fails as an adaption of the books in a lot of ways.

need to watch more tv. tons of stuff that's better. it succeeds more as an adaption than as a television show.

this is false. season two had many many problems. if i hadn't read the books first, i probably wouldn't have enjoyed it very much

this is false. season two had many many problems. if i hadn't read the books first, i probably wouldn't have enjoyed it very much

Mostly I hear that from people who read the books, and people who didn't tend to really like the show. What you call problems probably won't register to people who didn't read the books.

But no matter what, read the books.

That's one thing I would agree 100% too, I watched the first season first and then started with the books, and the books help to get into the story and the world, because there are so many Characters/names and places and you easily get confused. I know what I'm talking about, my dad I got him to watch the Series with me and I told him so badly he should focus on what hes watching and stop doing different stuff besides watching the series and now we have season two started since 3 weeks here in Germany and last time I asked him if he still likes he said he's confused by all the names and if I name a Character hes asking who he/she is etc. and I told him into reading the books too to stop the confusion at all.... I think to follow this series is hard because of all those different places, names and who belongs to whom and who is good, who is bad, who fights for what etc. if you only have the knowledge from the ten episodes per season. Don't get me wrong, I think they did a great job on the series, but ten hours are far to short to get you into all the stuff that's going on and it is more like you get rushed through a story, and makes you mixing places, names and all those stuff... (Hope it's not only me who gets confused by it from time to time)

IMO, watch the show first, that way you don't have to constantly compare how a scene played out differently in the book. I wish I had done that, but I read the books before the show started, so I tend to find myself wishing some scenes played out like they did in the book, and other vice versa.

• 3 weeks later...

Read book 1 first. Why? Because your own imagination will create Tyrion or Jon or Sansa or Winterfell or Ghost in your head. You will create how they speak, how they look, and how they do the things they do. Then you have the distinct pleasure of seeing either how right, or how wrong the casting was, and how much it was like what you pictured. If you watch the series first, you will have given up the right to create your own characters for the roles Do not give up your own creativity to the hands of an HBO director....even though some casting is genius! After that, read or watch however you prefer.

Read book 1 first. Why? Because your own imagination will create Tyrion or Jon or Sansa or Winterfell or Ghost in your head. You will create how they speak, how they look, and how they do the things they do. Then you have the distinct pleasure of seeing either how right, or how wrong the casting was, and how much it was like what you pictured. If you watch the series first, you will have given up the right to create your own characters for the roles Do not give up your own creativity to the hands of an HBO director....even though some casting is genius! After that, read or watch however you prefer.

Exactly.

I read the books before the show and this gave me the wonderful opportunity to feed my imagination.

Currently I'm doing a re-read of AGOT and I think it is really great how the characters become more and more "complete" now when I already know the book and the show.

But I believe that books should be first. For example: some of my non-reader friends say they hate Jon Snow in the show but I keep telling them he's a great character in the books. During my re-read I noticed how personal are some of the POV's - and I don't think it can ever be fully shown on tv.

Another thing: I have never been very fond of Daenerys but I have been thinking about her a lot recently and I decided I really don't like her in the show but in the books she isn't that bad. Actually, I'm slowly getting to like her.

Read first, watch after. That way, you get to experience the subtle little details that are lost in the show. Part of the pleasure of reading these books are the prophecies and visions, and then interpreting (or trying to) what they mean. The show does away with those details.

If you do normally read this type of fiction, then go ahead and read the books first. Your imagination will fill in the places and people the way you want them to be--though this could be a source of irritation for you when you then watch the show and think--that's so not what he's supposed to look like!

If you don't normally get into epic fantasy, watch first. You'll love the books after. My brother--who never reads anything, def not fantasy, and never epic fantasy, is reading the first book now after watching the show. Never would've gotten into without the show as background. One of my sisters is now diving into the books after watching the show, but she could have gone either way.

That said, the show will be way more fun if you watch first and read second. My nonbook reading friends loved season 2. For the rest of us, it was ... tough. So, if you're looking for the most enjoyment and easiest way to get into it, show first then books. If you read this type of fiction all the time, then maybe books first show second.

I think everyone here agrees that the books are the better story, so you will love them no matter what (unless you don't normally read this type of fiction--then it may be harder to get into if you don't watch the show first, I don't know). Also, I think it's easier to enjoy a book that varies from a show/movie, since the book is usually the source, and makes the story richer, rather than the other way around.

Also, def read dunk n egg--preferably right after a storm of swords, but at least before a dance with dragons.

I don't understand why you are even participating in threads if you haven't watched the show nor read the books. What could you possibly have to add to any discussions about something you haven't read or watched? At least watch the show, then stick to the show threads. If you aren't going to read the books, there's always Television Without Pity.

After you read all of the books, seek out threads.

Until then, stay in the Still Reading threads, for several reasons.

I'd say read the books first. I saw S1 of the show first then read the books, even the first one, which you really shold read to get some backstory the show doesn't give. I finished book 2 before S2 started and am so glad I did honestly because the second season is so different in important ways. I finished the rest of the books then and am so glad I didcovered this series. It is so good, and you won't be able to stop reading till you read all of them.

I'd say read the first book, then watch season 1 and season 2, then read the rest of the books. Some of season 1 is likely hard to follow (but still enjoyable) if you haven't read the book, so reading the book increases the enjoyment.

Season 2 is different from the book in some significant ways which, if you've read the book, can hamper your enjoyment of the show, but the show taken on it's own is very good. It is kind of a case of what you don't know won't hurt you.

Archived