If you could live somewhere in the world of ASoIaF, where would you live?

effervesce

You will see many..... wonders in Stygai. The Shadowlands are fraught with that which mortal men call mysterious, but none more so than my corpse city. Don't visit, and you'll regret the lost opportunity. Visit, and youu may regret far, far more. This I promise you

I can't let this go without warning people.

First, you will not see anything. Not because it's dark 23 hours of the day--the eldritch glow from the river takes care of that--but because as soon as you cross the city limits, the shadows actually descend and cloud your vision. Sure, you will experience wonders, through your other four senses and a few you didn't know you had, but see? No. That's a total lie. Also, the restaurants serve tiny portions, for ridiculous prices. I know they have nothing but ghost grass and have to import anything edible, and the locals are all starving, and we should feel bad for them, but still, as a tourist, you expect a little more, at least in the hotel restaurants. Plus, nobody speaks Common. I mean nobody. I know, I'm an ugly Westerosi abroad, we expect the whole world blah blah blah, but I'm a paying tourist. When I go to an oyster stall in Braavos or a whorehouse in Lys or the fighting pits in Meereen, if they want my money, they know how to ask for it in my language, and they get it--with a nice tip, unlike people from Essos. But not there, they just all speak their weird "ooooooh whooooooo" language, and it doesn't matter how slow or how loud you ask for directions. And there's no nightlife. You go out to a tavern, you expect to see a few buxom wenches, but in Stygai, every girl you meet literally disappears when she turns sideways. And I'm not misusing "literally" like all the young kids in King's Landing do, I know what it means, and I mean it. But the worst problem of all is that you cannot get transportation. You get off the ship in Asshai and try to charter a coach to Stygai, and every single coach driver says the same thing: "This is as far as I go, and if you were wise, you would turn back as well." If I wanted their opinion, I'd ask for it. I deal with coach drivers from Asshai every day back home--it seems like half the coach drivers in Oldtown are named Messisalsamississippi these days--and none of them ever give me that backtalk.

So save your money and go to Yeen instead, where you'll actually get to see the ghosts of vanished settlers who dance with the eldritch horrors around the toad statues that encircle the city. Now, that's a show, Stygai's got nothing like that. Sure, there's the giant crocodiles and the invisible ghosts who snatch one tourist every night, but at least you get to see what you paid for.

I can't let this go without warning people.

First, you will not see anything. Not because it's dark 23 hours of the day--the eldritch glow from the river takes care of that--but because as soon as you cross the city limits, the shadows actually descend and cloud your vision. Sure, you will experience wonders, through your other four senses and a few you didn't know you had, but see? No. That's a total lie. Also, the restaurants serve tiny portions, for ridiculous prices. I know they have nothing but ghost grass and have to import anything edible, and the locals are all starving, and we should feel bad for them, but still, as a tourist, you expect a little more, at least in the hotel restaurants. Plus, nobody speaks Common. I mean nobody. I know, I'm an ugly Westerosi abroad, we expect the whole world blah blah blah, but I'm a paying tourist. When I go to an oyster stall in Braavos or a whorehouse in Lys or the fighting pits in Meereen, if they want my money, they know how to ask for it in my language, and they get it--with a nice tip, unlike people from Essos. But not there, they just all speak their weird "ooooooh whooooooo" language, and it doesn't matter how slow or how loud you ask for directions. And there's no nightlife. You go out to a tavern, you expect to see a few buxom wenches, but in Stygai, every girl you meet literally disappears when she turns sideways. And I'm not misusing "literally" like all the young kids in King's Landing do, I know what it means, and I mean it. But the worst problem of all is that you cannot get transportation. You get off the ship in Asshai and try to charter a coach to Stygai, and every single coach driver says the same thing: "This is as far as I go, and if you were wise, you would turn back as well." If I wanted their opinion, I'd ask for it. I deal with coach drivers from Asshai every day back home--it seems like half the coach drivers in Oldtown are named Messisalsamississippi these days--and none of them ever give me that backtalk.

So save your money and go to Yeen instead, where you'll actually get to see the ghosts of vanished settlers who dance with the eldritch horrors around the toad statues that encircle the city. Now, that's a show, Stygai's got nothing like that. Sure, there's the giant crocodiles and the invisible ghosts who snatch one tourist every night, but at least you get to see what you paid for.

We have Fire Wyrms and dragons and stuff  *sulks*

It's easy for me, The Summer Isles this straight from the ASOIAF Wiki

"The act of lovemaking is considered an important and even holy skill."
"Summer Islanders respect their elderly, and mourning customs include celebrating the dead with wine and lovemaking."

Cersei and Jaime would fit right in.

"Another dead person." "Should we have sex?" "I think we should have sex."

If I were transported to Westeros at the exact "current" point in the series? The Wall. The Others are going to attack any day now, and they need all the help they can get. Plus, there's the chance of death in glorious combat to save mankind, so that's a bonus.

Any other point? I'm in a bit of a pickle, seeing that I don't have many skills that are terribly marketable for the Westerosi economy, aside from being a maester or a septon. Since I'm not one to bow and pray to heathen gods, I think Oldtown would be my best bet - hopefully the entrance standards at the Citadel are too high. Braavos sounds great, but I'm not really sure what I would do for a living there. Though I'd probably not be a courtesan. 

I like the culture of the North but it would be too damn cold, except maybe somewhere like White Harbor.  Same with Dorne, great culture but too hot. I think I'd prefer to live in either Oldtown or somewhere in the Vale. In Essos, either Braavos or Pentos

Archived