I feel like I am missing out on Abercrombie because of ebooks

MisterOJ

I buy physical books occasionally, but having to do that does give me pause about whether to buy or not. When it comes time to move, I know what format I'd prefer my collection to be in, to say nothing of storage difficulties.

I love physical books, I like how they feel, and I like looking at how far through you are, flipping back to the map is much easier. But as the above post says, storage is a bitch!! I have lived in three different countries in the last two years, and have a job that constantly requires travel; ebook is a no brainer. If I get sent away for a couple of months, I would rather take my eReader with tens of books, than maybe 5 real books that I can cram into my suitcase

The OP sounds like a booksellers nightmare. You browse the shelves then download right there in the aisle?! :P You might as well go up to one of the staffmembers and slap then round the face with a hardback and say "Microsoft sends its regards."

But I don't quite understand the original question: all 3 First Law books are available for the Kindle. Not hard to convert for the Nook or whatever if you prefer.

I actually have a couple of really good reasons for asking the question:

1) I've never bought anything through Amazon and didn't know you could convert a Kindle e-book to Nook format. Actually, I never really thought about it. It makes sense really. But I never looked into it or gave it much thought.

2) I never knew (until starting this thread) that First Law was available for Kindle. I just assumed that if a book was available in one e-book format, it would be available in the other. That doesn't make sense from a publishing point of view. I'm sure I'm not the only person that didn't realize this and has not purchased an ebook because he/she didn't realize it could be purchased from another outlet.

Two things.

This has to be the most hilarious rendition of this ebook/real book discussion I've ever read - only been on Westeros a couple years though. I'm definitely in the would read both camp, though I've never spent the money on an e-reader and couldn't conveniently buy e-books due to lack of credit. I'm not sure that the environmental impact is of issue here, else you'd all be suggesting books made out of hemp paper.

Nuff said. However, having grown up dirt poor most of my whole life, I still very much experienced battery operated electronics, and when your hydro gets cut off or you're out of gas on the side of the road, you tend to appreciate a physical book.

So don't none of you damned e-reading secularists come anywhere near my apocalyptic bunker filled with a dragon's hoard of paperbacks and hardcovers. You suffer the consequences of your choices through Armageddon.

I sacrifice a small electronic device every day to appease my massively overflowing bookcase.

That was amazing.

In the mid-1500's, a noted condottiere named Federico Montefeltro had one of the largest collections of books in Europe. He refused to allow any product of a printing press into his library. :)

...when your hydro gets cut off or you're out of gas on the side of the road, you tend to appreciate a physical book.

So don't none of you damned e-reading secularists come anywhere near my apocalyptic bunker filled with a dragon's hoard of paperbacks and hardcovers. You suffer the consequences of your choices through Armageddon.

My post-apocalypse packing includes a solar-powered recharger :-)

But I admit it's irritating when I have to switch off for take-off and landing. Luckily I mostly travel by train...

But I admit it's irritating when I have to switch off for take-off and landing. Luckily I mostly travel by train...

This irritates the hell out of me. Especially as when it is off the screen shows a cover, so all the trolley dollys assume that it is on.

This thread is like three pages of retreaded material from the last last time this topic came up. I like how entrenched people are on the matter. It gives me hope that the right wing and the left wing can come together in the middle as friends and celebrate the diversity of the human....shit, couldn't even finish that sentence without calling my own bullshit.

But you know what this tells me? That there WILL be an end to human civilization because we can't agree on a god dammed thing. So those people lugging around 500 pounds of books during the end days will be easy game for the reavers, while those with electronic devices will either be selling their bodies for a chance to recharge their devices, or quietly killing themselves in some out of the way place when they grow too bored, their last sight in this world of a blank e-reader.

So those people lugging around 500 pounds of books during the end days will be easy game for the reavers, while those with electronic devices will either be selling their bodies for a chance to recharge their devices, or quietly killing themselves in some out of the way place when they grow too bored, their last sight in this world of a blank e-reader.

"That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was all the time I needed...! That's not fair!"

What about those of us with both? We can use the books initially as projectiles for defence, and to start fires for survival. Then use the bright, shiny eReader as an object of awe to found a religion among the ignorant and savage next generation and thus live in comfort in our declining years!

Compromise wins again!

1) I've never bought anything through Amazon and didn't know you could convert a Kindle e-book to Nook format.

Yes, you can convert anything to anything, and it's not hard to do, but the legality of it is something of a grey area because it (usually) involves stripping off the DRM (digital rights management). Different countries have different laws and interpretations on that.

2) I never knew (until starting this thread) that First Law was available for Kindle. I just assumed that if a book was available in one e-book format, it would be available in the other.

Well, of course you would, but Amazon likes exclusive rights and since they're the biggest, some publishers just don't bother with the other formats, even when they could. What drives me nuts is when the Kindle version gets disconnected from the other formats on Amazon, so you think a book's not available for Kindle, but if you search a different way, there it is. Stupid.

In an ideal world, you would be able to search for the book, and find all the possible formats (and prices) in one place. Goodreads almost (but not quite) does this.

@Arthmail: Yeah, whole subject's been done to death. Let's stop. [brightly] So... must be time to talk about B*kker again, then? OK, OK, I'm going...

How does this work when the cloud cover of nuclear winter doesn't let the sun in for fifty years or more...?

Well, i would think that at that point finally reading the last of the Harry Potter books would become something of a moot point. What with the being a frozen corpse thing and all.

Well, i would think that at that point finally reading the last of the Harry Potter books would become something of a moot point. What with the being a frozen corpse thing and all.

Besides which, the EMP pulse that ends civilization will have fried the circuitry anyway.

I'm all for storing books in buried, vacuum sealed wine barrels.

Well, of course you would, but Amazon likes exclusive rights and since they're the biggest, some publishers just don't bother with the other formats, even when they could. What drives me nuts is when the Kindle version gets disconnected from the other formats on Amazon, so you think a book's not available for Kindle, but if you search a different way, there it is. Stupid.

In an ideal world, you would be able to search for the book, and find all the possible formats (and prices) in one place. Goodreads almost (but not quite) does this.

Abercrombie's other two books - Heroes and Best Served Cold - are both available for the Nook. And so is the presale of his upcoming novel. I just figured (and I see now where that got me) that since his earlier books weren't on there - they had never been converted to ebook format - or whatever it is they do to books that were published before ebooks became commonplace.

I really should just by the damn books and read them. I'm fairly certain I'd enjoy them. But, when faced with the decision of doing that or just buying something else I am fairly certain I'll enjoy in the format I prefer (like the Robin Hobb novel I'm currently enjoying) I'll go with the format I prefer.

Archived