U.S. Politics - ACA is now official edition

TerraPrime

And I think Anthony Kennedy is much more capable of radical action than many believe. Ouch.

Edited to add:

It's interesting that the very fact of a favorable Supreme Court ruling that changes nothing about the ACA has an impact on public opinion. I don't think this proves the ACA is getting more popular - I'd want more evidence before drawing that conclusion - but I think it shows how vague, uncertain and sometimes contradictory Americans' opinions can be.

I really think Roberts is trying to do what Marshall did with Marbury.

Raidne's always pointing out that the court can only legislate-from-the-bench on what cases are brought to it. This particular session seems to have a thousand 'bomb' invitations to conservatives to bring as many cases as possible, it's sort of like Roberts conceded one battle to gain an advantage in the long term war, and stocked up on ammunition for future battles. I hope democrats retain a few more terms of the presidency to help the country survive the five SC extremists. We need a more powerful and empowered federal government and we need to keep making democrat appointments to the SC to ensure that. I worry that Roberts is planning on future amputations with some of these decisions, he's hoping that his extremism will have as far reaching an effect at redefining the country as Marbury.

And I think Anthony Kennedy is much more capable of radical action than many believe. Ouch.

Edited to add:

It's interesting that the very fact of a favorable Supreme Court ruling that changes nothing about the ACA has an impact on public opinion. I don't think this proves the ACA is getting more popular - I'd want more evidence before drawing that conclusion - but I think it shows how vague, uncertain and sometimes contradictory Americans' opinions can be.

There was a Planet Money episode where they spoke with a CEO of a company whose company is responsible with denying health insurance to people with preexisting conditions, he didn't care either way if it was constitutional, just can't be arsed to pay attention. In a nice bit of shadenfreude, the sound bite that opens the show is the company preventing a woman with fibramyalgia from getting insurance, and the particular employee that made that call is gone now, since there will be much less use for the company in a world where they can't deny people from getting insurance as a business model.

Lockesnow,

So, Roberts makes a ruling you find reasonable but he's still an extremist?

If you want the Fed to have more power why don't you and those who agree with you fight to amend the Constitution or for a Constitutional convention were we can start fresh? Why depend upon the Supremes?

Lot of scuttlebutt that the leaks in the CBS article came from one of the Justices. Is that even legal? Probably.....still, there seems to be something tawdry about this whole mess.

It probably came from Roberts himself.

And like that, he's gone.

It probably came from Roberts himself.

And like that, he's gone.

As he himself joked, he's off "to an impregnable, island fortress"; i.e. Malta.

Lockesnow,

If you want the Fed to have more power why don't you and those who agree with you fight to amend the Constitution or for a Constitutional convention were we can start fresh? Why depend upon the Supremes?

Because depending on the SCOTUS is how everyone changes the Constitution, given that a Constitutional Convention is pretty much impossible.

Lockesnow,

nah, I've thought he was an extremist since the confirmation hearings, the article from a year or two back on his stealth extremism was pretty good. I also don't really find his ruling reasonable. I thought initially the mandate was a tax, then I understood that the language was changed in conference committee to protect Obama on the no new taxes pledge so that it was no longer a tax. I thought the mandate was pretty fucking obviously constitutional under the last 80 years of precedent and interpretation of the Commerce Clause. I think Roberts' opinion was tortured and political in a very stealthy way by issuing an open invitation for challenges to the commerce clause without using the case to establish it as hard precedent, he gets to declare how favorable he is to handing down some more stealthy extreme decisions on much more minor cases. Additionally, I think the medicaid ruling is extremely dangerous to the health and well being of the country at large and has the potential to cause absolutely insane problems to further inhibit the good governance of the country. I'm still a bit stunned at the concurring justices on the medicaid part of the decision.

GSK, one of the world's largest healthcare and pharmaceuticals companies, admitted to promoting antidepressants Paxil and Wellbutrin for unapproved uses, including treatment of children and adolescents.

The illegal practice is known as off-label marketing.

The company also conceded charges that it held back data and made unsupported safety claims over its diabetes drug Avandia.

In addition, GSK has been found guilty of paying kickbacks to doctors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18673220

Fine?

~$3 billion

Does the US government take cash?

GSK said in a statement it would pay the fines through existing cash resources.

This is straight out of The Simpsons. Maybe the US will build a monorail. Then again, that would constitute infrastructure, so I'm sure it would never make it past Congress.

Have people noticed that gas prices have been coming down a bit even though it's Summer? I'm no expert on gas prices, but isn't this a pretty major bucking of a trend? And if so, is weak demand driving it, or is something else?

Maybe it has to do with a housing recovery.

What? Its possible.

Actually, I simply think it's yet more evidence that we are at the peak of world oil production :P

Have people noticed that gas prices have been coming down a bit even though it's Summer? I'm no expert on gas prices, but isn't this a pretty major bucking of a trend? And if so, is weak demand driving it, or is something else?

No clue as to why it's happening, but it must be proof that Obama is a super-awesome president (using the republican logic that rising gas prices means he's really bad). Right?

Actually, I simply think it's yet more evidence that we are at the peak of world oil production :P

Exactly. Because prices will go down when the supply starts to drop.

I feel like I am being Poe's Law'd here.

Archived