Reading in July

kcf

Currently part way through J.M McDermott's second Dogsland novel, When We Were Executioners. I really enjoy and appreciate this author's multifaceted abilities-- the at times almost poetic prose, his narrative style, ability to evoke emotion and sympathy for the antagonists, could go on and on. Really impressive talent and books that suit me to a T.

I finished Lord of Chaos yesterday. I found this one much more enjoyable than Fires of Heaven. I'd forgotten how many things happen in this one.

Up next is a non-fiction book called Flying Cloud by David Shaw. He researches the record breaking voyage of Flying Cloud in 1851 and was navigated by a woman.

Finally read the third book in C S Freidmans Coldfire trilogy. Very entertaining and a good finish to the series.

Re-read the Hamiltons Commonwealth series.

Re-Reading Vernor Vinges Fire upon the Deep. Not my favourite of his, which is Deepness in the Sky, but I fancied it

Currently part way through J.M McDermott's second Dogsland novel, When We Were Executioners. I really enjoy and appreciate this author's multifaceted abilities-- the at times almost poetic prose, his narrative style, ability to evoke emotion and sympathy for the antagonists, could go on and on. Really impressive talent and books that suit me to a T.

I agree with everything you just said. Love his books. If you haven't read it yet, definitely get your hands on Last Dragon. I believe it was his first novel and it is just as good as The Dogsland trilogy novels.

I just started reading Zoo City. I had been avoiding it 'cause the premise seemed dumb, but the prose on the very first page had me smiling. Good writing here!

"Shielding my eyes – morning has broken and there's no picking up the pieces – I yank back the sheet and peel out of bed. Benoît doesn't so much as stir, with only his calloused feet sticking out from under the duvet like knots of driftwood."

"All it takes is one Afghan warlord to show up with a Penguin in a bulletproof vest, and everything science and religion thought they knew goes right out the window."

Present tense narration generally irritates me, but it's not bothering me much so far. We'll see how the story develops!

I really enjoyed Zoo City. It's got kind of an Elmore Leonard thing going on, without some of the things that gross me out about Leonard.

Finished RailseaThe ending felt rushed, but I liked it - the little bits of narrative fourth-wall breaking were fun, and the significance of the ampersands was kinda neat.

Reading Alice Hoffman's The Dovekeepers now - multiple POVs, set in ancient Judaea, some magic-type stuff going on. I'm liking it so far, but there are a couple of anachronisms that are bugging me (would folks at that time have referred to Italy outside of Rome as Italy?).

Real Life has been fucking with my reading, but I'm almost done with K.J. Parker's The Company, which is bloody brilliant.

The only thing i read of hers that I didn't like.

The only thing i read of hers that I didn't like.

I can actually see that. It's very, hrmmm, nihilist. But the kind of thing I love. I love reading about terrible people. I'm strange.

Finished Snow Crash last night. Ending was good but a bit... perfunctory but, then again, that's a Neal Stephenson ending in a nutshell.

Started Anathem this morning. Based on the first few pages, this is going to be a long read.

To be fair to Anathem, it does tell you exactly what you're getting yourself into right off the bat, what with the 24 page description of a clock.

I've been a bit stuck with Brin's Existence and have been reading - and really enjoying, for that value of enjoying - The Fate of Africa, and overview of post-independence Africa. It's obviously not particularly in depth, given the scope, but it's doing a good job at least broadly filling in the massive blanks I have in this regard (and generating a massive list of 'things to learn more about'.)

Just finished Steven Erikson's The Wurms of Blearmouth, the 5th Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novella. This could well be the most entertaining Malazan novella yet!

Check out the blog for the full review...

Patrick

To be fair to Anathem, it does tell you exactly what you're getting yourself into right off the bat, what with the 24 page description of a clock.

That is very true. :lol:

A Great And Terrible King:Edward I. Marc Morris.

Rather dry and uninvolving, it sketches over his life in strict chronological order and as a result reads like a resume. Useful though. I've got a completely different view of Edward now, no longer coloured by Patrick

Magoohans (admitedly wonderful) wildy inaccurate performance in Braveheart.

Starting a biography of Henry VII. Winter King by Thomas Penn. Already seems far more gripping and better written.

Archived