What is the Official Bolton Narrative of the WOTFK?

Time and again in ADWD the Freys are reminded that the North remembers. What is it supposed to remember about the Boltons? Roose's subjects are comprised of people who were at home during ACOK, not at war down south. Most don't know about Ramsay's hobbies but it's common knowledge that he married Lady Hornwood by force then starved her to death to take her lands. The North is meant to believe that Theon killed Bran and Rickon, then burned Winterfell, but at what point is Theon supposed to have defeated and killed the 2000 men Rodrik Cassel brought with him to take Winterfell back (Cerwyns, Tallharts, etc.)? They outnumbered him 100-to-1. How do they explain that? How do they account for the gap in the story between Ramsay assumed dead after being found with a peasant that he'd raped and murdered and him turning up with Bolton soliders to "save" Winterfell?

If Theon did what they say he did why does he get to give "Arya" away? The story is he murdered her brothers and razed her family's castle. If Jeyne is "Arya" why would she agree to give him a place of honor in her wedding? I know it's to lend credibility to the idea that Jeyne is Arya but isn't the larger, much more important deception that Theon is responsible for everything that happened at Winterfell in ACOK? It doesn't lend credibility to that to keep him as a pet who's allowed to freely walk the grounds and play father of the bride.

Is Roose not supposed to have had anything to do with the Red Wedding? If so, where was he at the time? Why did he make the Freys his allies after and march north with them? Roose could say he chose to bend the knee and let the Freys take all the blame but not when they're part of his army.

I know an answer to all of this is "It doesn't matter what other people believe. The Boltons/Freys/Dustins/Ryswells have the largest army. That's their narrative," but whenever there's dissent in the ranks on Roose's side it's directed against the Freys, not the Boltons. Why? The Lannisters and Tyrells don't care about who rules the North as long as that person pledges fealty and can bring peace. It's important to the Boltons that they have legitimacy when they can't count on having the largest army. Their WotFK narrative would be important to gaining that legitimacy. What is it? Make one up if you want, as long it isn't "Robb was a man-eating warg."

I believe their story is the Stark force turned on them and Robb and some of this men turned to wolves so they were forced to fight back and put them down. Of course I doubt many Northerns beleive this and like Manderly are just going along with it because the Freys have hostages. They blame Theon for the Sack of Winterfell and I do not think it is common knowledge that Theon had such a small force. Many in the North know how cruel Ramsay is but I doubt they can imagine him razing Winterfell while the Boltons were still allied with Stark forces. The North hates Theon and they likely hate seeing him at the wedding, but it is necessary that someone can verify Arya's identity.

Great question fraised by the OP, I don't have a good answer but its a great question. As others have said the north is made up of Bolton supporters and those that are biding their time, e.g. Manderly. The real story of what happened doesn't matter to either group.

Well, there are some things that give Roose plausible deniability for the Red Wedding

1. He was separate from Robb for all of the actual fighting. This makes it more believable that he might survive the slaughter/capture of the majority of the Northern lords with Robb. Perhaps claim that he arrived at the Twins with the remainder of his Host after the RW had already occured?

2. He was married to a Frey. This could give Lord Walder a reason to "spare" Roose even if he was at the Red Wedding.

Now all that said, my guess is that most of the Northmen believe Roose was in on the Red Wedding and knew about it beforehand, but not that he actually took part

War of the Five Kings.

I believe most (if not all) of the Northern lords believe Bolton was at least somewhat of a traitor given the rapidity with which he's awarded the position of Warden of the North, the Frey troops with him and the fact his troops apparently escape the RW almost entirely unscathed (especially as survivors from the sack of Winterfell are spreading the truth that it was Ramsay, not Theon, that was responsible). I'm guessing Bolton was hoping to pacify the North (both militarily and with the Ramsay-"Arya" wedding) quickly enough to quell immediate unrest.

Very good point. Sounds to me like you found a hole in GRRM's story. I do not have an answer for that either. Not that I really bought Ramsey's 200 or so men taking out

Cerwyns forces anyways. They were outnumbered three to one. Surprise attack or not, Cerwyn's forces were there looking for a battle. And Ramsey's forces had no land advantage or walls to hide behind. It's still possible Ramsey's forces might have won, but I do not think they'd have enough men left to threaten Theon after in a realistic environment. It's not like Ramsey had machine guns to blast away 500-1000 men before they knew what hit them. Only loosing 30 or so men.... I found it all rather unrealistic.

GRRM has wrote about 6000 pages give or take a thousand. There are bound to be a few things that just simply do not fit.

I also believe most of the north suspects the Bolten's are traders. Your point could be something that adds to that suspicion later on.

Very good point. Sounds to me like you found a hole in GRRM's story. I do not have an answer for that either. Not that I really bought Ramsey's 200 or so men taking out

Cerwyns forces anyways. They were outnumbered three to one. Surprise attack or not, Cerwyn's forces were there looking for a battle. And Ramsey's forces had no land advantage or walls to hide behind. It's still possible Ramsey's forces might have won, but I do not think they'd have enough men left to threaten Theon after in a realistic environment. It's not like Ramsey had machine guns to blast away 500-1000 men before they knew what hit them. Only loosing 30 or so men.... I found it all rather unrealistic.

GRRM has wrote about 6000 pages give or take a thousand. There are bound to be a few things that just simply do not fit.

I also believe most of the north suspects the Bolten's are traders. Your point could be something that adds to that suspicion later on.

They did not just take Ser Rodrik's forces by surprise. They joined them and then stabbed them in the backs. It would have created mass confusion if your own men start attacking you. Not to mention, they likely took out the commanding officers immeadiately. Ramsay's men were the only ones who knew what was going. Although I am surprised that no one escaped to tell the tale. That part seems a little unrealistic.

They did not just take Ser Rodrik's forces by surprise. They joined them and then stabbed them in the backs. It would have created mass confusion if your own men start attacking you. Not to mention, they likely took out the commanding officers immeadiately. Ramsay's men were the only ones who knew what was going. Although I am surprised that no one escaped to tell the tale. That part seems a little unrealistic.

Even in mass confusion they still would have lost way more men. Sorry, there nothing you can possibly write that will convince me that scene is realistic.

Just to put things into perspective. Even if Ramsey's men stood directly behind 200 of Rodrik's forces and was able to kill each of them in one blow, they would still have to kill anywhere from 400-700 more men.... :dunno:

Although I am surprised that no one escaped to tell the tale. That part seems a little unrealistic.

Stannis' forces managed to find survivors from the Battle of Winterfell in the Wolfswood. Likely, they didn't know who they could trust so they remained hidden.

And what about Robb's men that were captured at the RW? I mean, Roose was there ('Jaime Lannister sends his regards'); some (lots?) of Robb's men were captured and are/were being held hostages; Jaime tells Ryman Frey he wants these hostages back. Not one of them are aware of Roose's involvement?

Just to put things into perspective. Even if Ramsey's men stood directly behind 200 of Rodrik's forces and was able to kill each of them in one blow, they would still have to kill anywhere from 400-700 more men.... :dunno:

If they set traps and lit fires they could kill large amounts of soldiers without losing any men. They had access to Rodrik's camp because he thought they were friends so setting traps is possible.

With the right prepartion and choosing the right moment to attack, it is entirely realistic that Ramsay's force could take down a much larger one.

Although I am surprised that no one escaped to tell the tale. That part seems a little unrealistic.

Further to the previous reply, GRRM has specifically said that common soldiery from the Cassel / Cerwyn etc force did indeed escape.

This isn't a video game - well, it is, if the video game is Creative Assembly's Total War series. The morale of soldiers breaks and they run away. The instances of fighting forces - of any size - being wiped out to the last man are completely miniscule. What GRRM wrote is really not unrealistic at all.

If they set traps and lit fires they could kill large amounts of soldiers without losing any men. They had access to Rodrik's camp because he thought they were friends so setting traps is possible.

With the right prepartion and choosing the right moment to attack, it is entirely realistic that Ramsay's force could take down a much larger one.

Didn't read anything about traps being set. And again.. even if Ramsey's men did set traps I'm pretty they were not invisible when they set them. Rodrik's men were all blind to the traps being set right before their eyes and jumped in? Did they borrow land mines from the US Marine Corps?

Even in mass confusion they still would have lost way more men. Sorry, there nothing you can possibly write that will convince me that scene is realistic.

Most battles are decided if ten percent of a side are dead or wounded. It's worse if there is a lot of confusion and a lot of dead officers. The rest is mopping up. And Ramsays 600-odd are more than sufficient to kill 200+ of Rodriks ~2000 men.

Didn't read anything about traps being set. And again.. even if Ramsey's men did set traps I'm pretty they were not invisible when they set them. Rodrik's men were all blind to the traps being set right before their eyes and jumped in? Did they borrow land mines from the US Marine Core?

There weren't any traps set, you're right that's a bad explanation. It doesn't change the fact that what the book describes is not unbelievable in the slightest. It doesn't need explaining beyond what the book tells us.

Also, its Corps, not Core.

Boltons force was all mounted and all trained soldiers. That compared to a bunch of farmers who were on foot for the most part makes it realistic. As it said in the book, Rodridk's force was also unable to form up battle ranks against the Bolton focrce.

Taking this and what others have mentioned into consideration, this is a pretty realistic scene.

Most battles are decided if ten percent of a side are dead or wounded. It's worse if there is a lot of confusion and a lot of dead officers. The rest is mopping up. And Ramsays 600-odd are more than sufficient to kill 200+ of Rodriks ~2000 men.

Okay I'll give you that, but it also makes the hole in the story bigger. Ramsey was in his full Dread Fort armor (pink cloak and all) and even lifted his visor to show his face. So that's 1800 north men who know what happened at Winterfell...

I imagine that the Bolton story is that once Robb was dead, since there are no surviving Stark heirs, as the ranking commander of the Northern host he chose to bend the knee and secured pardons for the whole of the North.

I would guess that his story is the Freys are part of the pardon deal and his marriage to a Frey makes him more trusted by the Iron Throne. There is the logic that not one Northern House is asked to give up land or gold for revolting so Roose secured a good deal. The single land retribution from the Iron Throne is Winterfell goes to Ramsay.

Having said that I don't think a single Northman buys it-- not even the Dustins or Ryswells.

Archived