The Wonders Of Being A Woman In The World Of ASOIAF

RhaenysBee

Handmaids (if you are high born)... what I wouldn't give to not have to fight with my hair every morning! lol. :)

Also, there are multiple families that seem to accept the women stepping out of contrived gender roles (the Mormonts for one and Starks to an extent another). There are more who disagree (like Lannisters and Tarlys) but that is to be expected too.

So agree with the part about the hair. Having someone do your hair every morning...bliss!

I never understood why it was seen as a women opprssion to have an arranged marriage, last time I checked Ned, Robb, Edmure and even Tyrion did not have a choice either, the one I list got lucky with their wifes but can't wait to witness the reaction of the happy man who will marry Shireen...just saying (and if someone can explain it to me because I REALLY don't understand, I mean we know that woman aren't the only ones who would like to marry someone they love)

On topic now, as a woman you :

-don't have to prove yourself by killing someone

-don't have to risk your life on the battlefield (you also have less risks to lose an arm, a leg, being crippled, being showered in sweet boiloing oil)

-have real power (queen/highborn lady's men, guard, soldier) by basically doing nothing but stood there

-as a smallfolk, nobody will come one day and say "whoah, you are able to stand on your feet, come at war, you will be our trump card"

-you have more chance to getting raped instead of killed (I like to look at the "bright" side, being traumatised for life is still better than being dead no ?)

-if a one night shot leaves you pregnant and you are lucky enough to be a sociopath, you can sell your child (I don't know hom many it's worth but I would say at least one chicken, chicken make eggs, eggs are good)

-apparently, every Knight or gentleman wanna-be will do everything for you, so you can manipulate people (wall men mostly)

-if you are a red priest you can make shadow babies wich is pretty cool

that's all I can think of yet

Is this a joke?

I never understood why it was seen as a women opprssion to have an arranged marriage, last time I checked Ned, Robb, Edmure and even Tyrion did not have a choice either, the one I list got lucky with their wifes but can't wait to witness the reaction of the happy man who will marry Shireen...just saying (and if someone can explain it to me because I REALLY don't understand, I mean we know that woman aren't the only ones who would like to marry someone they love)

On topic now, as a woman you :

-don't have to prove yourself by killing someone

-don't have to risk your life on the battlefield (you also have less risks to lose an arm, a leg, being crippled, being showered in sweet boiloing oil)

-have real power (queen/highborn lady's men, guard, soldier) by basically doing nothing but stood there

-as a smallfolk, nobody will come one day and say "whoah, you are able to stand on your feet, come at war, you will be our trump card"

-you have more chance to getting raped instead of killed (I like to look at the "bright" side, being traumatised for life is still better than being dead no ?)

-if a one night shot leaves you pregnant and you are lucky enough to be a sociopath, you can sell your child (I don't know hom many it's worth but I would say at least one chicken, chicken make eggs, eggs are good)

-apparently, every Knight or gentleman wanna-be will do everything for you, so you can manipulate people (wall men mostly)

-if you are a red priest you can make shadow babies wich is pretty cool

that's all I can think of yet

Sweet Robin is a great example of everything you say about Westerosi men.

If you are highborn, I bet some of your dresses are really pretty. And there is a good chance you have your own horse...

Until you lose your maidenhead riding the horse and find yourself accused of treason. The dresses are still pretty though.

Normally, I wouldn't take a bite of this apple, but it's Friday and I feel like doing something out of character. Whatever world you inhabit, as John Lennon said, "Woman is the n****r of the world."

Normally, I wouldn't take a bite of this apple, but it's Friday and I feel like doing something out of character. Whatever world you inhabit, as John Lennon said, "Woman is the n****r of the world."

Exactly. That's why having your hair done every day by some one else is the only good part, and you only receive this treatment if you are born a noble.

Is this a joke?

wich part ? I will redo my post, feel free to unleash your wrath after that :

arranged marriage : your father choose who you marry, doesn't matter if you are a girl or a boy, you follow orders, depending on who you marry, both boys and girls can be harm, Sansa "married" Joffrey, she didn't like it, Joffrey married Margaery, he didn't like it. Sansa was married to an ugly dwarf, member of the family who slayed her family, Tommen was married at nine years old, Daenerys was sold to a barbarian rapist, Quentyn was sent all over the world, Daenerys didn't find him hot enough, Rhaego took care of that. So yes I don't understand when someone say "as a woman you can't choose who you marry" because as a man you can't choose either. I hope I didn't say something offending by stating that, if so, why ?

about the list :

-not a joke

-not a joke

-not a joke but a sad truth, you have power but if you are married you do nothing or should I say you can't do anything if your husband say you not to ? (Selyse does nothing (whining doesn't count), Cersei is a widow, Lysa too)

-true (men are forced to go at war if their lord want to)

-in time of war smallfolk get raped, killed or both, since those crime are comitted by soldiers, soldiers who are men, they kill men, rape women (like ironborn are doing), what is better ? I don't know, I assume being alive is

-joke (but eggs are good)

-not a joke (wasn't a knight who wanted to protect Brienne just because she was a woman ? yet this woman could have curbstomped this same man ))

-sex, two days of pregnancy and you got a baby shadow killer ? I think it's cool

but tell me, wich part offends you ? maybe i will be able to explain myself in a better way (if there is misunderstanding, there is still the possibility that you just think I'm an asshole, which would hurt my feelings)

Man may not have that much control over their marriages, but women almost NEVER have none.

As for the topic itself...

Well... I guess you can be born and Dorne? Otherwise you are really, really screwed.

Well as the men don't seem to live that longer, after your husband passes away you could always become a "Lord" or maybe who knows...a Queen?

But yeah the steryotype always involves marrying some older guy who's probably going to treat you like crap. Or you could be a female warrior...I find it quite sexy :blushing:

(though EVEN THEN) someone will try to get you married.

Really depends on what kind of woman you get to be.. .I mean if you're highborn, that's better than being some peasant dude. And you're probably better off in Dorne or in north of the Wall than anywhere else if rights in persons mean much to you...

Other than that... well, at least they can't cut your junk off to eunuchize you. Uh....

Okay come on the real truth is that being a woman in Westeros is about as much fun as being a chipmunk stuck on a nascar track.

wich part ? I will redo my post, feel free to unleash your wrath after that :

arranged marriage : your father choose who you marry, doesn't matter if you are a girl or a boy, you follow orders, depending on who you marry, both boys and girls can be harm, Sansa "married" Joffrey, she didn't like it, Joffrey married Margaery, he didn't like it. Sansa was married to an ugly dwarf, member of the family who slayed her family, Tommen was married at nine years old, Daenerys was sold to a barbarian rapist, Quentyn was sent all over the world, Daenerys didn't find him hot enough, Rhaego took care of that. So yes I don't understand when someone say "as a woman you can't choose who you marry" because as a man you can't choose either. I hope I didn't say something offending by stating that, if so, why ?

about the list :

-not a joke

-not a joke

-not a joke but a sad truth, you have power but if you are married you do nothing or should I say you can't do anything if your husband say you not to ? (Selyse does nothing (whining doesn't count), Cersei is a widow, Lysa too)

-true (men are forced to go at war if their lord want to)

-in time of war smallfolk get raped, killed or both, since those crime are comitted by soldiers, soldiers who are men, they kill men, rape women (like ironborn are doing), what is better ? I don't know, I assume being alive is

-joke (but eggs are good)

-not a joke (wasn't a knight who wanted to protect Brienne just because she was a woman ? yet this woman could have curbstomped this same man ))

-sex, two days of pregnancy and you got a baby shadow killer ? I think it's cool

but tell me, wich part offends you ? maybe i will be able to explain myself in a better way (if there is misunderstanding, there is still the possibility that you just think I'm an asshole, which would hurt my feelings)

Just off the top of my head, true you don't have to prove yourself by killing someone. No, instead, as a woman, you must prove yourself by being fertile and bearing sons, and if they aren't sons, you will be blamed and deemed inadequate.

True, high born women don't have as great a risk of being injured, maimed, etc. What you do have as a woman is an incredibly high mortality rate when it comes to childbirth. Should anything go wrong, medicine was not sufficiently advanced to handle it; therefore, you will die.

You don't have real power if your husband can fuck you or rape you any time he wants, and you have no recourse. A Westerosi woman (with the possible exception of Dorne) has non say over her body, her wants, or her desires; therefore, she can never have real power.

You mention one "wonder" that a Westerosi woman has as being more likely to be raped than killed. I'll grant you that death is final, but listing a "wonder" as rejoicing over the fact that while you may not die, you'll just be raped boggles the mind. Of course, most, but not all, Westerosi men are in danger of being killed, rather than raped, yet somehow I don't see a Westerosi man saying if only I were a woman, I'd just be raped instead.

Selling your child is not a wonder, whether man or woman.

Sandor, Jaime, and others go to great pains to teach us that not every knight is good. Do you think if Sansa said pretty please, the KG wouldn't have beat her? Or maybe if only Elia knew how to manipulate knights correctly (she didn't say pretty please with a cherry on top) that Ser Gregor wouldn't have raped or killed her?

Until you lose your maidenhead riding the horse and find yourself accused of treason. The dresses are still pretty though.

you know in RL middle ages the you-only-catch-unicorns-with-maidens-thing was a joke?

why

they considered both to be imaginary creatures

Man may not have that much control over their marriages, but women almost NEVER have none.

As for the topic itself...

Well... I guess you can be born and Dorne? Otherwise you are really, really screwed.

Noblemen have NO control over their marriages, whether men or women. Even the mighty Targaryen married who their sires ordered them to (Aegon V/Egg is cited as an exception in that he allowed his children to marry for love.

Are lemoncakes gender specific though?

There is that one sacred cake you see in DwD, which the Ghiscari only let women have before they marry and men never eat or see it.

This is a good point butterbumps!, there is no textual evidence to support the idea that lemoncakes are only for women. So, I that you could make the argument that men can eat them too.

Archived