Interesting lines on the re-read? (hindsight)

winterbird

'The night Was Dark, and he had a king to face', from last Jon Snow chapter in ASOS. It's similar to the R'hllor saying and makes me wonder if Stannis is the night's king as he is essentially replacing the, 'full of terrors', aspect . and since Jon Snow thinks, 'to face', it almost implies he is the one he must fight. Probably looking way to deeply into that line.

I noticed this on my reread of ACOK:

Summer had howled the day Bran had fallen, and for long after as he lay broken in his bed; Robb had told him so before he went away to war. Summer had mourned for him, and Shaggydog and Grey Wind hat joined him in his grief. And the night the bloody raven had brought word of his fathers death, the wolves had known that too.

The raven that brought the news of Ned's death was attacked by a hawk, but IIRC he arrived in the day. Remember Bran's dream in the night?

I love these hints. :bowdown:

Put R+L=J on there for me. Now that I'm reading GoT again I keep thinking to myself, "How did you not see this before?!"

same here.

i´m more sensible now on the rereads for certain topics, but sometimes i think just because they were pointet out to me... and on hindsight ti´s really - how the f*** could i miss this??

well on the reread there certain things which were just funny... like:

when tyrion was saying to Jon concerning BS's return: "give him time"

jon joking about becoming LC of the Watch.... stuff like that.

i liked this particularly: Jon to Arya: "Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle."

in AFFC, first Cercei POV:

she had a dream about Tyrion just before she was informed of Tywin's death.

[...]Until the dwarf appeared as if from nowhere, pointing at her and howling with laughter. The lords and ladies began to chuckle too, hiding their smiles behind their hands. Only then did the queen realize she was naked.

Horrified, she tried to cover herself with her hands. The barbs and blades of the Iron Throne bit into her flesh as she crouched to hide her shame. Blood ran red down her legs, as steel teeth gnawed at her buttocks. When she tried to stand, her foot slipped through a gap in the twisted metal. The more she struggled the more the throne engulfed her, tearing chunks of flesh from her breasts and belly, slicing at her arms and legs until they were slick and red, glistening.

And all the while her brother capered below, laughing.[...]

quite interesting in regard with the facts of ADWD... didn't saw where it goes though...

Hello, first time posting in the forum and my first re-read of AGOT (english is not my first language sorry for any grammar mistakes"

Maybe on Benjen's future (this is from Bran's POV):

"There's not a man on the Wall knows the haunted forest better than Benjen Stark. He'll find his way back."

"Well," said Yoren, "maybe he will and maybe he won't. Good men have gone into those woods before, and never come out."

All Bran could think of was Old Nan's story of the Others and the last hero, hounded through the white woods by dead men and spiders big as hounds. He was afraid for a moment, until he remembered how that story ended. "The children will help him," he blurted, "the children of the forest"

This is something that strikes me odd from the Others, we have never seen any children tranformed into wights and the fact that they took craster's newborn sons is also a clue, I ran into this quote in the prologue that mentions something about the Others and children as well:

“The camp is two miles farther on, over that ridge, hard beside a stream,” Will said. “I got close as I dared. There’s eight of them, men and women both. No children I could see. They put up a lean-to against the rock. The snow’s pretty well covered it now, but I could still make it out."

From Cersei, AFFC/ADWD:

[Qyburn] "Your Grace has the right to prove your innocence by battle. My queen, your champion stands ready. There is no man in all the Seven Kingdoms who can hope to stand against him. If you will only give the command..."

[Cersei] "The gods make japes of all our hopes and plans. I have a champion no man can defeat, but I am forbidden to make use of him. I am the queen, Qyburn, My honor can only be defended by a Sworn Brother of the Kingsguard."

....but Brienne is no man :)

From Cersei, AFFC/ADWD:

[Qyburn] "Your Grace has the right to prove your innocence by battle. My queen, your champion stands ready. There is no man in all the Seven Kingdoms who can hope to stand against him. If you will only give the command..."

[Cersei] "The gods make japes of all our hopes and plans. I have a champion no man can defeat, but I am forbidden to make use of him. I am the queen, Qyburn, My honor can only be defended by a Sworn Brother of the Kingsguard."

A little to RotK I think. But a dragon is no man either.

From Cersei, AFFC/ADWD:

Yay. Brienne is Eowyn reborn!

But seriously I don't think that GRRM will use a LOTR cliche directly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think someone pointed this out. I'm now on my re-read of aCoK, and here's a line from Tyrion's first chapter, Varys asks him if he's seen the red comet, after Tyrion answers, he says:

"In the streets, they call it the Red Messenger," Varys said. "They say it comes as a herald before a king, to warn of fire and blood to follow."

I immediately thought of fAegon. I squealed a bit to see the foreshadowing there directly from Varys so early on.

Re-reading AGOT and this passage was odd for me:

Sansa drifted to sleep as the moon rose, Arya several hours later, curling up

in the grass under Ned’s cloak. All through the dark hours he kept his vigil alone. When

dawn broke over the city, the dark red blooms of dragon’s breath surrounded the girls

where they lay. AGOT - Eddard Ch. 25

Possible foreshadowing?

In the middle of re-reading Song of Swords right now and I just found a line the Hound says to Arya after telling her they crossed the Trident not the Blackwater.

"Keep your mouth shut and do as I tell you, and maybe we'll even be on time for your uncle's bloody wedding."

I actually had to stop there for a moment and appreciate the swear. I never counted it as "foreshadowing" because well, he was just swearing. It wasn't a dream or a prophecy. But once you know what is going to happen it's just chilling to hear him phrase it like that.

Anyhow it amused me and I was wondering what lines other people have come to appreciate with the benefit of hindsight?

As soon as Greywind started snarling when passing under the gates I knew it was on. Plus Cat's first meeting with Lord Frey told all the attentive reader needs, with his attitude and snide remarks, he was going to betray them for whatever reason he saw fit.

I am just now doing my very first re-read of the entire series, so I will probably be in here a lot. A passage I just now came across in Ned I from AGoT.

"The crypt continued on into darkness ahead of them, but beyond this point the tombs were empty and unsealed; black holes waiting for their dead, waiting for him and his children. Ned did not like to think on that."

I'm sure Ned will eventually be returned. I wonder which of his other children will have the "honor" of resting beside him. Robb? Anyone else?

Also: I just now read he line about Tyrion casting a shadow across the yard and looking "tall as a King." Interesting that this line should be included in our very first introduction to the character and the very last line of the chapter. It certainly leaves quite an impression on the reader.

Also interesting that our introduction to Tyrion happens to come in Jon's first chapter as well ...

"You are wrong, Lady Catelyn." Brienne regarded her with eyes as blue as her armor. "Winter will never come for the likes of us. Should we die in battle, they will surely sing of us. In the songs all knights are gallant, all maids are beautiful, and the sun is always shining."

Can't help wondering if the Maid of Tarth thinks that if she does die heroically so that bards are singing songs about her a hundred years from now, she really will become beautiful like she's never been in life. After all, what bard's going to know or care that "Brienne the Beauty" was actually a term of mockery?

• 2 weeks later...

To Jimzipcode (back on page 2)

Could mean that Jon will stand beside Jamie in the coming Other battle -Jon stands "shoulder to shoulder" with a man who has lost a hand - interesting imagery! It continues my thought that Jaime and Jon will meet in the future, (although it is hard to believe as allies...unless Jaime returns with the real Arya back to Jon maybe? Hmm...)

I just noticed that in AGOT Tyrion was accused by Lysa of murdering the Hand of the King, and in ASOS he actually does.

Also in AGOT, when Sansa goes to see Cersei after her father's arrest, she notices that Cersei's jewelry makes it look like she's weeping blood. The mother of the king weeping blood, just like when Catelyn cut up her face at the RW.

When Jaime takes Ser Cloes' sword to fight Brienne, his chains make it so he has to hold it two handed, like a greatsword. Later Tywin melts down Ice, a greatsword, and makes half of it a gift for Jaime, who can't wield a sword properly anymore.

"Qhorin commands Stonesnake to tell Mormont all that Jon saw: that he faces giants and wargs and worse, and that the trees have eyes again."

This phrase is used twice during the section where Jon is on the ranging The trees have eyes again. well as we know by ADWD they truly do.

• 4 weeks later...

In Catelyn II in AGOT when Ned is deliberating over whether or not to accept the position of Hand of the King from Robert he says, "My father went south once, to answer the summons of a king. He never came home again." Obviously some foreshadowing considering Ned also never returns home once he leaves for KL.

I found this whole chapter very interesting because Ned clearly has the right instincts about not wanting to accept the position.

Archived