Is Quaithe Daenerys From The Future?

King Bolton 1990

It's the physical thing that's the sticking point. It's ok seeing into the future or the past, maybe even interacting with people through visions that way; but actually physically moving a body there is just too much of a stretch. I can't think of any fantasy story (apart from Terry Pratchett) where that rule has been breached - it's really much more of a science-fiction idea than a fantasy idea.

Also, it's just too powerful, it would render any sense of plot or development of things through time pointless if you had to worry about time-travellers popping up in the story somewhere.

Fair enough. I can see the point of this. I guess it just doesn't bother me. In fact, one of the things I'm really hoping for in the coming books is for Bran to be able to communicate with the past, and to see where that leads. If it's handled correctly, and doesn't just wipe away previous plot development for no reason, then I'm fine with it. I do however, like that idea far more than a physical being literally going to the past or the future themselves.

If it qualifies as fantasy, which I believe it does, Harry Potter did time travel quite well, and did justice to the story. Or at least, I thought so. It was explained well and rationally, and it was explained why it couldn't be used to solve every problem that arose. I liked how they did it.

In fact, one of the things I'm really hoping for in the coming books is for Bran to be able to communicate with the past, and to see where that leads.

Yeah I'd be cool with this too, so long as it's handled carefully.

Anyway, yeah, Quaithe is probably going to be quite important to Dany's story again, and I think some juicy "Fire" magical backstory to parallel Bran's "Ice" is coming too.

Yes, I've noted these points before, as does the entry for her in the new app, which does nothing if not fan the flames when it comes to her odd proficiency in the common tongue for someone supposedly not from Westeros:

Also quite curious how the color of her eyes are never mentioned even though they constitute the only part of her face that is visible.

Thanks for posting what the App says about Quaithe. Very interesting. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The point of Quaithe not telling Daenerys straight out where she has to go and what she has to do is that she has to pass through trials before she can reach her true destiny and possibly save the world but she cant do that without mental and pshyical hardening herself. Also for those of who do not like the idea of time travel in this series it is pretty much to late if you think of what Bran is up to looking back in time through the eyes of wierwoods and interacting with people in the past.

I agree with this, and I've even had a thought or two that Bran might end up trying to change the events of the future by going by through the weirwoods and interacting with those of the past. BR IIRC tells Bran that events shouldn't be tampered with, I don't think he tells Bran that he can't or that it's impossible, just that it's not a good idea and shouldn't be done?? Not sure if I remember that right.

I think you pointed out the gist of my objection when you said Yes, Quaithe being Dany would take this to a whole other level... as that's where the slippery slope into nonsense begins. For example, taking a baby switch theory (e.g., (f)Aegon) to a whole other level is a double baby switch theory(!), and so on. We've already likely established that there are characters with secret identities in the series. Does it then seem reasonable to propose, without evidence, that any random character actually has a secret identity? Point being, I think it's sensible to draw a line somewhere.

For the record, I'm not talking about the OP in the last two posts. Just stating that I don't think we should accept 'weird' theories simply because GRRM has set a 'weirdness' precedent in the story.

Just because you don't accept a "weird theory" doesn't make it not true when it comes to fruition. I agree with your premise(s), but I also remember the theories that 3EC = Bloodraven, skinchanging trees, etc. that were often considered too out there to be true (myself among them). Nowadays I keep more of a RAFO attitude towards these things.

I agree with this, and I've even had a thought or two that Bran might end up trying to change the events of the future by going by through the weirwoods and interacting with those of the past. BR IIRC tells Bran that events shouldn't be tampered with, I don't think he tells Bran that he can't or that it's impossible, just that it's not a good idea and shouldn't be done?? Not sure if I remember that right.

I got the same impression... that Bran possibly could affect events, but that it is a slippery slope (Butterfly Effect?)... so while doubtful, I don't think the time-travel idea from the OP is completely outside the realm of possibility.

I got the same impression... that Bran possibly could affect events, but that it is a slippery slope (Butterfly Effect?)... so while doubtful, I don't think the time-travel idea from the OP is completely outside the realm of possibility.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, but I think I would be disappointed to a degree if events were changed. As another poster pointed out, it would make the entire story somewhat pointless and take away from the overall story if we go back to point A and change everything...not sure how I would feel about it if it did happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not from the future. A little too scifi for me, . I've always liked the Shiera Seastar theory... with a little twist:

She wears a wooden red lacquered mask. If the wood was Weirwood, could it be bloodraven/Three Eyed Crow messages Dany is hearing from quaithe? He can influence through weriwood, and she and bloodraven were lovers...

The mask would have to be enchanted to make the theory work, but i think it's more plausible than time travel.

Maybe not from the future. A little too scifi for me, . I've always liked the Shiera Seastar theory... with a little twist:

She wears a wooden red lacquered mask. If the wood was Weirwood, could it be bloodraven/Three Eyed Crow messages Dany is hearing from quaithe? He can influence through weriwood, and she and bloodraven were lovers...

The mask would have to be enchanted to make the theory work, but i think it's more plausible than time travel.

Wearing a mask is a custom in Asshai.

But I think she wears it and claims that she's from Asshai, so that way no one would suspect her.

Bloodraven used the three eyed crow and Jojen to communicate with Bran and guide him until he arrived under ground north of the Wall. If Quaithe were Dany from future it would be a projection from glass candle or even Bloodraven. It also appears Bloodraven is warging Mormonts crow, perhaps he is warging or projecting Quaithe. Equaly possible she is projected through glass candle from source we are not yet aware of. We know there is one glass candle at the Citadel, but are there others still to be dicovered.

If it qualifies as fantasy, which I believe it does, Harry Potter did time travel quite well, and did justice to the story. Or at least, I thought so. It was explained well and rationally, and it was explained why it couldn't be used to solve every problem that arose. I liked how they did it.

I agree. Time turners are awesome. I would like to read something like that from GRRM.

I'm not allowed to say, just remember though, two months from now, if you see any shrimp at an all you can eat buffet pass them up.

Just saying.

Brilliant

But anyhow surely if it was future Dany she'd already know what she says to herself so she knows to say the exact same thing again..... like reading from a script

Although I actually disagree with the time travel thing too spacey

RE OP, it's an original idea but as this thread might show (I haven't read through all of the posts) it falls down under closer examination. I mean, what is future Daenerys' motivation to guide herself through what she has already done? And why does she need to guide her younger self if she got through everything without help the first time (presumably)?

Perhaps you could say that she is trying to change the future by guiding young Dany, but honestly I hope not. GRRM would have to have a REALLY good explanation to make time travel not seem like a convenient plot device.

Also regarding Quaithe's mask, I thought people from the Shadowlands were known for wearing them, anyway? It doesn't necessarily mean that she is 'hiding' her face.

Just my opinions :)

Archived