A Thread for Small Questions XX

Stubby

I imagine that in Westeros the pronunciation of certain words depends on your regional dialect. That is not to say that an individual's name doesn't have one correct pronunciation, just that, as is true in the real world, people will mis-pronounce things.

In the show the Tyrells are pronounced multiple ways. TIE-rell, tee-RELL, TEE-rell but my favorite is T-rell ( more of a tongue to the roof of your mouth movement than a full syllable)

I've played the GoT board game and had discussions with my friends on this topic for hours.

I always thought it was Ba-rath-ee-an but George really stresses the last symbol as on (opposite of off) so I've changed the way I say it in my mind after that.

I'm pretty sure that it went as follows: Ser Patrek wanted Val and was trying to get Selyse to marry Val off to him. Jon ridiculed the idea that Val would assent to this and mentioned the whole wildling tradition of how you "steal" a wildling woman when you want her. I assume there are certain nuances to how this is done, but Patrek did not get this, tried to break into Val's tower and steal her and Wun Wun killed him to defend her.

So it was a coincidence that Jon was attacked at the same time? There was no other connection between the events?

So it was a coincidence that Jon was attacked at the same time? There was no other connection between the events?

I personally think that it was, although there may be a few theories that it wasn't. I think the conspirators just took advantage of the situation, saw that people were distracted, and went for it.

I personally think that it was, although there may be a few theories that it wasn't. I think the conspirators just took advantage of the situation, saw that people were distracted, and went for it.

Ok, thanks!

Why did Ser Waymar Royce join the Night's Watch? He comes from a pretty prominent Vale family. I suspect it was because he was third in line, but idk.

I would say the same thing. He had no chance of inheriting so his folks shipped him off to the wall. Just like Benjen Stark.

There was a foster relationship there, a bond that Ned wouldn't have had with Dany.

If intermarriage counts as "kinslaying," then I'd say that just about everyone who goes to war in Westeros is guilty on some level.

I agree, but I think that only adds to the superstition of 'kinslaying is bad' in Westeros. Especially in the North where everyone has a tie to everyone.

Here's something I don't understand. Look at the story Dany is told about the coming of the pale mare:

Grey Worm began the tale. “He came out of the morning mists, a rider on a pale horse, dying. His mare was staggering as she approached the city gates, her sides pink with blood and lather, her eyes rolling with terror. Her rider called out, ‘She is burning, she is burning,’ and fell from the saddle. This one was sent for, and gave orders that the rider be brought to the Blue Graces. When your servants carried him inside the gates, he cried out again, ‘She is burning.’ Under his tokar he was a skeleton, all bones and fevered flesh.”

1) Why would this person have been wearing a tokar? He came from Astapor, the place whose tokar-wearing nobility were butchered by the Unsullied. I suppose the new leaders who sprang up after Dany left could have taken up the practice, but that just seems so bizarre, given the association between the tokars and the fates of the Astapori nobility.

2) How would this person have been capable of wearing a tokar while riding a horse? En route to her wedding, Dany wants to ride her silver, but is reminded by Missandei that wearing a tokar prevents her from riding a horse. So how could this rider have been wearing a tokar while riding a horse?

Here's something I don't understand. Look at the story Dany is told about the coming of the pale mare:

So how could this rider have been wearing a tokar while riding a horse?

Badly.

You have to have one hand free to hold the thing together IIRC so I imagine he wasnt wearing it properly, to be delicate

1) Why would this person have been wearing a tokar? He came from Astapor, the place whose tokar-wearing nobility were butchered by the Unsullied.

I'm sure that the new regime in Astapor was quick to adopt the tokar, just like it was quick to adopt the other trappings of the prevoius one. Remember: "Four legs good, two legs better!";)

2) How would this person have been capable of wearing a tokar while riding a horse?

I suppose he wasn't wearing it properly. In essence, a tokar is just a piece of cloth. If you need something to wrap yourself in while riding a horse, it shoud work. It won't be a proper tokar, but is should work.

How important are the Egg and Dunk tales in relations to the current story?

I was introduced to the series in early May and just completed my second reading of books one through four. From my understanding these stories take place around 80 years or before AGOT. Can I save them for a rainy day or will I be missing much if I move onto a Dance without having read these Tales?

Thanks for any advice.

I was introduced to the series in early May and just completed my second reading of books one through four. From my understanding these stories take place around 80 years or before AGOT. Can I save them for a rainy day or will I be missing much if I move onto a Dance without having read these Tales?

Thanks for any advice.

The story will still make sense for you if you read ADWD before reading the Dunk and Egg stories. But it is just that if you read the Dunk and Egg stories first, there may be a few little things in ADWD that will have more significance for you. Some fun kind of "a-ha!" moments. But you can also have those moments in retrospect, if you read D&E after ADWD.

Personally, I'd recommend reading D&E first if you have the chance to, but don't sweat it if you aren't able to do that.

Thanks for any advice.

I would read the D&E stories before ADwD. I read ADwD first, and then later heard about the D&E stories. So I read the D&E stories, and then went back and read ADwD, and a lot of stuff made more sense(and not just because I was reading ADwD for the second time).

The D&E stories are a quick fun read, you will enjoy them, and they really do give a lot of history to the present day story.

To me, they aren't just stories good for a rainy day, they are worth reading on any day, and anything that could give you an advantage in understanding ADwD, is worth doing.

what were LF's motivations for lying to Cat about who owned the dagger used in Bran's attempted murder? was this ever revealed?

thanks

To create conflict between the Starks and the Lannisters, which is exactly what happened, and in my opinion, to get Ned killed, so he could pursue his crush on Cat, or, if that wasn't going to happen, on Sansa.

what were LF's motivations for lying to Cat about who owned the dagger used in Bran's attempted murder? was this ever revealed?

thanks

He wanted to turn the Starks and the Lannisters against each other and spark the war. There's also a good idea that he's the one who convinced Joffrey to kill Ned, maybe even thinking that with Ned dead, he'd be free to marry Catelyn.

What happened to the crowns of Aegon I and Jaehaerys I? At last report, they were worn by Daeron I and Rhaenyra respectively, so the most logical presumption is that they were lost in Dorne/stolen or destroyed, but is there any concrete confirmation of this?

Thanks for any advice.

They are prequels written AFTER asoiaf. So it is additional information that wasnt actually conceived of when the books were put together. Or more correctly I should say that aSoIaF stands alone without them but they do put in some background that is fun to know. They are not necessary.

They are at a young adult level, liek The Ice Dragon so nothing to beat your skull on

Archived