A Thread for Small Questions XX

Stubby

I don't know what it has to do with the series, but they obviously affect your speed, as they increase the air friction.

Perhaps they can speed you up, if you're moving the same direction as the wind, but definitely in a battle they are not the most useful piece of cloth (the only possible advantage I can think of is that your opponent's weapon gets stuck in it).

This is more depressing than it should be.

One thing I would recommend is picking a POV and rereading their entire arc, and then doing it with another, and then another. This is especially useful for lengthy POVs like Jon, Sansa, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, etc. You get a better feel for their individual threads because you're not getting into a "groove" and then taken out of it by the POV switching.

I highly recommend this too.

Everyone who watches movies and/or cartoons knows that for superheroes capes do not get in the way. In fact, they help with balance during flight/leaping, etc. and add a certain flair and increase the apparent size of the superhero.

If you are not a superhero, and have a cape like the KG for instance, it is made of wool and doesnt really fly off the back during fights due to its design. As the Hound showed when he gave his to sansa, they are tear away. so, no worries.

I've sort of asked this before, but just stumbled across some quotes in aDwD. Exactly how aware is Jon that he's warging Ghost? I initially thought he was aware, and was bothered how little he seems to remark on it.......then in his second chapter in aDwD:

"For once, he did not dream he was a wolf."

Dream he was A wolf. This doesn't sound like he's completely made the connection that it's Ghost. But in his first chapter:

"Ghost knows that Grey Wind is dead"

....which points to him knowing exactly what's going on. So I'm not sure whether it's intentionally vague to represent his semi-conscious awareness, or just badly explained? It really seems like warging would be quite a profound experience that you'd be deeply affected by, not just something you ignore and never think about.

I've sort of asked this before, but just stumbled across some quotes in aDwD. Exactly how aware is Jon that he's warging Ghost? I initially thought he was aware, and was bothered how little he seems to remark on it.......then in his second chapter in aDwD:

"For once, he did not dream he was a wolf."

Dream he was A wolf. This doesn't sound like he's completely made the connection that it's Ghost. But in his first chapter:

"Ghost knows that Grey Wind is dead"

....which points to him knowing exactly what's going on. So I'm not sure whether it's intentionally vague to represent his semi-conscious awareness, or just badly explained? It really seems like warging would be quite a profound experience that you'd be deeply affected by, not just something you ignore and never think about.

He knows, he feels it. But he doesn't fully control it yet.

From another Jon chapter in ADwD, when they take the new recruits to make their vows in the weirwood grove beyond the Wall:

"Jon smelled Tom Barleycorn before he saw him. Or was it Ghost who smelled him? Of late, Jon Snow sometimes felt as if he and the direwolf were one, even awake."

@apple martini

When you say read 1 POV thru, are you saying read (lets say) Bran starting in aGoT then read aCoK ect or each one thru 1 book then on to the next POV in that book?

After I finish the book I'm currently reading and the 2nd and 3rd D&E I am going to reread aGoT. I saw your advice earlier in the post thought I give it a try. Just want to understander what you where saying.

@apple martini

When you say read 1 POV thru, are you saying read (lets say) Bran starting in aGoT then read aCoK ect or each one thru 1 book then on to the next POV in that book?

I'm saying, read each POV as if it's a single narrative across all of the books. So if you read Bran in GoT, continue on reading Bran's chapters in Clash, Storm and Dragons. Then pick another POV, like Jon, and then all of his chapters in all of the books. And so on and so forth until you've read through every POV's arc. It really helps you get a better sense of character development on an individual level.

Can anyone offer any insight into the following passage from a Clash?

Catelyn is questioning Jaime in his cell at Riverrun, and Jaime says:

"I made no such claim. The Starks were nothing to me. I will say I find it passing odd that I am loved by one for a for a kindness I never did and reviled by so many for my finest act."

What Stark loved Jaime for a perceived act of kindess? Its like to be something completly obvious, but I can't seem to puzzle it out. Thanks

"I made no such claim. The Starks were nothing to me. I will say I find it passing odd that I am loved by one for a for a kindness I never did and reviled by so many for my finest act."

What Stark loved Jaime for a perceived act of kindess? Its like to be something completly obvious, but I can't seem to puzzle it out. Thanks

I'm pretty sure the one that loves him is not a Stark, but Tyrion.

It's Tyrion, who loves him because he thinks he tried to do something "nice" for him (i.e., arrange for him to lose his virginity). This is all but confirmed in ASOS, when Jaime thinks to himself that Tyrion "loved him for a lie."

It's Tyrion, who loves him because he thinks he tried to do something "nice" for him (i.e., arrange for him to lose his virginity). This is all but confirmed in ASOS, when Jaime thinks to himself that Tyrion "loved him for a lie."

If you had any idea how much time I'd spent on this...I read the passage over and over, skimmed through all of Jaimes povs looking for some recollections of a loving Stark, never even considering Tyrion, even though I new apout the lie. I quess I was thrown off by the quick change up. Which, I'm sad to say shows that I am not nearly sharp enough for this series. Thanks for you swift reply.

Was Dany the product of rape?

Presumably, yes. Aerys raped Rhaella (quite violently) after becoming aroused by burning alive one of his former Hands (was it Chelsted?). Shortly thereafter Aerys sent Rhaella and Viserys to Dragonstone, where Rhaella gave birth to Dany nine months later. It was also said that Aerys and Rhaella almost never had sexual relations and that Aerys only became aroused by fire, so presumably that was their only sexual encounter for some time.

Who comes first in the line of succession, a legitimised older bastard son or a younger true one?

When a bastard is legitimised he is legit, as if he was trueborn. And we know that once legitimised it can't be undone, as Catelyn tells Robb when he talks to her about his will.

ETA ... as I am writing this ... Robert acknowledged Edric Storm as his son, but did not made him 'legit' in the sense of that Edric carried his name or was his heir. So there were more actions needed, as in Robb's will, where he as King of the North made Jon legit and as Lord of Winterfell named him as his heir, surpassing Sansa. So I guess two statements are necessary.

ETA2 In the case of Robb there was no younger trueborn son alive (or so Robb thought at that moment). I suppose that if you make a bastard son legit, acknowledge him as your son and name him as your heir, this would not please the House of the spouse that gave you the younger son though. I suppose a third act would be needed, to disinherit the younger son. You would probably had to have a good reason for this, because of what we know about Tywin not finding cause for disinheriting Tyrion and nor Randyll Tarly for disinheriting Sam.

edited for clarity and poor English

where can I find the thread about the pregnant Jeyne Westerling? Rob's trueborn heir .

I've read somewhere that the daughters of Lady Westerling were switched, because Jaimy described Jeyne diffirent than Catelyn did.

Archived