A Thread for Small Questions XX

Stubby

Younger.

When Jojen tells Bran the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree he describes Benjen as the 'wolf pup'.

From ASoS:

“A wolf on four legs, or two?”

“Two,” said Meera. “The she-wolf laid into the squires with a tourney sword, scattering them all. The crannogman was bruised and bloodied, so she took him back to her lair to clean his cuts and bind them up with linen. There he met her pack brothers: the wild wolf who led them (Brandon), the quiet wolf beside him (Eddard), and the pup who was youngest of the four (Benjen).

Ok! Thanks. I was confused by the wiki.

Thank you both. But are we sure? The wiki places him before Lyanna and in every other family tree the siblings are depicted from older to younger?

Is there a reference in the books?

Did you read my post?

Is the Knight of Laughing Tree Howland Reed?

No one knows for sure. There are several theories; that he is Howland Reed is one of them. Another, maybe more popular theory, is that it's Lyanna. There are a few threads about it, one of them quite recent. I'll post the link here when I find it.

Here it is.

Gendry is significantly older, I think, at least 5-6 years.

Are you sure? Do you remember where to find a reference in the text? I mean, I'm sure Gendry is older, and I would guess his age at around 15. And I'd say Edric is about 12.

Ok, this is from the appendix, AFfC:

—EDRIC STORM, his bastard nephew, King Robert’s son by Lady Delena Florent, a boy of twelve, sailing the narrow sea on the Mad Prendos

Can't find a specific DoB for Gendry. Wiki says 'around 285AL' which puts him at 15-16.

Here is where Eddard is introduced to Gendry in Game:

The master called over a tall lad about Robb's age, his arms and chest corded with muscle. "This is Lord Stark, the new Hand of the King," he told him as the boy looked at Ned through sullen blue eyes and pushed back sweat-soaked hair with his fingers.

Thick hair, shaggy and unkempt and black as ink. The shadow of a new beard darkened his jaw. "This is Gendry. Strong for his age, and he works hard.

Robb was 14 in Game and Gendry looks the same age, but was probably younger.

Here is where Eddard is introduced to Gendry in Game:

Robb was 14 in Game and Gendry looks the same age, but was probably younger.

Yeah. If the wiki is right-ish and he was born in 285AL he'd be 13-14 when Eddard met him and 15-16 now.

I don't subscribe to the Jojen paste myself, but a lot of people do. :)

It was well-argued.

I have another question - I read it on a post, and no one seemed to object: Regarding the Ides of Marsh, does Ghost make noise? I cannot find evidence of "noise" - just baring teeth, fur stiffening, charging, behaving nervously . . .

Thanks

It was well-argued.

I have another question - I read it on a post, and no one seemed to object: Regarding the Ides of Marsh, does Ghost make noise? I cannot find evidence of "noise" - just baring teeth, fur stiffening, charging, behaving nervously . . .

Thanks

No he is the silent one. There is a specific statement about this somewhere. That's why I was SMAK HEAD when someone mentioned this howling in Jon's last scene

Isn't jojen a greenseer?

If so, is it not possible he dreamt what happened?

No he is not. He has green dreams but is not a greenseer. That's why he encouraged Bran to go north to someone who was a greenseer.

This has probably been addressed, but with so much spec around here about Winterfell and its crypts, my google fu is failing me:

Winterfell sits on hot springs powerful enough to keep the castle warm through winter. Yet in AGOT when Ned & Robert go down into the crypts, Ned thinks about how it's always so cold down there. How is that possible? I don't know much about hot springs--does the temperature difference make sense?

This has probably been addressed, but with so much spec around here about Winterfell and its crypts, my google fu is failing me:

Winterfell sits on hot springs powerful enough to keep the castle warm through winter. Yet in AGOT when Ned & Robert go down into the crypts, Ned thinks about how it's always so cold down there. How is that possible? I don't know much about hot springs--does the temperature difference make sense?

The water from the hot springs is pumped throughout the castle through a complicated plumbing system. It is this system that makes Winterfell warm, and not merely the sheer hotness of the springs. Presumably the crypt is not a part of this system, so it doesn't get heated by the springs.

It's also intersting that in ADwD Theon remarks how it seems warmer down in the crypts than it is outside. He thinks something along the lines of, 'inot warm, never warm; but not as bitter cold as outside'. And of course, in the summer it's much cooler down there. It's almost as if the crypts are thermally isolated.

This is a property of all underground caves and dwellings. When you go to about 6 meters below the surface the soil and rock above acts as a very good insulator. In the summer it will seem cool down there and in the winter it will seem warm. It is really just a constant temperature but the difference from the outside temp is what accounts for the marked "change" in temperature. This is why cellars are good for storing wine; pretty much a constant temp year round.

Now if the ground freezes during a "long night" that is a different story but I think that is where the hot springs come into play.

Archived