What one thing would you improve in the tv series in season 3 if you could!

The Hound of Ulster

Stop making up characters, and have a 50/50 nudity rule (why are there so many scenes where the women are totally nude and the men totally dressed?).

Also, ease up on Gendry's eyeliner. And get Margaery some better dresses.

As much as I adore the visuals and find the show incredibly beautiful to look at... I'd improve some of the costumes and - especially - the wigs. I love the armor design and the outfits in general but I LOATHED the hilariously impractical breastplate/corset thingy Cersei was wearing for Blackwater, and some of Dany's outfits (the ones that tried to incorporate a Dothraki look in Quarth mostly) were a little questionable, not to mention both beautiful ladies deserve better hair, eeek.

I loved Melisandre's wig, especially during the scene where she does it with Stannis.

It doesn't look realistic, but neither does Melisandre's description in the book. If I had a girlfriend I'd make her wear a wig like that. Oops, what did I just say.......

And get Margaery some better dresses.

No, no and No!!!!! Do NOT get Margaery some better dresses. I loved the sluttiness, impracticality and sheer ridiculousness of her dresses and would like to see more of them. This is a fantasy world, after all.

Stop making up characters, and have a 50/50 nudity rule (why are there so many scenes where the women are totally nude and the men totally dressed?).

Also, ease up on Gendry's eyeliner. And get Margaery some better dresses.

ok we will trade u sam, varys and the greatjohnson for more Margery, Dany and Talisa

deal?

Jon stops gaping with his mouth open all the time.

Ugh, THIS. He always looks so gormless. He made me hate Jon. Also, WASH YOUR HAIR, SON. I know Kit says he's trying to be all ~method, but we know he's just a hipster. If Ygritte can have conditioned hair, you can use shampoo.

I don't mind seeing Marg naked as long as there is no more Theon, Hodor and Pycelle peen, EVER again, AND we get some naked Gendry.

Well for one, I wouldn't mind if they do a flashback sequence when Jaime tells Brienne how and why he killed The Mad King. There has been no flashback sequences so far in the show when I think they could have done one for the Tower of Joy and the Battle of the Trident. I don't know, maybe I just really want to see Jaime entering the throne room in his armor with a bloody sword and stab Aerys in the back before sitting down on the Iron Throne.

And though this is probably season 4 stuff I really, really, really hope that they bring Conan Stevens back as Gregor for his Red Viper showdown.

Stop screwing up the characterization.

You've supposedly read the books and you have GRRM himself as a creative consultant, so there's no excuse for this shit. Jon, Robb, Brienne, Cersei, Jaime, "Talisa"... you're butchering these characters to the point where ASOIAF fans can't even recognize this adaptation. Stick to the script and that way no one gets hurt.

Stop screwing up the characterization.

You've supposedly read the books and you have GRRM himself as a creative consultant, so there's no excuse for this shit. Jon, Robb, Brienne, Cersei, Jaime, "Talisa"... you're butchering these characters to the point where ASOIAF fans can't even recognize this adaptation. Stick to the script and that way no one gets hurt.

Hello extremely vocal minority of the fandom. Nice to see that this broken record hasn't stopped turning. Your hyperbole and overreaction to everything that isn't a word for word translation of the novels never, ever gets old. Trust me that everyone really, really enjoys hearing about your extreme dissatisfaction constantly with little else to add to the conversation.

Oh and thanks for speaking for all fans of the books and grouping everyone together because I'm sure the millions and millions of people who watch this show and enjoy the books feel exactly the way you and your buddies do.

you're butchering these characters to the point where ASOIAF fans can't even recognize this adaptation

Please don't lump all fans in with your extreme view. Despite some faults, there are plenty of ASoIaF fans who do see this as a good adaptation including for the most part the characters too.

If you are quoting Cersei and Brienne as butchered characters then I think you are somewhat blinkered. Seriously? Butchered?

Hello extremely vocal minority of the fandom. Nice to see that this broken record hasn't stopped turning.

Wow, straight out with the argumentum ad populum. No messing about here.

Your hyperbole and overreaction to everything that isn't a word for word translation of the novels never, ever gets old.

Oh, irony.

You accuse me of exaggerating whilst falling on such a lame strawman. Happens everytime anyone has the gall to question the fidelity of the show.

Trust me that everyone really, really enjoys hearing about your extreme dissatisfaction constantly with little else to add to the conversation.

You're right, I'd be better suited bitching people out for having an opinion.

Oh and thanks for speaking for all fans of the books and grouping everyone together because I'm sure the millions and millions of people who watch this show and enjoy the books feel exactly the way you and your buddies do.

Anytime, pardner!

Please don't lump all fans in with your extreme view. Despite some faults, there are plenty of ASoIaF fans who do see this as a good adaptation including for the most part the characters too.

Quit being such a fanboy. Yes, a fanboy, because it's only that I'm being critical of the show that you're getting your panties in a bunch. If you can't handle an opposite opinion then perhaps forums aren't the best place for you.

If you are quoting Cersei and Brienne as butchered characters then I think you are somewhat blinkered. Seriously? Butchered?

Cersei's basically been bowdlerized. She loved Robert once, was heartbroken that she lost his child, they made Joffrey the bastard-killer, she gets philosophical about their "sins" bawwww etc. That's not Cersei. The problem is they want to make her more sympathetic whilst keeping the super-bitchiness, and it patently doesn't work. Her character's a mess.

Brienne? Yup. Or her new name - the T800. Bitch slaughters soldiers at the drop of the hat and betrays the idealism and naivety that was the linchpin of her character in the books. I don't see how the dynamic between her and Jaime is even going to work now.

Well as a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, I feel I'm extremely lucky to have this adaptation the way it is.

Jurassic Park is a violent science fiction/horror novel, and I remember reading it when it came out thinking "this would be an amazing, scary R-rated movie!" and then when Spielberg made the movie, he turned it into a kid-friendly PG-13 action movie that was more E.T. than Jaws. It wasn't really like the book despite having the basic story and some events from it. Most of the characters weren't really the same despite having some of the same names, and a lot of the best stuff was left out for budget reasons.

But guess what? I really liked it. It was very different from one of my favorite books, but it stands on its own as an entertaining movie. I own the movie and watch it every once in a while, and I still have the book which I've reread a few times and the experience is still the same as when I read it before the movie came out.

Game of Thrones is much more true to its source material. And not only is it not a watered down PG-13 movie (the best we could have hoped for is a trilogy in that case) with most of the best stuff cut out, it's an exciting, violent, sexy HBO series with an excellent cast who mostly embody the characters from the novels very well, fantastic production design and after next season it will be 30 hours long with plans to continue for five more seasons (that's 50 more hours) and most of the best stuff is included, even down to some of the dialogue. One of the writers even said on the blu-ray commentary that when he writes his episodes, quite often he lifts whole sections out of the books.

Yeah, some things are a little different. Some things have been cut for time/budget reasons. But most of it's there, most of the characters have the same motivations, and everyone is where they need to be to continue the story as it's laid out on the novels.

On its own it's an amazing show, and as an adaptation into another medium, I don't think there has ever been anything like this that has been so true to the source material. Think about all the awful adaptations of great books there have been (Sphere and Timeline come to mind) and imagine what we could have gotten.

I think the people who get so upset over things like Jon Snow not being as amazingly competent (yet) as he is in the books, or Jeyne Westerling being replaced by Talisa (who has the same function but way more personality and character development), Robb getting married in a sept instead of a godswood (I don't even remember whether that happened in the book) or Arya being Tywin's cupbearer instead of Roose Bolton's are really looking a gift horse in the mouth. Being a little disappointed is one thing, but getting so angry and calling it horrible and poorly written is ridiculous.

You can enjoy both on their own merits, and enjoy the things from the books that have come alive (of which there are very many).

Archived