The Heart Has Reasons, of Which Reason Knows Nothing

Winter's Knight

Just woke up from a monster nap, look at this Cersei love fest! yikes. I can't help but shudder friends. Can we still debate Cersei on this thread or is there a new one?

Let's wait and see if WK comes up with an OP. It'd be rude to derail this one further I think.

ETA: lol this is just how I feel with the Stannis love threads. :P I just look them over going "...why"

Hah understandable, if this board ever marched in step to any one character I fear the universe would implode. I'll resist further thread derailment, just see if WK makes another thread. Btw every time I type "WK" i really wanna type "BK", for all her insightful/intelligent posts her user name abbreviated makes me think of cheeseburgers. if it makes you guys feel any better I don't think Cersei's gonna die or anything. For some reason she comes across as pretty bulletproof.

I have great faith in our dear Winter's Knight. She has a way with words, a way that almost makes me feel ensorcled to support her theory. :)

One more post of thread derailment from me and then I'll be quiet until WK has the OP up. But, I gotta say that I agree with this. With Winter's Knight's thread, every new topic I feel as if the only thing left to do is reply with an "I agree" because it feels like there just isn't much else to say.

I think she does the best OPs on the board really.

One more post of thread derailment from me and then I'll be quiet until WK has the OP up. But, I gotta say that I agree with this. With Winter's Knight's thread, every new topic I feel as if the only thing left to do is reply with an "I agree" because it feels like there just isn't much else to say.

Hey now! I once made a thread about a magic potion that could revive a character you really liked it, and the thread was locked after a user said they would have sex with Walder Frey to save their favorite characters life. TELL ME THAT WASN'T HARD HITTING LITERARY ANALYSIS.

Also WK's hypothetical romance threads always make me a chuckle with a mix of "ya know...hmmm....now that you mention it....maybe!"

Poor Winter's Knight. We keep derailing her thread, but it just cannot be helped. The heart has reasons. :P

I've never started a thread of my own because I'm good at coming up with ideas but not good at presenting them. I've often though of dumping my unorganized ideas on WK and having her write and start the thread for me.

Poor Winter's Knight. We keep derailing her thread, but it just cannot be helped. The heart has reasons. :P

I've never started a thread of my own because I'm good at coming up with ideas but not good at presenting them. I've often though of dumping my unorganized ideas on WK and having her write and start the thread for me.

I'd be honoured-I already do that for Kitty occasionally.

Last one then I'll shut up. Or make a new thread-depends on how quickly my coffee runs out.

This is yet another example of narrative deception-a clearly hostile party tells Tyrion what sounds like an almost cartoonish tale of childhood cruelty. Even Tyrion is half-disbelieving-he doesn't recall her being cruel to him growing up, for instance. If she was in the habit of humiliating and hurting him in front of others, surely he'd have recalled t?

Yet both here and when Varys tells him that Cersei ordered the death of the bastards, he never thinks, "Oh, she's doing it again" or "I should have known".

Cersei does recall in her POV being upset for something she read about Baelor the Blessed and going to the nursery to pinch Tyrion to make him cry.

Doesn't mention the baby sausage, but it could have easily happened.

I'd be honoured-I already do that for Kitty occasionally.

Yippee! :) :) (insert all of the excited emoticons here)

This makes me really happy. I keep tossing my ideas into the trash. Next one that I get, I'll collect my info and send it to you to make a brilliant presentation. I would send you baked goods, too, if I could. Too bad there isn't an emoticon that tastes and smells like cookies.

I'm just answering the OP (too tired to read all these pages, will read later).

I have a deep affection and respect for Mellisandre. There's always that guy in the enemy camp you can't wish but he was on your side, because of his/her command and charisma. She's intelligent, resourceful, a good politician, stands on principle.... if only she was an atheist instead that fucking R'hllor, or at least on the side of old gods...

Though I've never considered myself a Stannis fan, I've liked him since the beginning of Clash and I tend to blame all the wrong he does on Melisandre.

On the other hand, Jaime could save King's Landing another 50 times, I still wouldn't like him.Though it has to do with flinging a child out of a window and hardly making amends for it, so, I'm not sure it's completely irrational.

I don't think so... I really like Jaime, Davos, Stannis, Jon ..... many more smaller characters, but I do have reasons to do for all of them. It's not like I like Ramsay Snow... yeah, that would be something according to the topic.

Catelyn. I adore her. Also, I constantly have to force myself to not become a Cersei apologist (I hate nothing worse than character apologism) because of how I feel about her. I should add Stannis to my list too. I have to keep myself from slipping down the slippery slope of Stannis apologism as well. Dany used to be on this list once and I still have a soft spot for her but I don't really feel that irrational tug of needing to defend her as I do with Cat, Cersei, or Stannis.

I'd say that all of the characters are hugely flawed and do things which are morally repellent to a modern reader. Without exception. This is both a result of Martin being cynical and because of the grimdark medieval period hes representing. Because of these things, rationally, you shouldn't like any of these people and most of them would be put in jail or the Hague for war crimes. Even "good" characters like the Starks are oppressing the people by holding them in a state of ignorant dependence on an unelected aristocracy and subjecting them to oppressive, violent and arbitrary rule. As a society Westeros is also backwards socially and intellectually. Anti-enlightenment, anti-learning and even down-right perverse in certain regards. Reading the book requires the reader to essentially forget a lot of these things. These are not nice people and this is not a nice world; even at the best of times.

But from a romantic/awesomeness perspective you can like the characters on their own merits and want them to suceed. I certainly want Dany to suceed even though I don't approve of arbitrary government and could quote an 18th century enlightenment author about why Dany has no "right" to the throne. The whole queen in exile with dragons trying to get her Kingdom back is just too awesome a premise. :D

Archived