Red Wedding 2.0?

SkyBry

As much as we all want Lord Walder to die at some point, will he be there? He is old and I'm sure travel will be slow and hard. I think Black Walder will end up in control of the Freys, and he'll be as much a bastard as Lord Walder...

I think there will be a Red Wedding Part 2, but I don't know how it will happen, and the Blackfish will take control of Riverrun. Unless Edmure was freed on the way to Casterly Rock, then he will probably be killed for his uncles actions.

The BWB is definetely planning something at Riverrun but I don't remember anything about a wedding. It could just be some sort of celebration feast that wipes out a large number of Freys. The sort of thing that will make the Freys realize that nothing they do is actually safe. Tom o Sevens is up to something and it would be a fitting revenge for UnCat to repay the Frey's in kind.

I hope a RW 2 doesn't happen, even if it's the bad guys who we hate that get massacred.

1. It won't be as shocking as the first time.

2. It would be predictable.

3. It won't cause much emotional change in the reader, because we can't identify with the bad guys who get kiiled (whereas we could for Robb, Cat and the others).

4. The good guys will end up stooping so low as to violate the guest right, which won't sit well with us. They would lose all sympathy they had.

he is a little arogant for my liking. but he is one of the more nice lannisters

Considering the Lannisters we have met so far, that's not saying a whole lot. ;)

The BWB is definetely planning something at Riverrun but I don't remember anything about a wedding. It could just be some sort of celebration feast that wipes out a large number of Freys. The sort of thing that will make the Freys realize that nothing they do is actually safe. Tom o Sevens is up to something and it would be a fitting revenge for UnCat to repay the Frey's in kind.

Daven agreed to marry a Frey and soon. He won't travel back to the Westerlands for it so that leaves two locations:RR or the Twins.

I hope a RW 2 doesn't happen, even if it's the bad guys who we hate that get massacred.

1. It won't be as shocking as the first time.

2. It would be predictable.

3. It won't cause much emotional change in the reader, because we can't identify with the bad guys who get kiiled (whereas we could for Robb, Cat and the others).

4. The good guys will end up stooping so low as to violate the guest right, which won't sit well with us. They would lose all sympathy they had.

How would it be predictable? It's a theory pretty much limited to viewers of this forum which is an incredibly small percentage of the ASOIAF fandom. The average person won't see it coming. And I'd still be shocking and contains and emotional punch for the readers, just in a different way. The word catharsis comes to mind.

Considering the Lannisters we have met so far, that's not saying a whole lot. ;)

Daven agreed to marry a Frey and soon. He won't travel back to the Westerlands for it so that leaves two locations:RR or the Twins.

How would it be predictable? It's a theory pretty much limited to viewers of this forum which is an incredibly small percentage of the ASOIAF fandom. The average person won't see it coming. And I'd still be shocking and contains and emotional punch for the readers, just in a different way. The word catharsis comes to mind.

I agree with you, we're a really small percentage. But I meant a tragedy at a wedding. We've had those before. Major events. You can't expect to start reading about a wedding without a shred of doubt that something bad could happen.

And another wedding massacre? Let GRRM disappoint and alienate us and make us hate him in other ways! I'm sure he's got some more pretty nasty twists and shocks lined up for us.

I agree on the catharsis thing. Sometimes we just want to be able to watch the hammer drop and it would certainly be a nice book-end to the UnCat subplot that started with the Red Wedding. If it's not being played as a shocking or unpredictable event then there's no reason to criticise it as not being shocking or unpredictable.

Plus, the Red Wedding itself was so heavily foreshadowed that I doubt many readers went into it expecting Robb to survive, and the emotional impact wasn't any the less simply because we could see it coming from several chapters away. Cat's death certainly did take me by surprise but I don't think it would lose anything if it had been telegraphed beforehand either

I agree with you, we're a really small percentage. But I meant a tragedy at a wedding. We've had those before. Major events. You can't expect to start reading about a wedding without a shred of doubt that something bad could happen.

And another wedding massacre? Let GRRM disappoint and alienate us and make us hate him in other ways! I'm sure he's got some more pretty nasty twists and shocks lined up for us.

I guess I have a different take on it then. I don't think we are going to see a different take on weddings until closer to the end of the series. I look at the weddings in the series as partly a commentary on political/social institutions so it makes sense that they don't end well.

Either way, if it happens, I doubt it will be in the prologue since it would probably break the pattern. Unless we see it through the eyes of the RR maester. So, that means getting a POV in the Riverlands and the only two available are Jaime and Brienne.

I agree on the catharsis thing. Sometimes we just want to be able to watch the hammer drop and it would certainly be a nice book-end to the UnCat subplot that started with the Red Wedding. If it's not being played as a shocking or unpredictable event then there's no reason to criticise it as not being shocking or unpredictable.

Plus, the Red Wedding itself was so heavily foreshadowed that I doubt many readers went into it expecting Robb to survive, and the emotional impact wasn't any the less simply because we could see it coming from several chapters away. Cat's death certainly did take me by surprise but I don't think it would lose anything if it had been telegraphed beforehand either

Perfectly stated. Although, I didn't see Robb's death coming even though I knew something bad was going to happen.

I certainly do not think that being somehow Frey makes a character deserve death automatically, even Freys may be human beings and some of them never took part in the Red Wedding.

This may appear as nice satifying catharsis for us readers but a second RW would be as much a crime as the first one.

This 100%.

The responsibles of the RW (Black Walder!) must be punished by death for sure. But an indifferent massacre of all humans named Frey? Thats lower than low. thats Vendetta style. this is not the Stark way.

The thrust of things with unCat and the Brotherhood, along with the mention of the Lannister-Frey wedding does seem to me to indicate that something might be bubbling. Indeed, as previous posters have mentioned, there are a lot of elements circling Riverrun at the moment, swirling around a lot of unfinished business.

This 100%.

The responsibles of the RW (Black Walder!) must be punished by death for sure. But an indifferent massacre of all humans named Frey? Thats lower than low. thats Vendetta style. this is not the Stark way.

Vendettas may not be the Stark way (although it appears Arya didn't get that memo) but they seem to be the mutilated undead Tully/Stark way. I believe Lady Stoneheart was created to do things that Starks wouldn't do, and that she and her band are going to do something major in the Riverlands. Taking back Riverrun would be that something major, and a wedding might give her the opening to do so in a very satisfying way. However I don't think that it would be consistent with what we know about the Late Lord Frey for him have the wedding of one of his daughters or granddaughters anywhere but the Twins. He'd want to make sure the wedding takes place and the bride is bedded to make it official.

Archived