Is Hot Pie overrated as a baker?

Khal Pono

The fact that she broke Lem Lemoncloak's nose is metaphorical and not to be overlooked--indeed, it is suggestive of her disdain and disregard for all things citrus.

I thought that she just symbolically lashing out against Sansa (who loves lemoncakes) by hitting a man named Lemoncloak.

The real translation of the Valaryan prophesy does not refer to the Prince, or Princess, that was promised, but the Pie that was promised. It should be perfectly clear that Hot Pie, the only baker who gets any page time, is going to be the one to forge the Pie. With fire! And and salt! Truly, he is Azor Ahai Reborn.

:bowdown:

I've also been having some doubt with regards to Hot Pie's baking prowess. In particular, I also took notice of the scene where Hot Pie criticized the innkeeper's baking with the assumption that he kneaded the dough too much. Now, in my experience when making a loaf of bread, there is no such thing as kneading too much. Too little kneading and the loaf will fall apart when you slice it.

Hot Pie might be a good baker when it comes to pies, pastries and scones. However, I doubt that he can bake pizza or sourdough bread.

I've also been having some doubt with regards to Hot Pie's baking prowess. In particular, I also took notice of the scene where Hot Pie criticized the innkeeper's baking with the assumption that he kneaded the dough too much. Now, in my experience when making a loaf of bread, there is no such thing as kneading too much. Too little kneading and the loaf will fall apart when you slice it.

Hot Pie might be a good baker when it comes to pies, pastries and scones. However, I doubt that he can bake pizza or sourdough bread.

I have to disagree with you there. It is in fact possible to over-knead bread dough, just like it's possible to over-mix muffin batter. And the result for both is a baked good that is tougher than it should be.

Hot Pie lives!

No he is a false saviour - he serves The Great Oven.

Why do you assume the Great Oven is evil? Not everything is just plain evil or good. I think the great oven is aligned with the Children of the Feast and are simply a diametric opposite to the Baker who was promised.

Why do you assume the Great Oven is evil? Not everything is just plain evil or good. I think the great oven is aligned with the Children of the Feast and are simply a diametric opposite to the Baker who was promised.

Excellent points here. It's Red R'hllor who is the bad guy if there is one. All he ever wants to do is burn things, and as we all know, burning pies makes them inedible. With bread you might be able to salvage the inside but burning will ruin a pie.

The Great Oven seeks to keep heat in balance and turn out perfectly delicious food with the help of his or her disciples. That doesn't sound like a villain to me.

I mean look at the evidence. Hot Pie sounds a whole lot like... Azor Ahai. You cant just ignore evidence of this level. And Im pretty sure you cant say Azor Ahai wouldnt be a good baker. Thats like saying Jesus Christ cant hit a curveball.

Wow I really hate the way this fandom under appreciates this character. Its like you all judge him so much more harshly than say Tyrion or Arya just because you don't have the empathy to identify with this character. I would argue that Hot Pie is george rr martin's most complex creation, an unparralelled exploration into the conflict of the human heart. I know that he gets alot of attention in the fandom because of his (virtually canon) theories, including R+L=HP, piebowl!, dragon-fire oven, and the delicious hot pie-paste, which frankly is a superior and more refined taste to jojen paste. But despite all this people forget the true intent of his character. The development he has seen, the hardships. This fandom disgusts me sometimes quite frankly.

How can you all sit here and judge his baker-skill? I bet none of you have even tried his product. Until you have actually eaten one of his pies they are both amazing and utterly horrendous!! It's not until we try we know for sure!

Schrödingers pie :)

Archived