Is Jon Snow the true hero of this series?

Davos' fingertip

He's the only one who cares or cared about the threat and am trying to do something about it. People will say Stannis cares but sitting on that ugly chair is Stannis' main goal not protecting the human race.

And comparing Jon to that monster Jaime is gross.

Trying to do what about it? What has he done to stop the Others. so far he has aided the wildlings to flee from them...running isn't stopping.

Stannis will care and WILL do something about it. 1) If he wants to sit on the Iron Throne, that involves defending it...against ANYONE....even ice zombies.

Jamie at least had legit reasons to forsake his vows, Jon didn't. Whether or not you think the comparison is gross is irrelevant.

I disagree with almost all of the above, but agree that he's not "the" hero of the series. There is no single hero or savior. Bran might end up the most powerful character, and Davos could end up king. We know nothing, lol.

I'd be ok with Davos being king :) Won't happen, but at least he is someone who is truly 'good' and possesses hero qualities.

If you think the point of Jon in the story is to be the hidden prophecied hero of the story, then you are wrong. I think that trope will be subverted and there will not be any true hero in the story. I think Jon will end up fighting in the ice faction in the War for Dawn and will be an antagonist to the rest of Westeros.

Of course he is the hero

It´s Jon and Daenerys story and maybe Tryrion`s

He may die or not at the end, but it is obvious the rest is supporting cast, doesn't matter how great they are or how much you like a particular character, it´s not their story

If you think the point of Jon in the story is to be the hidden prophecied hero of the story, then you are wrong. I think that trope will be subverted and there will not be any true hero in the story. I think Jon will end up fighting in the ice faction in the War for Dawn and will be an antagonist to the rest of Westeros.

And Dany will be everyone's saviour and bring peace and balance to all mankind, the end. . . Keep dreaming

If you think "Boy with promise is played out to be a hero and becomes a villain" isn't a trope, you should probably go talk to Anakin Skywalker.

Either way, people take the "subverter of tropes" thing waaaaay too far. There are definitely still tropes in play in this series.

"Scared young girl discovers magical power and becomes a mighty queen" Totally not a trope.

"Stubborn tomboy uses boyish nature to beat the odds of survival and have adventures" Not a trope either.

"Ugly, malformed black sheep of the family shows great skill and intelligence, works way into power" No tropes here.

"Parents die so kids can learn harsh life lessons, develop their latent talents" Nope to the trope.

"Otherworldly beautiful line of people rule with an iron fist with the use of magic" Michael Moorecock? World of Warcraft? What are those?

"Beautiful maiden locked in a tower, raped by a mad prince"/"Beautiful maiden falls in love and runs a way with a handsome, dashing prince" Not the oldest tropes ever written, no way.

I could go on and on. GRRM likes to break expectations, sure, but remember that not every reader is one of us here at the forums. Not everyone analyzes things like we do, or even cares enough to. The average reader most likely doesn't expect Jon to be the hero, and will be completely surprised when he does, just like the average reader doesn't know about RLJ.

ARYA is the true hero . She appears in every book, she is learning many more skills including other languages , while Jon can barely merge with Ghost , she merge with Nymeria from half a world away and with cats and she has a goal which she is working her way to . Even though it's kind of psychotic .

Of course he is the hero

It´s Jon and Daenerys story and maybe Tryrion`s

He may die or not at the end, but it is obvious the rest is supporting cast, doesn't matter how great they are or how much you like a particular character, it´s not their story

How is it that people who never even interact with or meet Jon or Dany are supporting cast for them?

Trying to do what about it? What has he done to stop the Others. so far he has aided the wildlings to flee from them...running isn't stopping.

Stannis will care and WILL do something about it. 1) If he wants to sit on the Iron Throne, that involves defending it...against ANYONE....even ice zombies.

Jamie at least had legit reasons to forsake his vows, Jon didn't. Whether or not you think the comparison is gross is irrelevant.

I'd be ok with Davos being king :) Won't happen, but at least he is someone who is truly 'good' and possesses hero qualities.

If Jon didn't let the Wildlings through, westeros would face at least a 100.000 more undeads. To me that is a pretty big deal.

Archived