Is Jon Snow the true hero of this series?

Davos' fingertip

Ice and Fire don't mix ;)

Obviously they do, or no Jon. :P

You could argue that it was enough of an impediment for Jon not being able to grasp his skinchanging abilities, due to his dragon blood. That it was finally breaking the threshold when he experience immense physical stress, from the stabbing, that it crossed him over and warged Ghost. Yet, even before the stabbing, Varamyr and Mel was able to sense Jon's gift as something to be of note and significant.

You could argue that it was enough of an impediment for Jon not being able to grasp his skinchanging abilities, due to his dragon blood. That it was finally breaking the threshold when he experience immense physical stress, from the stabbing, that it crossed him over and warged Ghost. Yet, even before the stabbing, Varamyr and Mel was able to sense Jon's gift as something to be of note and significant.

You could, if Bloodraven didn't happen to be one of the strongest skinchangers there was.

Ice and Fire don't mix ;)

We don't know what the Song means. But I would rather see Ice and Fire as opposing forces. A game of thrones at a higher level. I would rather see Jon as the sellsword in Varys riddle with the king, the priest and the rich merchant. The man who decides the outcome of the war.

Of course Jon is not the only hero. Bran and Sam and others are heroes too. Who is LOTR hero? Aragorn? Gandalf? Frodo? Sam? Daenerys is the first or second POV, she has done the greatest achievements so far. So she is obviously a hero too. But to me, she seems to be the doomed or misguided hero. I don't know what GRRM has in store for her (no more than any other characters), but so far it does not look too good.

You could, if Bloodraven didn't happen to be one of the strongest skinchangers there was.

Can you say this again for those in the back of the room? Because :agree:

If "ice and fire" don't mix, then why read a series about a song of ice and fire? Keep in mind that this is a song of ice and fire, not a battle of ice and fire... or a tragedy of ice and fire... it's a song.

Now, yes, GRRM is deconstructing the whole idea of "songs" in the story (Marillion comes to mind). But even if it's cataclysmic, ice and fire do mingle in this story, and whenever they have, there have been powerful characters created, and pivotal plot events move forward.

Jon is one of the few who cares for the welfare of all before himself and his honor. And who are the others like him? Aemon, Mance, Davos (will side with him at some point), Sam. Jon and his team are the best characters. They must be the heroes.

Sorry, but GRRM does not write that way... Just when you start expecting a given course of events or a given outcome, GRRM shatters those expectations...

By the end of TWoW, Jon will be an antagonists not the protagonists that everyone expects...

Sorry, but GRRM does not write that way... Just when you start expecting a given course of events or a given outcome, GRRM shatters those expectations...

By the end of TWoW, Jon Dany will be an antagonists not the protagonists that everyone expects...

Corrected.

I think people like Jon and want him to be the hero because so many people liked Ned stark, and the starks in general.

Sadly his character as we should all know by now, knows nothing.

He lacks intelligence, a good ranger, but nothing more.

He has forsaken vows, and doesn't have the 'excuses' that Jaime was able to use.

Not sure if he is really hero material.

I think people also default to Jon due to a lack of alternatives, all the 'good' people are all minor players.

GRRM was wise to make this happen.

I think it's a mistake to use the word hero, much less true hero when talking about GoT.

I think people like Jon and want him to be the hero because so many people liked Ned stark, and the starks in general.

He has forsaken vows, and doesn't have the 'excuses' that Jaime was able to use.

I think people also default to Jon due to a lack of alternatives, all the 'good' people are all minor players.

I think it's a mistake to use the word hero, much less true hero when talking about GoT.

I disagree with almost all of the above, but agree that he's not "the" hero of the series. There is no single hero or savior. Bran might end up the most powerful character, and Davos could end up king. We know nothing, lol.

Lol.

He's the only one who cares or cared about the threat and am trying to do something about it. People will say Stannis cares but sitting on that ugly chair is Stannis' main goal not protecting the human race.

And comparing Jon to that monster Jaime is gross.

Archived